Kansas City vs LA (Wed May 29th, 7:30PM CT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, May 28, 2019.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    72 hours later we’re back.

Zlatan is back for LA who last played Friday.

Nemeth got another game suspension for his red card and is out again.

2. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t understand the DISCO tacking on another game for a straight forward red card offense. SKC just can’t seem to catch a break. Tired legs and few subs vs a well rested team will be a tough challenge for SKC. They pulled it off Sunday, but without Besler and Nemeth I can’t see a good outcome on Wednesday.

mschofield repped this.
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler expects to play tomorrow. It was cramping Sunday.

4. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right. He was grabbing his hamstring before he limped off the field. I would think that to be cautious, Smith would start and have Besler on the bench. SKC will probably need Besler rested for the Houston game since they have a more potent attack.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA also having some injury issues on their back line.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I misspoke, he said he expects to be available, so I lean more towards your thinking that he's on the bench.

1133362625193099267 is not a valid tweet id

7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F4 tornado heading right toward CMP.

8. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mess with my church Mother Nature. We've put up with enough bs this year.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy didn't make it into town tonight.

10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may want to take a bus. It’s more relaxing and safer.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, this game could go so many silly ways.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lovely night. So far weather is perfect.

13. oldntired

oldntired Member

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This team is very predictable. With a few exceptions the games all pretty much play out the same way. Or they play out along a couple of predictable patterns. Sporting posses the ball the entire first half. The other team sneaks in a soft goal in the second. Sporting never scores and gives up another goal because we have everyone forward. That's one. The other is back line plays high and we get torched because Zusi, fontas, and others are way to slow. We loose 3 or 4 to 1.

Sporting needs to start hasler and medranda going forward. That will help. As soon as possible Rowe needs to be back on the bench. This will help but probably won't make enough of a difference. This year is toast.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, as soon as I saw we were starting Zusi, I knew we'd lose. Maybe not a rational knowledge, but a kind of acceptance.

I'd much rather see Hasler take that spot and Zusi fight for relevance in the midfield right now.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the same time, starting Hasler after playing 90 vs Seattle and then Houston this weekend wouldn’t have been the best idea either.

16. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, because the April/May MLS record was 1W-4T-4L? Or because we're 20 pts out of first place after about 1/4 of the season? Or because this year is the year that MLS changed the playoff format? All of the above?

Fontas got torched in a sprint by Zlatan last night. Torched! And we're paying that guy $1M! No wonder Opara was so pissed off. I've also said this before, but Fontas has the athleticism of an average player in my over 40 league. Great, he can pass, but as soon as he has to turn his body he's lost the battle to 99% of the players in MLS. I don't get it.

The worst part of this season is that all the talk last year was about how the roster and those acquisitions (Guti, Croizet, Russell) were made with this season in mind. Of course that talk came about after the playoff loss to Portland. Best laid plans....

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I liked Fontas for a while but his weaknesses are too easily abused by the other team. He's definitely overpaid for his depth of contribution.

Vermes early on seemed to value athleticism too high, but in the last five or so years has moved further and further away from that. I think it's time for a return to that priority, just to a degree. Too many teams can absolutely torch us. We win way too few second balls. Teams know how to overpower Vermesball these days unless they're brutally incompetent. The team dynamic really needs a little shift.

18. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, its too bad that in MLS you pretty much need to pick between technical ability or athleticism, especially in your defenders. Not many players have both. I agree that we've sacrificed too much athleticism in the quest to get better and better technical players. We look pretty and pass the eye test, but the results are starting to look more and more like Spain 2018.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    See, I think that is shifting a bit. I'm seeing more and more complete-looking defenders show up on rosters. I mean, Besler was way ahead of the curve years ago, but the curve keeps moving. I think Fontas would have been amazing a decade ago.

20. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It would have meant more shifting of people out of their "normal" spots but I think we might have been better off last night with Hasler at RB, Zusi at the right wing, Russell on the left wing and Rowe on the bench.

21. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extra bodies sure would be nice. Any idea why Alex (SPR) doesn't get a callup? I think he's a real bright spot at LB.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need an international roster spot we don’t have.