Kansas City vs. Colorado (Sat. May 5th, 7:30PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 30, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Mostly just wondering how much of Felipe we'll see.

mschofield repped this.
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard said something interesting on the ESPN broadcast yesterday (since he was suspended for their game yesterday). He said how they aren't really a team that's going to go over the top unless they're pressed high in which case then they like having Badji's speed for the ball over the top. We don't press as high or as consistently as we used to, but it's something to keep an eye on, especially with how we get forward more.

mschofield repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly what is his injury? I'm hoping that (as expressed on here) last week was about letting him avoid an awful turf (which IMO was a good call). But hip inuries make me nervous.

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "Inflammation and swelling" is about the most descriptive I've seen. I'd guess groin or hip based on practically nothing.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yeah... Felipe out 2-3 months because of sports hernia surgery....

6. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mschofield repped this.
  7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesus. well that's terrible news. i guess it's croizet all the time now, which ... isn't ideal.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not. It also ramps up the pressure on someone to score on a regular basis from the 9 spot.
    We lose quite a bit without Felipe for an extended run.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see Medranda at center mid and Seth at left back. Jimmy is consistently more dangerous and better with the ball at his feet than Croizet has been.

kcscsupporter repped this.
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy's been most dangerous though when he's been coming from the LB position, when he's played center mid, while he's quicker at playing the ball than Croizet, he hasn't really been that much more dangerous.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason it seems that way is because LB is where he's gotten the majority of his minutes so far. Haven't seen him start at CM yet this year. Still like what he brings to the table more than what we've seen from Croizet, who has not been good except when we had a two-man advantage over Vancouver.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    People keep saying that about Croizet. I don't think that's fair. He was really good the whole game against Vancouver. It's pretty clear his struggle is with the pace of the league, which is why Vancouver made him look great and the revs made him look useless. New signings frequently find themselves facing similar struggles. I still think he deserves patience.

I mean it's not like we weren't patient with Jimmy while he was pretty bad for like four years.

mschofield repped this.
  13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i want medranda in midfield over croizet as well. i think his strengths are consistent at either position, but his weaknesses (ie positioning and always diving in) are far less of a liability in the middle of the field versus the backline. my only issue with this is that would be a midfield of roger and medranda, who're both more more comfortable shading the left side of the field.

hell, i guess when it comes down to it, i'd be willing to consider any option that keeps medranda off the backline, so my opinion here on him replacing croizet probably holds less water.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    medranda wasn't playing every game, and he certainly wasn't supposed to be the offensive facilitator pushing forward that we're expecting out of croizet. oh, and he also wasn't a dp. just a minor quibble there.

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A DP due to transfer fee
    A starter due to injury
    He's doing fine
    Give him some time
    Limericks are hard

Sachsen, vividox and mschofield repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think the fact that Croizet is a DP should have anything to do with whether he's worth playing, or not. Just because he's a DP isn't a good enough reason to play him. At the same time, the fact that he's underperforming for a DP level player isn't a reason to bench him.
    I think he's been surprised at the pace of MLS, and it's physicality.
    Going into a match against a Rapids team that lives off the counter, I'm legitimately baffled as to what to do with that role. It's a match he might be quite good in.
    Croizet at his best has moved the ball with some decent one touch stuff, and he's been good for a couple dribbles a game. I always quote the numbers. While the numbers do lie somewhat, they don't lie completely. Croizet has consistently played at an average MLS performer level, with one breakout spectacular game, and another quite decent one. Jimmy is much better on the eye test, but there is a reason his numbers have been higgeldy piggedly. and yet he's been playing ahead of Seth.
    I think Croizet does have a skillset that can benefit us. but really that set seems more suited to our number 9 role, IMO.
    OTOH, as noted earlier, he's less than ideal.
    I think, in our current situation, we have to play him into the role. Jimmy is more dangerous when drifting into the play, and i don't think Seth creates the same threat from the back. But it is an issue having both a 9 and 10 who don't really seem to be goal threats.

Sachsen repped this.
  17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my comment was in regards to what inca said about the criticism croizet has received so far not being fair to him in comparison to the criticism, or lack thereof, medranda received while we brought him along. i'm not suggesting we make sit/start decisions based on how much either of them is making. i think we're all smarter than that.

mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Crap. We might have rushed him back for that half.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was trying to make a point that maybe we judge him a bit harshly because of what we paid for him, but just rewatched his play that led to the "goal" against NE and crikey he needs to be slapped. Loses the ball at midfield, which happens, with a failed attempt at a soft backpass to Medranda, who slides in late (also a mistake, but happens). But the fact that Croizet is not even in the replay frame when the ball comes back out and Espinoza is put in a position where he has to try that play from behind grrrrr. That was Croizet's role. Maybe not on the chalkboard, but he lost that ball and when Jimmy went down had to know the numbers were against us, and he barely jogged back. If he'd hustled at least.
    One interesting side nmote to Croizet is that watching him in Belgium, he looked fast. MLS really does play at an impressive pace.

Sachsen repped this.
  20. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Croizet is a complete bust like Marin or Jefferson, but the guy is clearly playing at a level that is worthy of a back-up option rather than a starter. I’ll agree that he needs more time as mentioned previously in this thread, but It shouldn’t be at the expense of the first team if there is another option available. Unfortunately with Felipe out, PV is either forced to grind it out with Croizet or start making changes to the remainder of the team to plug that hole. I think PV will go with him for a couple of more games, but I don’t see him on the field by the end of May if he keeps playing like he did against NE.

21. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Overall a solid game by most, but we have to give Rubio a run out now. Mentally Shelton needs to sit for a game or two.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree completely. I want Shelton on the field way more than Rubio.

23. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don’t disagree that Shelton is the better player for the future, but at some point you need to sit him for the hope that it changes his lack of finishing. Don’t keep running him out there as the more he goes scoreless the more likely it will become too big an albatross.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is he does so many other things with his passing, hold up play, defense, that Rubio doesn’t do at all or near to the level that Shelton does that would affect not just the offense but the entire team

25. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Shelton played a fairly good game last night. The diving header that hit the post was a very difficult shot that not many other players could have gotten their head on. He also dragged a couple of shots wide but he is starting to get more bold about taking them. The offensive header to Salloi was a beauty, but a shame Daniel hit the crossbar with the shot. I don’t think Diego gets any of that done.
    I was disappointed to see Medranda pushed out of the middle for Croizet. I thought the attack lost some momentum at that point. And again, Croizet gives away a bad pass to Colorado. Only a lucky break saved SKC as Badji split Ike and Besler and pushed his shot wide.
    I was impressed by Lobato and thought he did a great job defending and moving the ball through the Colorado press. Probably his best game since coming to SKC.
    Overall it was a dominant game by SKC that deserved more goals, but they will need more offense going into the Wednesday game with Atlanta.