Kansas City at New England (Sat. April 28th, 6:30PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 23, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, at least the turf won't have handegg lines on it this time of year.

mschofield repped this.
  2. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    mschofield repped this.
  3. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It irritates me that the supporters Shield standings are done by points, and not points per game. Especially at this point in the season, when there's a huge gap between some teams and the amount of games they played.

But anyway, yay first place!

kcscsupporter and vividox repped this.
  4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm going to throw a little cold water on us here.

Current SS standings by PPG:
    SKC - 2
    NER - 7
    LAG - 9
    COL - 13
    VAN - 14
    CHI - 15
    DCU - 20
    SJE - 21
    SEA - 22

We are on a 7 game undefeated streak, but the only one of those 7 teams in the top half of the league are the Galaxy. We've been beating the poorer teams, which we absolutely should do. But NER on the road will likely be a tougher test than what we've faced maybe since the NYC game.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One thing I find a bit unlucky in our schedule is that we weren't one of the lucky ones to find TFC on our early season schedule, when they've been putting out teams that would struggle in pub leagues and instead get them when they will be back into proving they might be the best side in MLS history.
    I do think we hit Seattle at the point they remembered, oh, right, we don't really suck.
    Still, while I am a big believer in the throwing of cold water (I get 40 tourist groups a day under my window) I think it's only fair to wait until there's a reason (for instance they break out a stupid megaphone or start some idiotic cheer, or, in our case, we underperform).
    I'm not sure we would win against NYCFC if we played again, but we'd be much more prepared to give them a run for it. Our schedule is getting tougher, but we are also getting better.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England isn’t gonna be easy, they’ve looked pretty good under Friedel. Padilla and Bunbury are looking good up top

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How do we start in this one? Is Felipe back to 90 minute health?

8. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Felipe is healthy, I don’t see how they wouldn’t start him. I could see them sitting Roger to give him some rest and letting Yohan continue to play. With the depth on the bench I think PV could start rotating the starters when going against an East opponent.

mschofield repped this.
  9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahahahahahahaha

[wipes eyes]

Hahahahahahahahaha

10. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh, yea.......what the heck was I thinking

mschofield and Sachsen repped this.
  11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was just wondering aboutr Felipe because he's listed as questionable, which, oddly, means it's a question whether or not he will go. I don't know if that means his few minutes were bit much and set him back, or if they're just having fun with the injury list. Also don't know if there's any more detailed report on him that I haven't seen.

12. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe he is questionable because of the turf. No sure if I would risk playing him 90 minutes on that field.

mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think there might be consensus that it is now the worst in MLS with Minnesota. It doesn't seem to measure up to Seattle or Atlanta, at least in the way it looks.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still questionable. Gerso is out.

15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that Bukaty and Milwall would shut up about artificial turf. Much more opinion than fact.

Sachsen repped this.
  16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bukaty is one of the worst pbp guys I have ever had the misfortune to listen to in my life. I cannot believe we got rid of Cal Williams for him. If you want to make him a side story guy during the week, like the drivetime videos, fine. But he is horrendous on pbp. A pbp guy should be talking about the PLAY, not giving us 15 minutes of beating a dead horse about turf.

17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime thoughts:

• Everyone seems pretty flat, which is strange considering they had an extra day of rest since Friday's game.
    • New England is definitely a better team than they were under Heaps. Their high pressure is causing us all kinds of problems. They seem to be everywhere and not allowing us the possession and passing we are accustomed to.
    • Croizet needs to make quicker decisions. I counted 3-4 times when he took too long to decide, or dribbled into too much traffic, and lost the ball easily.
    • The ref is letting way too many fouls go on both sides IMO. Blow the whistle more and the play will start to flow better. Right now the players think they can get away with all kinds of rough stuff.
    • I think the refs made the correct call on the goal. Unless the ref whistled the play dead for offside, we have no leg to stand on. Play to the whistle, I can't believe any of them have to be told that. Bunbury did the right thing, even if he thinks he was offside, put the ball in the net and let the refs figure it out. So if Roger did kick the ball that went to Teal, then it's a valid goal.
    • Now we just have to see if the guys can shrug it off and forget about it and play better 2nd half. I definitely think we can pull at least a draw out of this one but they've got to pick up the energy level a bit and not assume that NE is going to let us have our way with the ball like we've gotten used to.

18. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that they are calling the game from the studio in KC. If so, that's pathetic.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that, too. There was a moment in the first half when some SKC player took a shot or something and Bukaty couldn't see who it was and said it was "a Sporting player". That's when I realized they probably weren't there in the stadium.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they're in KC calling the game.

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts with about 12 minutes left.
    • Ilie is having a poor game. He seems super tired or something. None of his normal movement and ball control.
    • I don't know if it's the turf or what, but we are having such a hard time possessing and controlling the ball. And our shots - such as they are - have been atrociously weak.
    • Just altogether we are playing like we are at altitude or something. Just sluggish and slow and poor touches all around. If we do get a goal it will be an absolute steal of a point.

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite sure why we've decided to take ALL our corners short. I mean, we've got Opara and Shelton in the box, why not put a few of them in there and see if they can get their heads on it?

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was 100% a penalty. Rubio absolutely got tripped.

24. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess we weren't going to go undefeated the rest of the year, but that was pretty lame and weak. The whole team was poor, which just leads me to think that we weren't prepared to deal with New England's pressure and energy. In other words, the Revs SKC'd us.

mschofield repped this.
  25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll disagree on that, it wasn't a penalty. Now is it called on other days? Maybe. Was Rubio looking for the contact? Yes. Did he go down easy? Yes. Does Rubio have a reputation for going down too easy and did that play a role in the decision? Probably.