Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Benfica fans have pointed to Nemanja Matic but you know who his body mechanics, movements and style remind me of more than anyone? Kevin De Bruyne.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree as well.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored:
    921377003298873346 is not a valid tweet id

4. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    This was a friendly - Yes?????

5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yes. They haven't had a league match since 30 September. Their next official match (match day 10) is this Sunday vs Uniäo Madeira.

Winoman and DC_Dave repped this.
  6. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Thank You

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    This kid is so intriguing, completely different than anything we have ever seen in our pool. Just so smooth on the ball, great vision and changes gears while appearing to run the exact same. Really interesting prospect for me.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the kid is a winner, he oozes with confidence like he knows what is going to happen next, you don't think he can do a play and then pulls the rabbit out of the hat like in the clip where he just reaches out with his long leg and passes the ball to himself in mid-air. I wonder how he would perform with Mckennie having his back, interesting thought.for the immediate future.

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    TxEx, LouisZ and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Coach Pelaez says he rolled his ankle in Practice on Saturday but should be good for next week.

Gacm32, TxEx, Starman* and 7 others repped this.
  11. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Sadly, still out of the squad due to injury...

Fortunately, it's given him the chance to check out his brother's goal keeping for Harvard:

I hope he's good to go next week, because I'd LOVE to see him called into the upcoming camp... USSF should be rewarding kids who have forged their own path in Europe, and Keaton's playing at a decent enough level that he deserves to be looked at by the USMNT brass.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USS shouldn't be acting like people's daddies, giving them positive reinforcement when they follow the program's preferred path, and negative when they don't. Of course not everybody has the same circumstances anyway, and the state of the sport in the country would be worse without a viable league, so some players have to go there even if all had the option of going overseas, which they don't.

Your suggested call-up system sounds an awful lot like the one employed by Klinsmann which contributed to our biggest embarrassment in the country's footballing history. Here's a thought: how about we just call up players on the basis of them having proven a sufficient amount and being still an athletic age? Instead of trying to be their daddies or show how prescient we are.

superdave repped this.
  13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but he is already in the country and I feel like he will be get spot mins for Benifica soon. He is one to consider for the future, why not call him in if healthy.

The Irish Rover and Gacm32 repped this.
  14. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Klinsmann lost to Trinidad & Tobago and drew to Honduras? Julian Green, Ventura Alvarado, Andrew Wooten, and Timmy Chandler were involved with either of those games?

Look, I get it, you can't just call up kids who move to Europe, and you're putting words in my mouth by suggesting I said that AND you're perpetuating a rumor that creates a convenient straw-man for you and the rest of the "Klinsmann was the REAL problem with US Soccer" crowd... I mean it's not like Jurgen started calling in Perry Kitchen just because he moved across the Atlantic, and he certainly didn't stop playing Beckerman or Wondo even though they were MLS lifers.

Parks moved to Portugal and then to the best team in Portugal without playing for a USDA club or being called into a single USYNT camp... he wasn't even on USSF's radar until he tried to move to Benfica. That's damn impressive.

Lastly (and this is honestly the best reason to call him into the camp at least) he will be a 2 hour drive away from the game...

15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Camp? Maybe. Gameday roster? No.

16. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    That's what I'm advocating for. I'm not convinced he's even at sub-level, but considering the lack of communication between parks and the USYNTs it'd be nice to have someone at least say "hey, we see what you've made for yourself, and if you start getting senior minutes at Benfica you can be in our plans"

The Irish Rover and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One step at a time, he should be called to camp and if he out-performs (Williams? or JG) then why not give him minutes. A player that was frozen for months and then quickly ascend to be one of the best players in a Benefica B team is a remarkable feat for an 18 y.o.

wixson7 repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I speculated on twitter that the fact he trained with Gil Vicente during his enforced hiatus may have influenced him not being on the squad. I have no idea if it's true but, fwiw, his Mom liked the tweet.

19. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Who is Gil Vicente and why does it matter?

20. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Gacm32 repped this.
  21. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    20, but still, just going to Portugal straight out of high school having only played amateur club soccer (NPSL level, but still nowhere near the level of dedication required to play pro) is an amazing feat. And yeah, going from half-a-season of no soccer to out-and-out starter for Benfica B means he's got talent worth evaluating.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Renaissance Portuguese poet and playwright.

eliwood and dougtee repped this.
  23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s your twitter handle?

24. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit at this video. There are established and celebrated playmakers who couldn’t string together a highlight clip like this.

No surprise Tab wasn’t interested. This kid obviously plays a thinking man’s game.

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    The Portuguese second division midfielders sure give thinking men time to think.

He’s got some silky skills though. It will be interesting to see what he looks like at a higher level.

The Irish Rover and butters59 repped this.