KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2 (Now Governor approved!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    A baseball analogue would be Dodger Stadium, which is basically hidden and surrounded by hills. It's kind of exciting to drive into Elysian Park through the hills and suddenly Chavez Ravine opens up before you with the stadium and lights and palm trees and everything nestled in this out-of-the-way area. From the top concourse of the stadium, you can see a great view of L.A., but the stadium is barely noticeable from the city below. This is all very beloved by Dodger fans.

However, I don't think it is in the best interest of the Wizards to be such a shrinking violet. While not building an eyesore, I think we need a stadium that is clearly visible to the traffic on 435. It might even be a good idea to have an electronic sign advertising promotions and upcoming matches visible to northbound drivers.

2. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and that's kinda what I mean by not 'hiding' it - but I suppose what I'm looking for is a prominent display towards 435 and whatnot but in the context of the entire Three Trails development have it be much less in-your-face/whatnot. This might be out of the realm of possibility or simply be more difficult than what it's worth, but if it is possible, I'd like it like that.

3. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I was referring more to the "Slap ugly colors in odd combinations all over every thing just because we can" 70s design aesthetic. Ah, the plaids and the burnt oranges and harvest golds and avocado greens of my youth....WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

I do like SombraAla's "big electronic sign by 435" idea. A lot. Gotta get the word out, and a ton of people drive that stretch of highway every day.

4. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who all got to attend the meeting?

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe it was the Cauldron Leadership Group plus a few others (I think).

Maybe they can chime in and confirm.

6. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they admit they were there, then we would know who to kidnap and torture. FESS UP, FOLKS! :D

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The first rule of Fight Club .... ;) :D

8. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    [​IMG]

9. JimK

JimK Member

Mar 9, 2008
    WaldoKC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Along with all of the other wishes and requests for the new stadium . . . Please Please do not lay down artificial turf!

Second request - make the pitch big - I mean Home Depot Center Big.

10. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.

I'd prefer something on the smaller side for the field. I think it would make a more intimate atmosphere for fans, a bit more imposing for visiting teams. The larger the field, the more you spread out the surrounding structures.

11. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    There is something to be said about providing a "home field advantage" on a field that is on the small end of the acceptable specs curve. EVERY team that visited the rather narrow field of the San Jose Clash/Earthquakes came away bitching about the difficulty of playing on such a narrow field.

The question might be: "Is it easier for a narrow home fielded team to adjust to a wider away field, or easier for a wide home fielded team to adjust to a narrower away field?"

Plan/design accordingly, t'is what I say.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would prefer a larger playing surface to increase the chance of seeing the "Beautiful Game" as it was meant to be played.

As for intimidating the opposition, well that can be solved by having the seats as close to the playing surface as possible. When you see those Olympic style stadiums, they maybe great to look at, but with the running track and so on, the crowd are a long way from the pitch and much of the intimidation factor is lost.

So, keep the crowd as close to the pitch as possible -- oh and having a roof over the supporter's end helps with that too (not a dead horse yet!)

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Too small a playing field makes the game more like indoor soccer. Give 'em some room to move and create.

14. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree. Make the playing field large and keep the fans close! And just ride the horse into the ground a little farther...put a roof over the cauldron!!

15. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Put a lid on it!

[​IMG]

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way things are going in New York right now, our stadium may be up before RBP.

17. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I approve this message.

18. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the front row being close to the pitch, the stands should have a steeper grade than the average stadium, so the 20th row is also closer to the pitch. And it would be louder.

19. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the steepnes of the stands at Tynecastle in
    Edinburgh,Scotland. The stadiums capacity is 18,008.
    A good capacity for your new stadium.
    Hearts of Midlothian play there.

http://www.scottishgrounds.co.uk/hearts.htm

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England