Kansas City vs Vancouver (Sat. Sept 30th, 8:00PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Sep 27, 2017.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sporting Kansas City plays host to the Western-Conference-leading Vancouver Whitecaps in a relatively enormous six-point game. Vancouver plays tonight at Seattle, so they will be on a short turn around.

2. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing we are hoping for a draw out of that one... All else equal, I'd rather those two contenders split two points than one of them get three. Fewer points in the pot - even if it extends the lead that Vancouver has.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draw is certainly number 1, Seattle win is second, because they'll level them on points with us, but they'll have played 2 games more.

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Red cards! Lots and lots and lots and lots of red cards!

IASocFan and kcfooty repped this.
  5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freaking Baldomero Toledo is the center ref for this one. Surprisingly, SKC has a winning record with him in the middle, 15-9-11. I still think he's crap.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Tony Chani did indeed pick up a red card last night, so he'll be suspended for this match.

Sachsen repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of the many really nice MLS newcomers around this year, I put Yordi (sp?) Reyna pretty close to the top of the list of those I intensely envy. He'd be great in Sporting blue.
    Obviously, this isn't the end, but being four points and a couple tiebreaking wins down to Vanc after this one would leave us as outsiders for the western title. but a win this weekend and we're clear favorites, with the lead and games in hand on everyone.

8. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not super thrilled that this is now an 8 PM kickoff.

vividox repped this.
  9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish they were always 8pm kickoffs.

10. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I love the 8pm kick. And, speaking of perfect, hello lovely fall weather. Great night for soccer on its way. Hope the team can continue to deliver.

Any noticeable absences? Besler and the cut over his eye maybe? Could this be EPBs big moment?

11. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler is definitely not playing tomorrow per his own words.

12. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Cannot believe that THAT team is in first place.

14. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I REALLY DON'T LIKE 8PM MATCHES.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad that we brought on Lobato at halftime. Tremendous addition to the squad. Benny sitting on the bench for the first 60 min of the match was inspired as well. Quality job, Vermes.
    Terrible performance. Zero points well deserved. Great pk, Rubio.

mschofield repped this.
  16. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Lobato wins the invisibility award. Hope Gerso isn't injured - they were working on his shoulder. What a crap fest. Don't think Vancouver shouldve been awarded the restart they scored the goal on. I guess zusi gets a rest in Minnesota. He played a great game, then competely blew that entire play on the red card.

mschofield repped this.
  17. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    As frustrating as it was, we basically ran circles around them until they launched a hail mary and flicked it in. Nice play. Effective. But they are easily beatable come playoff time.

mschofield repped this.
  18. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my complaining about 8pm is that it's the one match all year I brought my wife and now very cranky tired children.

To top it off, now my wife has reaffirmed her dislike for soccer because in her words, "it was too cynical and unsportsmanlike" due to "all the faking injury and unprofessional behavior." She then finished with, "I'm not sure this sets good examples for the kids."

Fabulous.

mschofield repped this.
  19. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    I'm not surprised. That second half made me wonder why I like soccer.

And to be clear, I absolutely despised watching Latif pull that fake injury crap earlier this season. It's just the worst part of the game that seemingly people accept.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Easily? There's nothing easy about beating them, but Rubio could have had a hat trick, and while they hand possession away willingly, SKC was quite dominant in the first half.
    Odd thing, the dominance ended when we apparently (according to the sideline reporter) decided that speed wasn't going to beat Vancouver, we needed a more technical player on the right side.
    Least impact on a match Salloi has had for a month. I suppose he can't score every time out, but both he and Lobato appeared to be in a hide and seek game in the second half.
    credit on their goal, it was quite a goal.
    Not sure Zusi actually touched Reyna, disco might overrule.
    Whatever they do, the first half from Zusi was brilliant, as much impact as i've ever seen a fullback exert. It was a Roberto Carlos level impact. Of course, Carlos was feeding strikers who could actually score.
    Rubio gets a lot of credit for finding so much dangerous space. but ffs.
    Any update on Opara? He looks like he's out for a bit.

21. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But hey, at least you don't have Andrew Wiebe pontificating about your post-game reactions. Oh, wait, nevermind.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, Zusi will miss 3 of the final 4 games now. You can't serve a suspension on international duty and he'll miss the next 2 with the US team (though the game in Houston on the 11th might hopefully count since it falls outside the international window). So if the game on the 11th doesn't count for his red card, then he'll serve it on the 15th.

23. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    We can easily put them in the category as beatable, not that beating them is easy. Everything else is correct. I thought medranda was far better than lobato, at least in possession. We were very inventive in working the channels and getting into the box. As usual, though, no killer instinct. Im starting to think gerso is afraid of the goal...

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So, no chance Zusi's red gets rescinded? Looked like the player slipped to me.

Also, I like VAR, but I don't like how MLS is using VAR.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Game was frustrating AF.