Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was glad he wasn't overlooked. I wonder, if Ramos is actually looking at BS boards from time to time.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, Parks embodies your typical US athlete that will excel because of his will to succeed.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No doubt.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Maybe. But it could just be a shot across the bow aimed at Varzim or a requirement due to the status of the legal process to list him as unattached. I'm not a lawyer but perhaps listing him as with Varzim would reinforce the club's claim.

5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I wish i knew some details so I can use my basic knowledge of business law lol.

6. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Eighteen Alpha and bballshawn repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Doubtful, if you're talking legally. As @justinpaul10 pointed out it's a civil code system, so something that would be a real stretch in an Anglo-American system would be a coked-up-after-a-bad-acid-trip-reach over there.

I'd definitely buy it as a psychological ploy, though. The kid has impressed enough to get Benfica (or was it Sporting?) looking closely as well as scouts from Ligue1. It could be worth the USSF's while to reach out to the Portugese FA and ask them to "help us out. The kid is good and we want to know what is really going on down there. Off-the-record, of course." Varzim will have seen the unattached listing and part of their brain(s) will be wondering if the USSF have done just that and be gearing up to get involved. I doubt it will happen, but if it does it will be a whole lot more than they bargained for. when they started this stand-off.

This kind of BS happens a lot in Portugal, where they're used to dealing with corrupt Brazilian and other Latin American clubs and FAs and poor kids signed up to Traffic-style third-party ownership schemes. Relatively straight-shooting American bodies and kids with enough $$ to hire capable Portugese lawyers will be new to Varzim's owner. Regardless of the legalities of his case, at some stage the hassle/threat of of hassle may just make him decide he's made his point and to fold.

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nice analysis. Thanks.

And I lean more towards the shot across the bow/psychological pressure theory but, again, it is ignorant speculation on my part. The bolded occurred to me as well and I am hoping it turns out to be the case.

9. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do you have any insight on the Keaton saga at this stage?

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #261 Eighteen Alpha, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    While Keaton's legal battle remains unresolved he has begun training with Gil Vicente F.C., also in the Segunda Liga.

Jogador americano que rescindiu com Varzim treina em Barcelos

- Abr 29, 2017

https://maissemanario.pt/jogador-americano-que-rescindiu-com-varzim-treina-em-barcelos/

O americano Keaton Parks, que recentemente rescindiu com o Varzim, alegando salários em atraso, está a treinar junto do plantel do Gil Vicente. O litígio entre o jogador de 19 anos e o emblema poveiro está ser apreciado pelo Tribunal Arbitral do Desporto (TAD).

Apesar da Liga de Clubes não ter dado razão ao Keaton na decisão de rescisão por falta da pagamentos, uma vez que o Varzim apresentou os respetivos recibos de vencimento do atleta, o médio alegou que, estando a trabalhar à parte do plantel poveiro, não tinha condições logísticas e psicológicas para desempenhar a profissão.

The American Keaton Parks, who recently rescinded his contract with Varzim, claiming payments in arrears, has begun training with Gil Vicente first team. The litigation between the 19 year old player and the Povoa club is in front of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (TAS).

In spite of the League of Clubs not deciding in Keaton's favor in terminating his contract for lack of pay, once Varzim presented the athlete his due salary, the midfielder claimed that working as part of the Varzim squad, he did not have the logistical or psychological conditions to carry out his profession.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    If you are referring to the last sentence, I think this relates to his allegedly getting banned from the club grounds, denied inclusion on any roster, etc. The "logistical" argument would then, if i am correct, mean that he can't carry out his profession if he doesn't have access to the workplace. That is my best guess, anyway.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    at least this is a creative depressing thread instead of the usual depression inducing injuries/benchings/etc

Winoman repped this.
  15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yea, right up there with "So you want to be my Litex salesman."

Winoman and dougtee repped this.
  16. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    That's how I would take it as well. He's trying to terminate his contract, first he alleged that a Varzim had already failed to perform the contract by not paying him, which would be grounds for termination, but it looks like Varzim cured that deficiency, so he is arguing that either this is a hostile workplace or as you have said. My guess is there would be a precedent for termination on this basis.

TxEx, bballshawn and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...club seems to have enormous power over young up and comers. (player not to be named because he's not the only one & I don't want it to become that thread) despite his other faults, was right to make benfica pay him.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if he is training with Gil Vicente first team would we take that as an indication that he didn't make the cut for the U20?

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was always unlikely

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What's more, FIFA's deadline for the provisional, essentially binding, U20 roster appears to have been before the England camp. Ramos would've had to have a heck of a lot of faith in Parks, among others, to include him on that roster having never called him in before. Of course, it's possible that he did and does.

21. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    The article posted above indicates Parks took his case to TAS. Without knowing much of the specifics, I would think he has a decent case with TAS and should be able to sign with any club he wants as of this summer. The kid probably has a good case for financial compensation due to being frozen out of the squad under dubious circumstances.

Gacm32, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  22. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Without digging through pages of stuff, can anyone sum up what the deal is with this case?

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Great news for Keaton.

http://www.record.pt/futebol/futebo...e/keaton-parks-rescindiu-com-justa-causa.html

Keaton Parks ganhou o braço-de-ferro com o Varzim. No dia de ontem, a Comissão Arbitral Paritária deu razão ao norte-americano que, em fevereiro, rescindiu com o Varzim por justa causa. A informação foi confirmada a Record pelo advogado Pedro Macieirinha.

Agora, Keaton Parks é um jogador livre e poderá decidir onde vai jogar na nova temporada. O médio chegou ao nosso país em 2015 e chegou a despertar o interesse de Benfica, Sporting e Sp. Braga.

Keaton Parks won his arm wrestling match with Varzim. Yesterday, the Joint Arbitration Commission ruled in favor of the American who, in February, rescinded from Varzim for Just Cause. The information was confirmed to the Record by the attorney Pedro Macierinha.

Now Keaton Parks is a free agent and can decide where he will play next season. The midfielder arrived in our country in 2015 and awoke interest from Benfica, Sporting and Braga.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So he missed like half a season? Not terrible.

If he was injured for half a season, no one would be saying its such a huge career set-back.

25. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news.