KC Wizards vs. FC Dallas Pre/In/Post Game Thread [R]- 10/15

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Oct 11, 2005.

1. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, this is it. I don't think games come any bigger than this.

I don't want to say that our guys are playing for the right for KC to exist (it has nothing to do with our limbo), but it still kind of feels that way.

Getting a win, making, and going deep in the playoffs, can be nothing but good things all the way around.

I'd think Lamar would probably be at this game. I hope he gets to hear the Cauldron's best ever roadtrip. Wish I could make it, bad knee and all, as it looks like there won't be a TV feed for this game.

What else could the scoreline be?

One-nil to the KC Wiz. Go get 'em guys.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC Wizards vs. FC Dallas Pregame - 10/15

Is a big game for us indeed, and I'm glad we got the support of the traveling Cauldron for this big game as well. We have nothing to do but win, since the Metros play Sunday, we need to win this one. A win basically puts us in since we will have at least a 7 goal advantage over Metros going into their match with Chivas if we win.

I wouldn't mind seeing the same lineup from the first half on Saturday. Or I wouldn't mind at least the set up of it, with the 3-5-2.

I think we'll likely see our normal 4-4-2 though for this game.

And I pray to God this is not the last Wizards game ever.

3. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas

Davy Arnaud HAS to play for us to win this game.

A guy with that kind of heart can't be sitting on the bench.

4. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas

Also... I'd really like us to win this game.

I think it would be a good thing.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Quick note, since the two moderators will be on the road this weekend and won't return until Sunday I've made this thread the Pre/In/Post game type.

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Now about the game...

First, we all know that we have to win. From what I saw last weekend, Antii must start. Davy must start. Also, I feel Gansler is waiting too long to make subs, especially with Preki. If we need a goal to either tie this thing up or win, we need to get Preki in there around the 60th minute, not between 70-75. We will score and we must, for once, hold a lead. If that can't happen, our season is most likely over.

I have this huge fear that this, if the game doesn't go well, could be the last one ever for the Wizards. Lots of emotion will be flowing this weekend. If we win, we make the playoffs and there's always a chance. If we lose, it could be the end of it all and I can't even predict my reaction if that happens. It'll be a long ride home if we don't win.

7. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I apparently am very much in the minority here, but I was not impressed with Antii at all.

I thought he was out of sync with his teammates, stood around a lot (not in the dario fabbro/onandi lowe "i'm not going to run to the ball" way, but just standing a lot), and slowwwwwwwwwww.

the first one bothers me the most, because it really seemed that his teammates had almost ZERO confidence in him.

the second one bothers me some just because I think this is a team that needs a lot of work off the ball from our forwards to score goals, seeing as we have so little midfield creativity. That being said, when he was working, he worked very hard...

the third one: seriously... the guy is slow. Buzz Carrick of 3rd Degree.net, IMO the best MLS newssite out there, was sitting next to me in the pressbox at the game, and commented that Antii may be the slowest striker in MLS. He went as far as to specifically mention that Antii was slower than Matt Taylor.

8. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    I think it is part of this emotion that has been weighing on the Wizard players themselves in the last couple of months, as they really have a desire to stay in KC. With all the uncertainty, there heads just aren't 110% in the games. I hope to heck they can pull this win out, as I agree, they are almost playing for their future in KC, let alone the playoffs.

GO WIZARDS!

9. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Merlin - I agree completely. Anti didn't play poorly, but he didn't hustle and push to the ball as a forward needs to do/should do. If a pass wasn't to his feet, he wasn't getting there, and forget about actually chasing a ball down with so much as a half-hearted effort. I'd prefer Davy out there over Anti. Or, maybe it's Anti for the first half, with Davy coming in in the second half at the 45 min mark (and yes, I know Gansler would never do this, but it's worth the dream). Anti coming in to provide some service to Wolff and wear the defense down a bi in the first half, and then Davy coming into to run them into the ground in the second.

10. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally thought he played well, if only for the fact that he seemed to make Josh play better. He got the ball to Josh several times and gave him a chance to make something happen. Josh played with a fire that I haven't seen him play with in over a month. I think he was getting the ball where he wanted it and that gave him a spark. Davy is relentless, and hustles more than anyone out on the field, but it seems at times as though he isn't on the same page as Josh.

I agree that the team didn't have a whole lot of confidence in him. Klein completely looked past him (and Josh) on his shot early in the first half. That confidence will come with time, I think. Also, the offense seemed to shut down after Gansler took Antti out, although that may have been because Sasha couldn't get anything going, either.

I think both should play, and I think Antti should start. Set up the passes, wear down the D, maybe get some early goals in, then bring in Davy to burn them with his hustle and speed. However, I can't blame Bob for starting a seasoned Wizards vetran over someone who's played once, even if it was a good game.

11. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    KC scored two with Antti in the lineup and then gave up two with him still in. Say what you will, but KC was effective forward in more ways because Antti could hold someone off and distribute. That skill changes the shape of defense and creates gaps. Don't forget Jimmy scored from about 2 yards out as a reflection of that lack of shape. Pre-Antti KC is attack from the wing OR kick it around in an umbrella shape too far away. Bread and better defending, everything happens in front of you.

You wish Antti was faster, but there have been MVPs in MLS that couldn't spell "fast". KC has fast guys. If they have the courage of conviction and Antti finds one, KC can and will make a run to be respected. It'a an "if", but one KC has not had all year and still managed to put 50 in the net...and apparently a dozen or so off the posts.

Someone tell me Klein will put three shots on net instead of wide, Antti will take Davy out to lunch midweek and work some stuff out on napkins, and that Bo will stop just one shot not right at him. Tell me all that and I like KC a lot.

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    COL scored on their last shot and only shot on net to win 1-0 in Salt Lake City. RSL dominated play all game but failed to beat the returning Joe Cannon. Don't look now but Colorado is unbeaten in 6 and has the best defense rolling.

It's important only because now Chivas, with a win over Metros on Sunday can avoid being the worst teeam in MLS. It's a nice carrot for a team that has been kicked around almost all year until lately - Chivas is unbeaten in their last 2, 1-0-1.

A Metros loss of course, puts KC in the playoffs.

13. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like no tv for this one so any of us not lucky enough to be going are stuck with ************ match tracker.

From what I saw I liked Sumiala, I think he gets the start again.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd guess Antii would start because he's been training with the team. Practicing with a Trini team that just beat Mexico I'd guess hasn't been bad for Scott Sealy's game however.

I like our options, and would rather see us have them both on the field if we need offense than the d-mid extravaganza we trotted out last week.

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, it looks like we're going to be generally healthy for this one, other than the question mark about Ruiz. He had a bad hammy going into the recent two game stretch for Guatemala, and although he played well, he wasn't 100%.

Without him or Mina (who is also comging from far away), our offense has struggled a bit.

Odds are we will play the 4-5-1 we've been using lately rather than the 4-3-3 from earlier in the year. ROB will be in the middle of the park with Wilson and a rested Simo (which ought to make a difference). On the outsides you're looking at Nunez (who has been en fuego for the past four weeks or so) and Rhine (instead of at right back - his play at right mid has been stronger than the other alignment with him at fullback, Ronnie outside and either Talley or Pitchkolan in the middle). On defense, we have Goodson back from a slight hip injury, Vanney, GBandi on the left and Steve Jolley on the right. Garlick in goal.

This has been a relatively defensive alignment. Team that have opened up space in the middle have had success against it. Teams that haven't, haven't.

Travel safe, folks, and we'll see you tomorrow.

16. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Any chance you'll trot out a scrub lineup like you did last weekend?!

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    No....Colin Clarke has gone on record saying this game is important. He doesn't want to back into the playoffs and we are still playing for homefield advantage in the 1st round.

BTW, you can listen to a webcast of the radio coverage on www.990texastalkradio.com

18. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    damn

19. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Damn. I'm on a Mac... and can't open the Live broadcast link.
    Can anybody help me with the necessary plug-in?

I'm sure I'm not the only one P[SSED OFF over the no TV deal.

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    This might work for you. It looks like Windows Media Player on my computer. This is their version for Mac OSX.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/Macintosh/osx/default.aspx

21. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GO WIZARDS!
    PS- I can't believe I finally found other people who like them. :eek:

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck tonight. I hope you win so we can play again the next two weekends. I know the Revs can beat the Swamp-rats but KC always plays us tougher and thats the way the playoffs should play out.

23. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 15 minutes until game time, which means time to start drinking.

24. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    starting lineup according to mlsnet, looks like the 3-5-2

1 - Bo Oshoniyi (GK)
    3 - Nick Garcia
    5 - Kerry Zavagnin
    6 - Jose Burciaga Jr.
    7 - Diego Gutierrez
    9 - Sasha Victorine
    12 - Jimmy Conrad
    15 - Josh Wolff
    17 - Chris Klein
    18 - Antti Sumiala
    22 - Davy Arnaud

--------------Bo
    ----Garcia--Conrad---Burciaga
    Klein----Guti---Zavagnin----Arnaud
    -------------Sasha
    --------Wolff-----Sumiala

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    is anyone else like.... nervous as absolute f u c k????????

I am about ready to piss myself. I've been praying all day. Anything to help.

This is it. Good luck Wizards.