Keane in the Media

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Pegasus503, Aug 19, 2011.

1. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane was a great player for the Galaxy. That team of him, Donovan, Beckham with Omar and AJ controlling defense and Peneda in goal was a pleasure to watch, and I wish Bruce had taken CCL more seriously, because I would have loved to see that team play in a meaningful match at the Club WC...... The Galaxy deserved that chance...... :(

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    MPNumber9, Berks, kaburu and 2 others repped this.
  3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't know. Keane went crazy when passes weren't pin point perfect to where he thought they should be and often stopped playing to argue some call that he was typically wrong about. I don't think that's proper management material. Maybe a technical director or Academy coach.

The Beautiful Gamer and The Cadaver repped this.
  4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I have no idea how he might evolve as a manager, you can look at the more famous Keane with a similar penchant for yelling and he’s been a complete failure as a manager.

Keane would bring experience in 4 different leagues, have first-hand knowledge of MLS and what it takes to win, have been coached under Arena. He reads the game very well and isn’t just a technically gifted striker, compared to say Gyasi or dos Santos. He wouldn’t be at all intimidated with having big name DPs on his roster like many coaches in this league do and I don’t think he would back signing a big name just for being a big name – though I’m pretty sure he would have signed off on Gerrard.

This may be damning him with faint praise, but I’d take him over Onalfo, Masteroeni, Petke right now, with no experience. I’d probably even take him over Berhalter, Porter and Marsch.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Keane is a pretty smart guy so I think he will likely want to get some experience as an assistant before moving into head coaching. So my guess is he will play two more years and then work under a head coach for a couple more years and then try his luck at the helm. I think he has a chance to be a good coach for the reasons you state plus because of his competitive fire.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 5 Robbie Keane goals in MLS.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/17/top-5-robbie-keane-goals-mls
    Probably agree with these (my personal fave is the volley which vs. TFC, which also gave LD the all-time record). Any other great ones they've forgotten?

Gorgeous first touch vs. Club America

Fantastic goal vs. Morelia (around :50)

Solo goal vs. San Jose in the 2012 playoffs to start a 3-0 blowout (around 2:50)

luigi-55, rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I know the MLS Cup goal was great for the reason it was the final, but this one is awesome too :

Love the building on that goal too :

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Funny how so many of those were chip goals. Also interesting watching the game-winner in MLS Cup 2014 I hadn’t realized how clever that goal was. Some very subtle movements from Keane sold a left-footed shot, then a right, then buried it with the left.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't forget this one:

Half-way versus Galaxy II

TrickHog repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1460 skydog, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    How the hell did mlssoccer pick those 5 goals as Robbie's best? You guys did much better at picking some of his beauties.

One thing some of these show is how our running off the ball was so much better in 2011 and 2012. Even Buddle made some great runs that perfectly pull a defender away from the action and create new space for his teammates to work in. Those intelligent runs were too often missing this past season when half of the time our players would run into the same space or drag their defenders into the very spaces teammates were attempting to attack. Or just would just stand and watch forgetting the value of decoy runs.

Also Keane's 1st goal in the 3-1 win vs SJ was sweet (at 1:15 or so).

hav77, MPNumber9, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Bruce didn't (or couldn't) correct that tendency is one reason I thought he had gone stale on coaching at the club level. The Bruce who came here years back would not have allowed that to happen - because that kind of thing is teachable.

hav77, kaburu, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  16. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    L.A. Native repped this.
  18. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Keane wanted to sign with a MLS team, but this league is a copycat league, which made that virtually impossible. For a minute there it was trendy to try and sign as many USMNT players from Europe and bring them into MLS (Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Jones, Edu, etc). Then we saw a huge splurge in teams trying to get aging European starts (Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo, Kaka, Drogba, etc).

I believe that Keane couldn't sign with a MLS team because of the potential backlash from their supporters who are all screaming, "We want younger, in their prime DP's; also preferably from South America!"

Keane probably has more to give in this league, if given a chance. But I can't see any MLS team, during this trend, giving him that chance.

21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It’s going to be interesting to see what Robbie does next and what his replacement brings to the Galaxy. Short term it might not reflect too well, I think he’s got some legs and DPs in MLS are always a gamble. LA could sign Hernandez and dos Santos and both could be miserable failures.

22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I largely agree here. The question is what did Robbie want from the Galaxy or MLS. I don't think he has much in the way of legs left, but he does have heart and a ton of experience on how to break into clear space and put the ball onto the frame. As they would say in the NBA, he has an old man's game.

Although I don't know anything personally, I did see the posts here about problems in the Galaxy locker room, that Landon tried to address. After repeatedly seeing Robbie's histrionics on the field, when a pass wasn't exactly where he wanted it, I can see, Robbie as the captain, perhaps calling players out in a manner that was not productive to team harmony and perhaps damaging his reputation among both his peers and in other league offices.

23. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Robbie training with Al Ahli

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting for Robbie to tell everyone that he was an Al Ahli fan growing up in Ireland, and never missed one of their televised games.

TrickHog, 73Bruin and Beakmon FC repped this.
  25. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog and shelbo repped this.