Kansas City vs Portland (Sun Sept 29, 6:30pm CDT)[R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last home game of the season today.

2. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And if I am not mistaken, the first regular season game at CMP where nothing is on the line. Will be interesting to see how Vermes approaches this game.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will this be the last chance to see Zusi, Espinoza, Benny, maybe Seth play at home for SKC? From a distance, this game has an end of an era feel, though sadly with a whimper not a bang.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber and Sinovic are the 2 more likely of those 4. With Zusi and Espinoza still under contract through at least next season (and on guaranteed deals), they're less likely, unless someone comes in with a trade deal (that would still likely see us eat a little to a good portion of their salary).

5. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My last match as a STM. Making the whole family go, complaining all the way. Yay. It's definitely a melancholy moment in the hour leading up to it. See you there.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My oldest must not be old enough to be too cool for it, he jumped at the chance to come tonight, knowing full well the season is done

kcfooty repped this.
  7. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was hoping for a fun game but not this wild. And Daniel has no confidence at all, a perfect chance to take a shot and he tries to lay it off.

kcfooty repped this.
  8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At least I'm having fun! Was Portland's red a lucky break for us? Or was it deserved?

9. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping to see Besler in the 2nd half. Already got part of the old hits... red card Roger made his appearance. And too bad Zusi contributed directly to Portland's first goal.

10. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. A professional has to do something with that besides a poor lay off.

11. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so confused a penalty and a red?

12. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I noted that I hoped to see Besler, it wasn't for want of an Ilie red.

This was so 2019. Nothing making sense. Busio hitting woodwork twice. Salloi and Nemeth with goals. Lost points. 3 red cards.

So long section 128. It's been a fun 9 years. I'll still yell at the TV and from wherever else I grab seats in the future.

On to next year.

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, if the player committing DOGSO is judged as not having made any attempt to play the ball, it's a red even if it's a penalty. A correct call there.

Kooth repped this.
  14. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught the replay and yep no argument here. Wish they would show those in the stadium.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely frustrating that they can't show it in stadium, cause I had missed Espinoza's hands to the throat of Blanco and didn't understand why he'd gotten sent off originally either.

mschofield repped this.
  16. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big fan of Gutierrez. I like his fire, work rate, skill and leadership. But he lost it last night and was responsible for the dust up. I'm also not a fan of B. Fernandez but his red seemed soft (he slapped the back of Espinoza's head). Its crazy to me, in the era of VAR, that the person that caused the dust up (Gutierrez) played the rest of the game while Espinoza and Fernandez were both sent off for what was pretty mild contact to neck/head.

Gutierrez seemed pissed off about a previous incident. Any idea what happened before the scuffle? Anything to justify his crazed response?

17. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... there was ample shoving earlier. But in this case, he committed his professional foul, yelled a little, and was walking away when Fernandez circled him and got in his face. Yes Gutierrez "started" it, but I'd not call it crazed.

Inca Roads repped this.
  18. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we opened the stadium, we did. The front office caught flak for it, but they showed the replays all ways: For SKC/against SKC; ref right, ref wrong. I miss that.

mschofield repped this.
  19. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is your take on what happened, then we either watched different games or your SKC glasses are tinted very blue.

Gutierrez commits the foul, then gets in Fernandez's face and points towards the NE corner. The Fernandez pops up and they get in each others faces and are immediately given yellows. Then all hell breaks loose and Gutierrez goes full psycho. If Gutierrez hadn't gotten in Fernandez's face (after fouling him), nothing happens. My question is, what was he pointing at? Did something happen between the two of them that merited a response?

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was also wondering what he was pointing at. Had the tussled in the box earlier? Had someone taken a cheap shot at Melia?
    Per audi, it was a very well played game. Unless you were a defender. We had 7 guys above the average MLS performance line (would have been 8 without Roger's red! I know, aside from that, Mrs. Kennedy, what did you think of the motorcade...). Portland had 9.
    Just a quick look is interesting, Busio went 76-5 on his passing, and had an int, a key pass an aerial won and two tackles. They also added a category, hit woodwork, which is different than missed shot, and was wildly positive for his point total, so that's a bit odd.
    Nemeth was 33-4 passing, and had a good number of positives, take on, tackle, 2 aerial challenges won, along with a key pass, also lost a challenge.
    Salloi was our best player per Audi. 39-7, and lost 4 aerial challenges, but aside from that was all over the positives. Two take ons won, a shot blocked, a key pass, a clearance.
    Russell had a strong outing, but it is a bit odd that he wasn't more involved. Maybe the fact that he won 3 take ons and lost 3 explains why his passing numbers were similar to Salloi's 36-6, but two of those were key passes.
    In any case, it wasn't a horrible outing.

21. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See 53rd second of video embedded here: https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=533014 He's walking away yelling to the ref and Fernandez caches him from behind and hits his arm down - then they really get in each other's faces. And yes then, all hell breaks loose.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Roger's screw up aside, I actually really liked what Gutierrez did on that play. Committed a tactical yellow, yes, and then turned, said one sentence, and smoothly talked the Portland asshat into a yellow as well. I thought it was slick as hell.

mschofield and kcfooty repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The kick back could have been trouble. Otherwise, I agree.
    In Roger's defense, I don't think it looks as if he was going for the throat so much as the chest. But, you know, he shoots high.

Formulaic repped this.