Kansas City vs Red Bull New York (Sun April 14th, 6:00PM CT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 9, 2019.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can't believe someone actually scheduled this to end right as the season premiere of Game of Thrones is starting. Ugh.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FS1 needs to fill air time.

3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You know who else needs to fill air time?

Daenerys Targaryen.

With her dragons.

mschofield, Blando13 and Savage_Sam repped this.
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t watch GOT so this is lost on me...

kcfooty repped this.
  5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dragons fly in air. So they... take up air time.

And now my dad joke has ended.

6. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then I'm reminded how much I miss neg rep... :D

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Back to the actual Game here, don't you have have HBO Go for just such occassions?
    I actually prefer waiting for a couple weeks and having a mini-binge.
    Also, I'm hoping SKC plays the second 11 again. they did a decent job last weekend, and we're going to need them to be as ready as possible down the line. They're good enough that they can grab points here and there throughout the season, IMO.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, if we're casting SKC as GOT characters:
    Zusi as Tyrion.
    Nemeth as Bronn.
    Besler as The Hound.
    Roger as Arya.
    Gerso and Johnny as Drogon and Rhaegal (dragons).
    Vermes as Bran.
    Edits or additions welcome

9. SKCKU

SKCKU New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is this the game that our sellout streak finally breaks? Looking at SeatGeek and the tickets that are available from the box office alone is insane, I am too scared to look at the map with the secondary market included. Do you guys think that SKC has finally outpriced fans or is this more of it's been cold weather problem?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pricing has been brought up by a number of my friends who have dropped season tickets in the last couple years.

IASocFan and SKCKU repped this.
  11. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, that kick by Kaku isn’t likely to be much of a stadium revenue generator. I have no clue what Robles was after Nemeth about. The post match statements by various nyrb aren’t exactly helpful in any regard either.

We looked dead legged at about 60 minutes. Gerso and Nemeth were somewhat invisible. Great strike by Salloi at the end, except for the woodworks getting in the way of the back of the net.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We came out on fire and really should have had 2 goals in the first 20 minutes. The Gerso sub should have come about 10 minutes earlier.

Croizet going forward from LB is nice. Croizet defending, is a huge liability.

IASocFan repped this.
  13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I felt Croizet had a rather solid first half, while Zusi had a really rough one. They switched for the second half and Zusi helped us earn points that Croizet could be blamed for us dropping. Though blaming him for not being great at the offside trap is a bit ridiculous--I thought he was positionally overall pretty acceptable, especially for a recent positional convert.

Nemeth was great in the first half and petered out.

Johnny was pretty good in the first half and petered out.

Besler saved our butts on many occasions.

I'm assuming it's the tired legs, but what happened to our passing game last night? I can't recall ever seeing that many errant balls into midfield before. Really low-qual showing on that front.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance 17,897, the streak is over.

15. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    just when you think you have seen every dumb way to get a red card during a soccer game.. life gives you a kaku.

overall probably two games lost rather than a point won, despite being behind 2-1 in the 86th. this redbull team was not very good. Next week is gonna be another bottom feeder team in san jose, I hope we can eke out a win there.

16. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Has anyone actually seen some of the NYRB player responses to the RC incident? Um, if what I’m reading is true, that’s unbelievably bad. Surely, what I’m reading isn’t true. ???????????

17. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Some NYRB trying to make the cauldron forget Tim Howard apparently....

Attached Files:

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am so excited to see our team get a normal week's rest. I hope Pete and Seth kiss and make up so we don't have to keep having random left footed midfielders attempt to play fullback for us.

Following up on the attendance comment, I wonder what has sucked so much energy out of the fandom this year. It predates the shattering defeat to Monterrey, though I'm sure that didn't help. I've just, among my friends and even in my own self, seen a diminishing enthusiasm for this team. We're frankly seeing the best soccer this team has ever played when they're on their day. The roster is significantly the most expensive to date, while also being supported by some really exciting up and coming young players.

So what's draining the spirit? I know lots of folks are getting priced out of season tickets, especially considering the consistent reduction in STM rewards year by year. Is it watching other teams in the league sign famous or exciting players for big money? I'd argue against that, because that was all going on before and during the early years of the rebrand when the momentum was highest among the fans. Is it just not as cool anymore? That last idea worries me a bit, because KC is usually a pretty reasonably supportive sports town and I don't much like the idea of heavily bandwagony fandoms. I'm not young enough not to continue to fear for soccer and MLS's viability in this market.

Maybe it was just a meh Sunday where everyone wanted to watch Game of Thrones instead and a week from Saturday it will rock unbelievably hard again, I dunno.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are all jokes, the only real quote is the Robles quote that Sam McDowell got.

KopRules repped this.
  20. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this. This was the first time I didn't wear long-underwear to a match, the forecast all week was for worse weather than we had (still 35 degrees less than Tuesday/Wednesday), we were absolutely drilled (in the cold) on Thursday night, GOT was on at the same time, etc. I think we'll come back. KC needs top-of-table teams to get media buzz (if you are not Royals/Chiefs) and we've not done ourselves any favors ceding league points in favor of CCL. Now we need to get as many points as possible before Open Cup season.

21. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS

Having no particular insight on this...two thoughts:

1) SKC had a young season ticket holder base when the new stadium opened. IIRC Robb noted once that the average age was 29 years. This could be a 'price' and 'life' sensitive group. Heading into the 30s, in many cases, priorities change...work becomes more demanding...throw in a kid...you spend money and time on different things.

2) Patrick Mahomes and Royals - the Royals currently suck but people may still spend some of their $ in that direction, spreading around sports budget. And there could be many people shifting their $ entirely to saving for Chiefs games, which are an investment.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said earlier, prices certainly plays a role, but I also think just game fatigue so far this year is a factor too. That was our 6th home game already this year, in a month and half (give or take). That's a lot of home games in a short amount of time.

Also, random fact, Busio hadn't even reached double digits in age when the sellout streak started.

23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, I don't expect the city to just give up on SKC from here. But I think this game was sort of symptomatic of the general trend here. The season ticket waiting list is all but gone in many areas of the stadium, fan engagement seems less, etc. I just get a bit concerned when people think the team needs to be challenging for trophies to have relevance here, because the truth is as the league and sport grows, we will see less and less of that going forward (unless there is major ownership or something changes). I honestly believe our days of cruising over the league like in 2012 and 2013 are not coming back.

24. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croizet is Le Réponse. The more expensive answer to the question no one asked.

How do you bring a guy here on a DP contract and not have any idea what he plays? Things we know: he's not a false 9, he's not a center mid, he's not a left wing and he's not a left back. Positions left to try him in: keeper.

I'd like to see the money we waste on Le Réponse spent on a backup for Illie. Melia has had more games off this season than Illie. That is a recipe for failure due to injury or fatigue.

25. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is an element of sports fatigue in the attendance drop. In late winter/early spring KC: hosted an NFL playoff, hosted Big 12 tournament, hosted NCAA regional, had Royals start their season, and had SKC start their season. That's a lot of stuff going on, plus SKC has had a good amount of home games this year already. I don't think its a trend as much as a blip. At least that is my hope.