Kasey Keller best 'keeper US has produced, says longtime MLS GK coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jan 15, 2018.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hahnemann had some solid stats while at Reading in the Championship and in the PL. Just an underrated guy overall IMO

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He was plagued by bad timing more than anything else.

Gamecock14 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not top 3 in last 25 years? You're just trying to mess with US fans.
    (Full disclosure: I'm a US fan.)

But let's play.

Assuming you'd put Kaspar Schmeichel above him, who are the other two?

Did you mean...

His predecessor Kevin Poole (1991-1997)?
    From Wikipedia: "In 1991, Poole signed for Leicester City and went on to make 194 appearances in all competitions for the club between 1991 and 1997. He was part of the Leicester side that won promotion to the Premier League in 1994 and again in 1996, but subsequently lost his position to Kasey Keller.

...or...

His successor Ian Walker (2001-2005)?
    "Walker signed a four-year contract with Leicester City in July 2001 for a fee of £2.5 million, rising to £3 million depending on appearances. His first season at the club ended in relegation to the First Division, which he felt may have ruined his dreams of an England call-up for the 2002 World Cup. Walker had an impressive season with Leicester as they regained promotion to the Premier League, earning his first England recall in six years in May 2003.

He struggled with life in the Premier League, particularly in a match against Aston Villa at the Walkers Stadium on 31 January 2004, in which he conceded five goals in 18 minutes. Walker put up such a poor display in the match that he was confronted by a Leicester fan who ran onto the pitch, telling him he "didn't think he was fit to be a Premiership player." On 10 February 2004, Walker scored a bizarre own goal in a match against Bolton Wanderers to give them a 1–1 draw at Leicester. Despite comfortably saving Kevin Davies' shot, he lost grasp of the ball as it crawled over the goal line. He did make a comeback performance in a goalless home draw against Wolves on 28 February, putting up a "world-class save" to deny Kenny Miller. Walker pledged to stay at Leicester despite their relegation from the Premier League in the 2003–04 season. He was released from Leicester City on 6 May 2005, after the club could not afford him a new contract. Walker spent four years at Leicester."

...or maybe...

Mark Schwarzer (2015-16)?
    At that point a late career backup who made only 6 apps with Leicester, and those as a 43 year old.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Keller vs Friedel reminds me of Gerrard vs Lampard

which of the 2 had the best NT appearance or club season?

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #31 Placid Casual, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    No - Not trying to mess. Just an opinion from watching the games instead of reading on Wikipedia. I am basing it on performances for Leicester rather than from a US perspective.

Kasper Schmeichel
    Tim Flowers

Some Leicester fans would put Walker above Keller, some would reverse it. Hence the reason I said "not sure"

Kevin Poole was an excellent keeper for Leicester, his problem was that he was 5'10 and O'Neill wanted a taller keeper for the Premier League. Was also a large reason why Leicester got promoted. I would have him above both Keller and Walker. Others wouldn't.

No idea what Schwarzer has to do with anything. He was terrible.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It was more than being unhappy; Keller was openly complaining to the press in the middle of the tournament and even hinting there was some kind of conspiracy against him.

Terrible behavior on his part.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah, I recall reading he and Friedel really don't get along.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think I’ve laid out my reasons for my preference.

Keller was the starting keeper for Tottenham for the two season following that cup before losing the spot to Paul Robinson (actual or projected England #1).

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    My recollection through rumors was that the Meola and Keller was the biggest of them all.

11. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Friedel and Keller separated from the pack in terms of consistency. You know what to expect every time they went out.

Howard is the athlete who can have mental mistakes, but when locked in can be as good as anyone. Its just not always there.

For me I take Brad over Kasey and both over Howard.

12. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Yep. That is why they called him Front Post Tony.

13. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I am a Keller man.

I call Romario to testify!

taylor and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's Friedel over Keller, but I have no real conviction about it. It's close.

Howard's third, and I pretty much lose interest after that. Meola? Don't make me laugh.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Guzan or Hahnemann?

And we had a few other guys who got some games in the PL or Championship during the 90s

16. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Keller against Brazil alone makes him the goat for me. You had opposing forwards shaking his hand mid match because his play was god-like.

Friedel was one of the greatest of all time as well.

"Near-post" Howard is a distant 3rd. If you get bored, watch the Belgium game again and write down everytime a save was either shot right at him or in a spot 99% of goalkeepers should save.

Making 38363553 saves you should make doesn't make you great. Leaving your near post open time and time again, giving up goals you should save, is a trait of a not-so great keeper.

juveeer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    He and the original Near Post, Tony Meola, make quite a pair. Still, that is prolly the order

Keller
    Friedel

NP Howard

NP Tony

Everybody else.

Liking Zach Steffen of the youngsters so far.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All we need to do is look at their WC performances. Keller was '98 and '06, when the team finished dead last and near bottom in the tournament.

Friedel was '02 when, in part through his superhuman effort, we made the QF and outclassed Germany in the loss, the WC finalist that year.

Verdict - Friedel (for me). Always felt more confident with him in goal than Keller.

19. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Keller's skill with the ball at his feet is atrocious. I don't recall seeing any top flight keeper with worse foot skill.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's a shame Hahnemann was so overlooked for so long.

did he ever get a NT performance where he proved that he was pretty good?

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You remember the 2-2 WCQ in '97 against Mexico where he drilled a clearance into the guys head, resulting in a Mexico goal? That's a perfect example of his bad footwork.

22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andres Cantor used to say "Cuidado que es malo con las piernas!" ("Careful because he's bad with his legs!") when Keller got the ball at his feet, lol. Always been partial to Friedel myself but I can definitely see the arguments for Kasey.

23. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all view them through our own set of rules. People who say Howard value athleticism over positioning which is a real debate. People who say Keller are less worried with passing back. People who say Friedel want someone solid in all areas but doesn't standout as the best in any of them. Fun to read through the opinions.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Howard has had far more success than Keller, though Keller was a trailblazer of sorts.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think there's a bias against recency when it comes to Howard.

When Tim's career is over and we look on it as a whole (in other words not thru the prism of the 2018 cycle), we're going to start appreciating it a hell of a lot more.

This argument can go in circles. I think Friedel had the most talent and was the best keeper. However, for the USMNT the answer is either Keller or Howard. Cuz Howard won twice as many games for the USMNT than Friedel. Brad only won 27 games for the USMNT. That's not just less than Howard and Keller...........its less than Meola and Guzan. That's what a legendary World Cup can do for folks' memories. Which is great. However careers shouldn't just be evaluated on the World Cup alone.............