Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he still has interest

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I may be completely off base, but I would think he belongs to Benfica now. At least the fans on their forum are of that opinion. I suppose, though, that Benfica could renege and Keaton would be on the open market again.

TxEx and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he belong to Benfica? The article you posted sounded like his contract was torn up and he was now a free agent.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Varzim's president sold him to Portimonense as part of a two player sale with Rui Costa (without involving Keaton or his agent). In the mean time, Keaton's agent had arranged a sale to Benfica. Keaton refused to go to Portäo, so Varzim refused to release him. There is an argument that, since he is now released, he is free to honor the sale with Benfica.

This is, admittedly, speculation and I could be way off on the legalities.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is free, but Benfica will have to still want him. I hope they do, but I know nothing about their situation. Maybe it has changed since Jan?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #281 Eighteen Alpha, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    I would actually prefer he not go to Benfica. I think he would wind up playing a year on their B team if he goes. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but I believe he could be a first team player for a smaller club.

edit: Ironically, Portimonense could have been the perfect situation for him. He would have been there since January and would have helped them win the league. So he could have been going into Primeira Liga next year as an established player.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's VERY unlikely he is still obliged to go to Benfica. Common law system or Code law system, such agreements are time-limited if the agreement says so; if someone or something prevents Party A from accepting the offer, that's not Party B's fault and the offer lapses.

He's a free agent now, with its plusses and minuses. I expect he'll still land an offer at a higher level than Portimonense: if Benfica, Sporting, an unnamed Ligue 1 club and Braga were interested 5 months ago, someone (though maybe not at their level) will take him on.

Like @EighteenAlpha said, I'd rather it's not Benfica B; he needs Portugese D1 PT, and the route to that is a little too stacked for a guy who's been out of action for nearly 6 months. Braga, on the other hand, would be very good; competition for PT, high standards, good coaching and there's said to be a strong selling-on culture.

TheFalseNine, Gacm32, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of right of first refusal but I am sure, on second thought, that you are correct.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True.

Plus, the fact that he's been made a free agent right at the end of the season is a welcome break. No European clubs are looking for players who are ready to play within 10-20 days, so his lack of match-fitness is a problem for nobody. He's offering his already scouted, noted, and widely disseminated, abilities ready for pre-season training, which makes him no different from anyone else who's available on a Bosman come June 30th.

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    869326302129553408 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, ielag, TheFalseNine and 5 others repped this.
  11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Free at last. Free at last. Thank God almighty he's free at last.

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #287 Eighteen Alpha, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    It's rumored he is going to Benfica. Article is behind a paywall but the headline says it all:

Igor e Keaton Parks a caminho da Luz
    Águias podem anunciar em breve a chegada de mais dois reforços oriundos da 2.ª Liga

"the Eagles can announce soon the arrival of two reinfocements coming from the Second League.

http://www.record.pt/futebol/futebo...lhe/igor-e-keaton-parks-a-caminho-da-luz.html

And the Benfica boards are lit up with the rumor:

https://serbenfiquista.com/forum/mercado/keaton-parks-(varzim)-o-jogo/60/

13. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There's a youtube video of him with Varzim that was posted in that forum. It's a nice reminder of how well he played to get a look with a team like Benfica.

Anyone have a clue about how loaded Benfica B is at his position(s)? He needs playing time most of all. If he can continue to dominate the Segunda Liga Benfica is the type of team that will give him a shot. They're all about the sell on opportunities.

14. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot how athletic this kid is.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #290 luvdagame, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    he actually looks unathletic and slow in this showing, tho his ball movement is good - and more important. may not be the best video of him.

LouisZ and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you figure that but ok.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He does look kind of slow, but his footwork and ball control, along with his soccer IQ and passing looks excellent.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He doesn't look freak-of-nature athletic -- guys his size who can play ball, and move just a bit more smoothly, can be big stars. Maybe he’ll be one anyway. To me, he plays like a reasonably skillful, reasonably athletic guy who just happens to play like a guy who would usually be two or three inches shorter, rather than a "big guy."

