Kansas City at Minnesota (Sat. Oct 7th, 7:00PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 3, 2017.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First of a two game road trip. We are without national team call ups Zusi, Besler, Feilhaber, Saad, Oliveira, and Musa. We need to find points somewhere if we're going to avoid the dreaded wildcard road game. This is the easiest place to do it outside the home game to Houston.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota play tonight in Atlanta. Should be without Molino, Calvo, and Boxall for our game

vividox repped this.
  3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best we can hope for is a draw. Gord and I are making the trip to MN. Apologies in advance.

IASocFan repped this.
  4. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Making my second trip to Minnesota this year. Hope the team play's much better. More optimistic with a back line of Ike, EPB, SAS and Seth, and Soony not on the front line, as compared to the line-up we started on May 7.

5. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    hope ike is gonna be available though..

mschofield repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ike has an interview on the site from today (10/3) and is talking about what he expects from the game this weekend. I assumed he would be hurting, but he didn't bring it up and wasn't asked about it, and talked very much as if he plans to play.

IASocFan, vividox and Spassapparat repped this.
  7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really sucks. I’m traveling the entire month and will miss all four of the final league games because they are only available on mls live.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was looking at the site the other day and they were offering a rest of the season package for something like $10. It isn't ideal, but you can watch on a laptop or your phone.

BenDover repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, with our many absenses, we still put out a strong lineup. We still have the same issue up top, three of Gerso, Blessing, Rubio and Salloi.
    Medranda can deputize for Benny. EPB is quite good, and SAS is a very serviceable right back, if not anywhere close to Zusi right now.

10. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh wow...Callum Williams is the Minnesota announcer (doing the MLS live broadcast tonight as well since they generally use the home team's crew).

11. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably should have won that one. Hope Melia is okay (they called it a cramp after the game, which I think is a good sign).

A draw puts us in 2nd place with a game in hand. Not the best slate of games to work with, though.

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another failure in the final 10 minutes. feels like a hallmark of the vermes era. two more points thrown away.

incredible save on that espinoza header in the stoppage time, though.

13. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leaving points on the table, it's what we do.

Looking at the table, we appear to have effectively locked up a playoff spot. RSL and SJE are not making up those goal differentials.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First tie breaker is wins, not goal difference. If we lose out and San Jose and RSL win out, they'd both have 14 wins to our 12 and would win that tiebreaker.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On the goal, a lot happened and I don't put it on Opara, but something we've seen from him lately looked to be in pretty clear focus on that play, he's lost his hops. He hasn't been getting up like he used to. What he used to do was almost unbelievable, but is he shying away from skywalking since the concussion? Is he maybe protecting himself a bit? His leap looked, well, better than mine, but very average.
    On Melia, was whatever the injury was turf related? There were a lot of folks getting stuck in that crap last night.
    And we had way too many balls roll all the way across the goal mouth to end up with only one.
    the way we controlled extra time left me a bit miffed, as we were apparently following a game plan to protect a lead until they scored. because we wanted the ball they couldn't handle us

16. YilmazOrhan

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. That's a change from last year. Has MLS ever had the same tiebreakers for two years running?

17. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, MLS has had total wins as the first tiebreaker since 2013. Before that, it was goals scored.

18. YilmazOrhan

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, I'm an inattentive idiot. Nevermind.

Sachsen repped this.
  19. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    man I hope Melia doesn't have anything serious, Zendejas did not look MLS ready at all. Did he have one pass that went to an SKC player?

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't Zendejas who replaced him, that was Dykstra, he's been in the league off and on since 2009.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But I would suggest it's been a stupid rule since then. Either points count, or they don't. GD to me is a better indicator of overall quality. Of course, I'm mostly saying this because that puts us out ahead of the mob.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So using the info Buzz provided: No. No he did not.:)

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep. I wrote a scathing email to Extra Time Radio when the league changed the rule and had a short back and forth with the Borg about it. Makes no sense whatsoever. Points, goal differential, goals for. It's not difficult. The very first thing teams should have incentive for doing (besides just getting results) is scoring more goals because that makes your overall product more entertaining. This just reeks of a decision where MLS could be different just for the sake of being different. It annoys the hell out of me and I'm in a constant state of wanting it changed to the way it should be.

mschofield repped this.
  24. hartley

hartley Member

I put it on EPB. He stopped dead and ball watched. You could see Ike looking at him afterward as if to say, "where were you?"

Also, Tim's "injury" or cramp happened on the play before when he came off his line to try to punch the ball. He was limping as he went for his water bottle before the next play.

25. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    ups, no idea why I had zendejas in mind. in any case,my hope that melia will be able to play stands ;)