News: kansas-city-comets-ownership-changes-hands

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Mar 16, 2017.

1. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SteveCo repped this.
  2. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Anyone know how much Brad and Greg Likens paid to get the partial ownership? Also, did they own 50% of the Comets or 66.6%?

SteveCo repped this.
  3. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this development has everything to do with the ongoing lawsuit. We don't know if this change 'settled' the lawsuit either, though the Likens brothers leaving the ownership group might be part of a settlement. Speculation at this point.

Now we again have to ask the valid question about whether the Comets are returning next season. As Ken points out in another thread, many owners 'strongly state' that they are coming back but it doesn't always happen, especially for indoor soccer. Especially when there is change or instability in ownership. I hope Budzinski has the funds to keep the team running. The 'free agent period' for the MASL is May 1 -15 for teams to talk to players whose contracts expire on or before May 1. The Comets participation (or lack thereof) in free agent activity will be interesting to see. Any of their current players with expiring contracts might be motivated to sign elsewhere if they feel the Comets are too unstable. That said, I hope the Comets return next season and thereafter. Just remember that indoor soccer teams are like the weather in St. Louis: if you check again in 15 minutes, it has probably changed a lot.

4. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I find odd , This came out on the Anniversary of the Pat Healy head butt incident. Also earlier in the year the Likens sold the KC FC team. I am wondering why all of the sudden they are doing this ? The lawsute and the clams in the emails must have some validity to them. The MASL press releases have all came out of Kansas City I wonder what impact that will have on the MASL. The one thing I know is we can not afford to lose a team like the Missouri comets.

SteveCo repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT's what you find odd?

It was also the anniversary of Brutus v. Caesar. Coincidence, or did you come not to bury him, not to praise him?

Scooge repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, you're saying the league will fold without Kansas City? As opposed to all the other franchises we've lost over the years, but without which the game keeps surviving?

SteveCo repped this.
  7. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    League press releases come out of Kansas City because that's where I write them from. It is done completely separately from anything directly related to the Comets.

One has nothing to do with the other

ff2doc628 repped this.
  8. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    wait.............am I reading this correctly? You write MASL's press releases'?

SteveCo and CometsFan repped this.
  9. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I took over as the League PR person just before the start of the season
    upload_2017-3-16_14-52-1.png

ff2doc628 and SteveCo repped this.
  10. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So its YOU'RE fault?

11. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    It has been part of my master plan for years

**insert evil laugh**

12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I don't think you want that ownership group.

Any chance the people who bought FCKC would also want an indoor team?

SteveCo repped this.
  13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't the one drawing a connection, Jeff. :)

I only meant that while, obviously, I would hate to lose any franchise, and the Comets have been far more successful than most, the sport has never really had a franchise it could not live without.

And, unfortunately, we have seen that in action far too many times. By my count, we have lost 87 percent of all franchises all-time. And I reckon one or two more will bite the dust between now and next November.

14. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Kenn - my bad...I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the previous post.

15. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I did not know that. Congratulations. So then I go to the MASL site and look you up and sure enough. Then I see Balthrop's name as the League Statistician. I didn't know that either.

I would have put the number at closer to 96 percent. Seriously. MISL, NASL, EISL, WISL, NPSL, MISL version 2.0, XSL, NSL, I-league, PASL, MASL....................that's off of the top of my head.

Sometimes owning an indoor soccer team is akin to fighting a Bengal Tiger with your bare hands. Everyone knows what's going to happen, you quickly become terrified and you are almost immediately looking for an escape plan.

SteveCo repped this.
  16. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot AISA, CISL, and USISL

17. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Also the NISL

18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    ...........I also forgot the AISL. The original home of the Massachusetts Twisters before they joined NISL, then folded.

SteveCo repped this.