Kansas City vs. DC United (Sat. March 31st, 7:30PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Mar 26, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    DC United have not had an impressive start to the season: two draws, two losses, and a -4 goal differential. Their defense has been just as bad as ours has, so hopefully that means our offense can put up some numbers this weekend. Considering our defense, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another shoot out. Wouldn't mind seeing Amor start over Opara on Saturday.

2. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agree that we need to shake up the CB pairing.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU is bad; we are looking pretty good. We are home which should be an advantage; therefore this is a trap game.

Uppa 90, vividox and mschofield repped this.
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So pretty much like the last time they visited here.

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Any chance they move this up an hour and have FF watch parties?

Maybe too late at this point...

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There have been moments in all of DCUs games this season when they've looked pretty interesting. They have not been even kind of capable of maintaining those moments for 90 minutes, though.
    Asad is quite good, obviously. Mattocks is really fast. Arriola can be great (will he play, or will he sit?) Acosta is nice. It's a good ish group. Maybe the balance is off. They can make us pay for defensive lapses

Sachsen repped this.
  7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time this happened (SKC & KU in the Final Four on the same day) was 10 years ago in 2008. KC did move their game up, but that was at CAB and with only a few hundred season ticket holders. The dynamics have changed a lot since then.

mschofield repped this.
  8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they sure as hell better not. i think we're past that bush league stuff at this point, aren't we?

Uppa 90 repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was wondering what FF stood for. Essentially the same starting time, right? Easy choice for me, even as a KU grad. I wouldn't watch college sports unless I had to for work. But that's a big rough for those who want to see both.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reminded that SKC didn’t move games for the Royals’ World Series runs in 2014 and 2015 either, can’t see them moving for KU now

mschofield repped this.
  11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, i absolutely can. i mean, i don't think they will, but i could see it.

12. roos79

roos79 New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Says the man who gave up their SKC season tickets this year and won't drive all the way to OP to see Ranger games, they better please you.

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the last time this happened March 25, 2012, our last non-sellout? KU played North Carolina in the Midwest Regional Final.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t a Final Four, but yes.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what does that have to do with this? sidenote... i don't know if it's impressive or disturbing that you have that info ready to go against me, not that any of it bears any relevance to this discussion.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On Opara bobblehead night? Didn't we do this once before, bench someone on their bobblehead night?

17. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KU is killing the ticket resale market. I'm out of town for the match, and I took a hefty loss on my tickets to move them amidst a sea of low priced inventory. If someone is wanting to watch a game from good seats at a great price, this is the game.

I'm going to guess that there will be a lot of STMs that stay home and don't bother with resell. The team may figure out how to make the match a "sellout"simply for ongoing marketing purposes but I expect it won't feel that way at all to those in attendance.

18. hartley

hartley Member

If memory serves — PV benched Teal Bunbury on his bobblehead night. Teal came on as a fairly late game sub and scored the game-tying goal. Teal's celebration was to make himself a life-size version of his bobblehead.

Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  19. SKCKU

SKCKU New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Welp. I think this is the game our sell out streak gets broken, just checked Seat Geek and there are tickets available in ALL seat sections besides two sections..

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't be surprised at all if it's announced as one, no matter what it looks like.

SKCKU repped this.
  21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, you don't actually have to sell all of the tickets to consider it a sellout. i seem to recall the number being around 90% or something like that. there's no way the front office is gonna let a few tickets distributed cost them their sellout streak.

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it wasn't the prettiest, but 3 points is 3 points.

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    medranda's defending ... i mean, i know we got three points, but his defending is all i can think about. that was some of the worst i've ever seen ... ever.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, so it says something about us that we look less of a threat when Felipe leaves, as Felipe has at this point the his highest season goal count since at least 12/13 (i stopped caring) when he scored 6 in 43 games, though only 2 or 3 were league.
    That said, we were in control of this game, from the beginning to the end.
    I thought that was far and away Ilie's best game of this season. He was vintage Ilie. He was very solid in defense and good on the ball and even looked like himself in the attack.
    Opara's best game of 2018. He did put a foot or two wrong, but made up for it all around. Very strong in the air and a rock on the ground, even looked decent on set pieces again.
    Croizet was a very decent deputy. Different pace to his play, but a nice train conductor. We haven't had that in the past. A central to plans piece goes down and we don't really miss a step? The depth is strong with us.
    Shelton. I think I'm sold. He needs to score, but he's doing everything else right at this point.
    Melia was himself again. Great to see. He was decisive and strong. Didn't have a stone cold thriller of a save, but his thinking/positioning was perfect so he didn't need one (unless one came after 89:07 when the feed froze then died).
    If we were handing out German ratings, no ones, but no one below a 3. SKC were in total control all night long. Maybe DC are just bad, but they have enough pieces that they shouldn't be.
    Final thought, crikey, we get Zlatan's first full game? Opara v zLAtan? Chills.