Kansas City at Philadelphia (Sun. Sept 23th, 12:00PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Sep 16, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Seems sketchy starting a thread that way. If we lose, I blame myself.

mschofield repped this.
  3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I like seeing what I can get away with. :cool:

4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed thread title - game is Sunday, not Saturday ;)

vividox repped this.
  5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brutal stretch, the only thing that worries me is that loss this weekend. They’re 1 point up on Montreal in 5th in the East, 5 cleat of DC in 7th, level on games played. I would think they’d go all out vs Seattle to try to get something, rest guys vs us. But if they also lose in Seattle things could get dicy in terms of playoff position and they could be desperate for 3 points.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Given what they are this year, quite good but never gonna beat Atlanta to MLS Cup, I would think they'd be all in on their best chance. I don't think we see Bethlehem Steel, but I don't see us getting their first 11, either.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So it would seem to me that we've got two general rules of picking a starting 11 that are now in conflict:
    Rule one: Never punish players for getting called away on nats duty. Salloi, Russell and Rubio were clearly a pretty hot hand through August and earned themselves a perk. Getting called up, esp for players who haven't been regulars with their nats, is a huge honor. They now fully back and ready. Do they start?
    Rule two: would say no, becuase it's kind of the overrule, never change a hot hand. Croizet, Gerso and Nemeth not only won but looked quite good doing it. Two games, two wins, one fantastic road win and another solid effort.
    So, does Rubio come back into the 11 for Nemeth? Rubio is the hottest striker in MLS. He deserves to return to his starting role. Nemeth did a very nice job and broke his duck, which IMO means the pressure is lower, the confidence is higher and he could be on the verge of the Nemeth we used to know. And these results show he deserves another start.
    Gerso v Salloi? Gerso is the current MLS player of the week. I kind of think this is his job to lose now, and Salloi had been tiring lately in any case. Still, it is a tough call.
    Salloi owned that spot all year because he was better, and he has earned it.
    Croizet has done everything you could ask of him these past two weeks. It's tough to say that by the conventional wisdom of football he hasn't earned another start. But Russell is better, esp in that role.
    In essence, we have six hot hands for three seats. My guess is that Russell does return to the lineup, Gerso holds onto his spot and in the center, NFC.

Sachsen repped this.
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between starts and subs, at least five of those guys will likely see the field every game. Rotation results in no discernable dropoff in quality at any of the three positions across the top. I mean, last game against San Jose, we subbed off Nemeth and Croizet for Rubio and Russell, who promptly played a hand in the last goal, Rubio getting yet another assist or goal. Having those kind of options on the bench (as opposed to Jacob Peterson and Connor Hallisey) is just amazing.

SKC currently has an embarrassment of riches at the forward positions which still blows my mind.

mschofield and kcfooty repped this.
  9. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paradoxically, I simultaneously want to believe it (is reality) while not wanting to believe it (is hype). Pinch me so I know it's real. Don't pinch me, I don't want to wake up.

Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely amazing. And it looks to be both the kind of depth that can sustain a regular season championship run and the kind of quality that could charge a playoff run.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If our midfield can stay healthy and fit, I think we're great. Also I expect we'll lose at least one of those six this offseason. Salloi being the most likely.

mschofield repped this.
  12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Europe? I don’t think so, not yet anyway. I don’t think he’s done enough to really attract a transfer fee, he signed through 2019 with club options the next 2 years.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There will be inquiries. I'd think. I think he needs at least one more season in MLS to be ready. Right now he went from good to great for half a season He needs to reach great for a full season, Transfermarkt is not a perfect site, but with nothing else to go by they're guessing his value right now is $950k, which is a nice bump in his value but If that's accurate it's not enough that SKC wouldn't be able to turn it down. That said, he's worth quite a bit more than we're paying him right now.

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerso - Nemeth - Russell across the top. Everyone else are the usual first choice starters. Salloi and Croizet available off the bench, along with the young 'uns.

15. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss something with Rubio? Just surprised he's not in the 18.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The MLS site folks were saying he returned injured from nats duty, which is odd as he played last week.

17. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is absolutely dumbfounding how bad Gerso is with his right foot.

18. bkd717

bkd717 New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Lawrence
    Umm...have we ever played a game in the rain? Or on a crummy pitch?

Because it sure appears that we haven't.

mschofield repped this.
  19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time we think this team is pretty good, they lay an egg like today. Not a good look for a team that is purported to be an MLS Cup contender.

Hats off to Philly, they came to play. We didn't.

kcscsupporter, mschofield and bkd717 repped this.
  20. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Talk about two different opinions of the game. According to Galarcep, PV is trying to put lipstick on that pig.

21. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It’s still a pig.

bkd717 repped this.
  22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a terrible performance against a reserve team.

bkd717 repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Audi would agree. Our team score of 3007 would put us pretty much dead on an average MLS team performance, so it's fair for PV to insist it wasn't one of the worst performances of the year.
    But, Audi, inexplicably IMO, lists our top three performers as Zusi (makes sense), Nemeth (huh) and Ike (Holy FS). The only reasoning I can see in Nemeth's 456 (quite a good MLS performance) is that while they do give credit for Shots and SOG, they do not detract for weakass shots or SOG. Saying that Nemeth was on the line between very good and excellent in MLS assumes he was dangerous, but I am afraid the numbers flatter in his case.
    Not as much, however, as they flatter Ike, who came in at 455. They do deduct points for his two "aerial battles lost" but they count the same as any lost aerial battle, and they don't really have a way to quantify the damage that diving at balls and completely missing meant. Was that Ike's worst game for SKC? Was he playing on a heavy dose of cold meds?
    Zusi, aside from putting the ball out on a corner was Zusi, 72 completed, 15 misses. Three key passes, which is kind of a huge number. was about right for his overall 556 Audi score.
    Gerso came in at an MLS average performance rate of 232. Are they f=ing kidding us? He gets positive points for his shots off goal. There is no negative in the numbers reflecting, say, a miss on a completely open goal from three yards. In the attacking end, he completed 16 passes, missed on six. Not a great outing.
    But SKC's games are usually told in the numbers of Ilie and Roger. Sadly, this was indeed true. Remember that a 230 pt performance indicates an average outing. Ilie came in a whopping 42. Roger? -48.
    Both lost 7 aerial battles. Roger had a decent 80 completed passes, and a not bad only 13 misses. But on long balls, he tried 15 and connected on 4. This was a theme of the game, btw. Ike had 16 missed long balls. Zusi 11. Besler 12. Seth 7. Ilie 11. That's 52 misses on long passes. As a team, we missed on 63 long passes (only 2 by Melia, btw. WTF are we doing pumping out 63 long passes? We gave away possession 63 times on long balls. That's lot of giveaways.
    Anyway, that game sucked.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And now we know.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator