Kansas City vs Los Angeles Galaxy (Sat. Oct 6th, 7:30PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 1, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well this is a big game.

Spassapparat repped this.
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're not going to make it, the secondary market is being quite kind.

vividox repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So a lotta Zlatan shirts in the crowd? That said, he scored his 20th last weekend and will probably finish first and second in goal of the year. If this is how stars retire, we could use some retirement players.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mschofield repped this.
  5. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    one of the worst Penalty calls I've seen.

Kooth repped this.
  6. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some dangerous opportunities but no SKC goals, so frustrating.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making another average goalkeeper look like an all star, I call it the Sean Johnson effect.

Kooth repped this.
  8. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't wait for the Johnny Russel audi index breakdown. 7 Key Passes. Oof

9. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rarely bag on the refs,,,but Jair Marufo was a complete embarrassment tonight. Calling him an idiot would be an insult to idiots.

10. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    That tackle on Rubio was like...20,000 people are thinking 'It's not quite enough for a red...'

11. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ok, so Marufo blew it on the foul he called on Besler. Maybe his eyes fooled him, whatever. But, I'd like to know what the VAR official told Marufo. Was it, "Hey, you should look at this, because you potentially made an error." Or, was it, "I do not see any possibility that there was an error."

12. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that one has to be more on the VAR official than anything. How can he look at the dive and not have the ref review it.

13. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 BenDover, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    I’ve watched that penalty call over and over in slow mo. I don’t see how the VAR official didn’t have Marufo look at it. Kamara is going away from the goal and jumps into the air prior to Melia going under him. If you look at it from the angle behind the goal, it doesn’t appear that Melia even touches him. Marrufo claims that Besler tripped Kamara, but the video shows a different story. Sketchy call at best.

mschofield repped this.
  14. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    As much as I really disagree with the call. I feel like this is our revenge for the VAR call that we got in ATL .Even with technology you win some and lose some.

15. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    I think most neutral fans will disagree with the call, but with that one at least you can make an argument - at least in one slow-mo it looks like there was a slight touch by Besler. Even if you consider that a penaltyworthy incident, it'd still not be a penalty since the ball was going out of bounce but oh well

The really absurd one was the no-call against Rubio during stoppage. The slow-mo that shows Marufo in the front with clear sight, no one in between him and bingham/rubio, and then bingham muhammed ali style punching rubio in the head is pure gold.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just cruising through the Audi numbers and man, we kicked the crap out of LA. What did we win by, six? Seven? What?...crap.
    A team score of 5534. 10 players rated well above average for a MLS starter.
    As an overivew, let's look at key passes. A player with 2 is doing well, 3 is quite excellent. As a team, 10 is dominating. But v LAG we had 23. As a comparison, LAG had 5.
    The definition is passes that led to shots that could have scored. The best of the night was Jonny Russell. as noted, seven key passes, goal, two more SOG. four succesfull crosses (huge number), won a tackle and an aerial battle and the only possible negative was only 36 successful passes all night (so 20 percent were key? wow) and 12 incomplete. These are really good numbers for a wing, but he's been on the ball a bit more. That said, he was not the problem.
    But, by the numbers, no one was. Except Melia. Melia's -83 would indicate an abysmal night. OTOH, he lost 385 Audi points for taking down Kamara (which even the report says he did not, that is blamed on Besler's phantom touch) which led to the goal. If that call had gone correctly, SKC is up around 6000 and he's well into the above average category.
    Our bellweathers were quite solid. Ilie at 440 with 95 completed passes and six misses was kind of the definition of what he can bring to the game. He added two clearances, two ints and a key pass, though lost three challenges, two of those in the air. Espinoza at 329 (remember, 230 is a solid average performance) was 39-9 on passes, with three won tackles, two ints, two clearances, two aerials and a corner won.
    But, okay, this game cannot be defined in any way by Audi. Everyone was great, simply great. The numbers scream victory. We totally dominated, played at a very high level for MLS.
    I know it's easy to say, bad call, stupid VAR missed it too, but FFS how did we not convert more than one shot? We used to have games like this all the time. It was really frustrating.
    One moment of elation for me was that Salloi, who overall looked almost back but still a bit off, had one brilliantly quick fire, when he forced a decent save. We'd been missing that.

BenDover, dgb09 and siskoeva repped this.
  17. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As others have said, thanks for the Audi analysis. I look forward to seeing your post after every game.

mschofield and siskoeva repped this.
  18. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Your Audi Index reviews are great. Thanks for keeping these coming.

I recall this shot from Salloi and was similarly excited to see it. Unfortunately, I don't remember thinking much more about Salloi's night, to the point that I thought he had not so great a night. That's just my eye test and happy to be corrected if others saw more.

But I would really like to have seen Nemeth in that left wing spot. He's going to Hungary national team duty and will miss a game or two now. It would have been a good game to try him out there. He is not a good fit for center forward with this version of SKC. The wing is where he will be able to make a difference. And we need to see that before we get into the playoffs and don't have time to try something. Heck, we might be past that with three games left and a dogfight to stay above the road wildcard line.

mschofield repped this.
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didn't mention Salloi's overall night by Audi. It was okay, he was slightly below the average line, 198, but he lost 75 points for a yellow card that I don't remember costing us much. His issue: Uninvolved. He had 27 complete passes, five misses, so 32 passes in all, two were key. He won two corners, blocked a shot, had a clearance., but also lost a tackle and conceded a couple out of bounds. Not bad, but not busy.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard that you have only 2 wins in 16 games refereed by Marrufo, who has given you over twice as many yellow cards than your opponents, 29 to 14.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit