Kansas City vs Atlanta (Sun May 5th, 8:00PM CT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was so bad last night, that after the game, I watched the ball boys ignoring the SKC players and lining up to get a selfie taken with Joseph Martinez.

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought both CBs actually did pretty well. I mean, we were under siege, had virtually no midfield to speak of, our fullbacks were constantly, constantly stranded 2v1 as the midfielders and wingers all kinda just watched shit happen...

I mean, did anyone notice that basically every time but one, Johnny never had fewer than two players to try to get past for a cross or a shot? I don't remember it as clearly for Salloi, as he disappeared 20 minutes in, but Russell was always getting double teamed. I'm just baffled how a team with, what, three attacking players who loathe getting back and defending still looks better, more organized, and more effective on defense than a team built around chemistry, support, and hustle? It's just nonsense. And I don't see a fix. I see this as a problem that plagues us when we are good and shreds us when we are not.

I have a feeling this upcoming offseason is going to be brutal. Or a hope. Is it a hope or a feeling? Not sure yet--we'll see how we do over the next few months.

3. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game yesterday was a real downer. The team looks mentally broken. Same for the crowd. I've had more fun at a funeral.

One of the reasons this season is going downhill fast is that SKC got next to no boost from the 2018/19 off-season. The bad luck with MLS free agents continued with Wallace's injury. Same for Hurtado. Rowe is a serviceable midfield backup but nothing more. All the hype around Rowe coming in and pushing Espinoza for a starting spot now seems laughable. Borath was a good addition, but we lost Opara and that is basically a wash.

No idea where things go from here, but its hard to see this turning around given the crazy number of injuries and PVs inability to look in the mirror and admit that the reason we leak 3 to 5 goals a game is his tactics don't match his players.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didn't break down or mention Barath's numbers (585), they were the best on the side by a mile. I just didn't think we learned anything new from the performance from him, as he's been pretty excellent all year, IMO. FTRE, he had four clearances, 2 ints, and won an aerial battle to go with putting a header on goal. He was also 43-1 on his passing, though 7-7 on long passes (which is hella good).