He moves his feet quickly and accurately and doesn't look gawky or stiff. He tries stuff and plays naturally. At his size it's an unusual combination -- the last U.S. attackers who sort of fit this description were maybe Cooper and Shea, but Parks seems like a more conventional midfielder that those guys.

In the right situation, I suppose anything's possible, though surely many managers would see Parks, put him in the middle of one of the three lines, and tell him to “put himself about” a bit more.

As a free agent, and with a U.S. U20 callup on his resume on top of anywhere else, I would not be surprised if he explores opportunities outside Portugal -- but that's just a guess.

Namdynamo, Winoman, Scotty and 4 others repped this.
  19. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say he was fast, and there's more to athleticism than linear speed.

His coordinative abilities stand out to me particularly but not only, for a player +6'3.

The balance, the agility, the rhythm and body control.

He's very intriguing.

20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hope he doesn't have a agent who looks out for himself instead of the client

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't recall any clips of him running full speed in straight lines. He looks a little bit gangly what isn't unusual for young skinny players of his height. If Benfica is interested he isn't that slow.

22. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    In hindsight his situation makes a lot of sense.

He apparently played well enough to establish himself as a starter very quickly after his debut... Then all of a sudden stops playing, at all, immediately. Where there's smoke there's fire, and that he apparently took them to court and won would seem to be proof of that.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #298 The Irish Rover, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    He doesn't look really athletic - by our standards, but he probably looks pretty athletic to the Portugese who, in any case, place athleticism rather lower on their list of essential qualities.

I remember Eric Dier (who grew up in Portugal and came through the Sporting Lisbon system) commenting that, in Engalnd, if you're not athletic (pace, power, stamina, aggression, tackling) you have no real future whatever your other abilities, while in Portugal your athleticism is a necessary platform to apply your non-negotiable technical attributes (touch, passing, tactical discipline).

A bit slow? Probably, but Portugese football is a lot slower than the UK, Germany or MLS. In any case, at 6'3" he needs about 5-10 metres linear running to reach top speed, which you don't get that much of in football and a whole lot less of if you're operating in or around midfield.

From that video, Parks looks to have significantly above-average athleticism for the Portugese game, in addition to all the technical qualities in your list that they prize, but it's his spatial awareness and decision-making that really stood out for me. Those can be refined and improved, but they can't be taught. He's probably too good for their D2 already. The question is whether he'll be good enough for D1, and for which clubs.

Namdynamo, ChuckMe92, m vann and 3 others repped this.
  24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    How much top end speed does he need running through the middle of the park? If he can move like M. Dembele at Tottenham, not the fastest but powerful (as he fills out his frame) and masterful with the ball at his feet he'll be more than good enough for any league.

That's what's going to take him to the next level, his ability to dribble, his willingness to do so, his passing and vision. At midfielder he doesn't have to beat two defenders with speed. His soccer IQ is what matters and it seems like he's got a decent soccer brain.

Let's just hope that wherever he goes in Portugal once he shows he can dominate Segunda Liga 2 he gets his chance at the first division. Because if he can the doors to everywhere in Europe open up and Braga, Benfica, Porto, Sporting all offer some type of European competition too.

The Irish Rover, PalmettoSpur and Gacm32 repped this.
  25. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    I want to clarify something about Parks' background as a player. I saw a couple of posters in this thread say that Parks had played in the Development Academy, but I haven't seen that said in any of the US sources that have been linked (including the announcement that he had signed a letter of intent to play at SMU) or the name of one of the Dallas area DA clubs given. One of the sources said that his NPSL coach set up his Portugal trial or whatever exactly step one was in the process that led to him signing with Varzim. One of the most interesting things about Parks is that he appears to be a non-DA player, or have I missed something?