KC Wizards vs. FC Dallas Pre/In/Post Game Thread [R]- 10/15

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Oct 11, 2005.

1. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

Huh?

Huh?

Even if HSG lost $5 million apiece annually on the Wizards and Crew (which they didn't), that's $100 million. Throw in $5 million annually for the Burn for the past 5 years, that's another $25 million. The expansion costs and Burn acquisition couldn't conceivably have been more than $20 million, total, and it wasn't that much. $65 million on stadia. That's, what, $205 million. Throw in the 2000 re-investment...I'll even say it was $15 million, which it surely wasn't. $220 million....and, let's be honest, that number is grossly overstated, especially since they own saleable assets for those cash investments.

If you think that Lamar Hunt lost more than $20 million over the years of the Tornado, then I don't think you understand the concept of inflation, especially with relation to the soccer world since that time.

Billions, is a big, big number, even for Lamar Hunt.

2. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet there's been no income but all expenses? :p

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said "lost", I said spent. And sure, there was income. I'm just saying the guy has been willing to invest in the sport at levels few others have matched, let alone exceeded, so I have a hard time saying the guy is cheap a$$. He made a business decision to not spend a small amount of money - and we don't like that decision - but that doesn't overshadow the money he HAS spent, even in KC.

4. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Don't get me wrong. I really admire Lamar Hunt for his continual contribution(s) to the sports scene in the States, and to the soccer scene in particular. I can't think of any tycoon I admire more.

However, making decisions based on the concept of "what is the least amount I can spend to make this sport not fail" is my definition of a cheap a$$.

So, its time to turn your attention to the game at hand, and cease this drival nonsense on our forum.

5. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Now I know what it felt like to be a Fire fan in 2000 with Meola between the pipes. This is painful at times seeing him pull these saves out of his ass.

6. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I echo the same comments that Gina did. You guys were awesome and it was great chatting with ya'll at the tailgate. I hope ya'll had a good time at PHP. It sucks that your season had to end this way with fat Tony sticking one at your team and the Hunt family as well. Anyway I hope your team would return next season instead of moving out of K.C. Wish the best of luck to you.

7. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds about right.
    God, Chivas should have had that first goal. ON THE LINE. OMG. :eek:
    And then, Meola saved SO MANY... I guess after that they deserve to be in the playoffs, but still...what's going to happen to the Wizards?
    Does anybody know how the sale is going? Because I want them to stay where they are.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    A few questions for those of you who went on the road trip:

1. How much did you pay for the tickets in your section?

2. How would you characterize the view of the game in that section? Did you feel you were missing the action on the Southern side of the pitch?

I appreciate any responses.

9. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $15 I think it was... a deal worked out for our group.

We are used to sitting in the corner so..... I thought it was good.
    Although, yes.. it was a bit harder to follow on that end.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on this point, but then again we're usually used to not really being able to see that action.

11. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would echo George & Milke. However, the giant "jumbo-tron" screens in the corners on our end really helped with the view of the far corner.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ditto. Used to it. Never even crossed my mind. I felt right at home. :D