Kansas City at FC Dallas (Sun. Oct 21st, 4PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Sachsen, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge, huge game.

Reasons we should lose:
    • SKC hasn't won in Dallas since 2011
    • Dallas have a 10-1-5 home record this year
    • Dallas has sold out, good home support
    • Gerso and Rubio have both gone somewhat cold
    • I'm starting the game thread
    Reasons we should win:
    • Johnny F'n Russell
    Reality:
    • I wouldn't be surprised with a cagey 1-1 draw

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another reason we could win:
    Dallas has only scored 4 goals in their last 5 games, and 3 of those games they got shut out. If our defense can lock down their offense, a win is definitely possible.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first thought when I saw this thread.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to watch the counter, that’s how Dallas beat us at home. We seem to do better handling the counter on the road.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well dadgummit, the game is in two days and vividox was sleeping on the job.

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i believe in you, sachsen. no worries.

Sachsen repped this.
  7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, sorry. I've been busy with life and just now got back on BS. Feel free to blame me when we don't have a first round bye.

Sachsen repped this.
  8. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    3 points and a shutout, first win at dallas since 2011, Melia saves a pk! Who called that?

Sachsen repped this.
  9. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    One of the greatest regular season road wins in history, with so much on the line. Things will be insane at CMP against LAFC.

Sachsen repped this.
  10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. giftedmadness

giftedmadness Member

Jun 16, 2003
    KC
    Whats our record when gerso starts? I dont understand vermes love for shelton, rubio and gerso have produced way more.

12. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your question and the following comment don't make any sense. Gerso isn't competing with Shelton or Rubio for playing time since Gerso plays on the wing.

If all you're focused on is individual stats, you are missing what Shelton brings to the way this team plays. SKC today just set a new team record for most goals scored in a season. This is the BEST offensive team SKC has EVER had.

Salloi and Russell have 10 goals each this year, and Gerso has 5. That's 25 goals from wingers (possibly more if you include Lobato and Medranda, I'm not going back to look and see where they were playing when they scored.) That is an INSANE amount of production from wing play compared to previous years, when everything ran through Dwyer Island. The reason is the goalscoring burden is off the lone striker in the 4-3-3 and has been distributed around to the surrounding perimeter players. It's a much more effective way to play, as evidenced by the offensive production this year.

Shelton holds the ball. He fights. He uses his body to draw defenders to him. He eats up space. He frees his teammates to do what they've been doing all year. He also has some nice passing ability, such as the over-the-top ball to Gutierrez in the buildup to our first goal today.

Rubio is a great spark plug off the bench. Shelton fits what this team needs better. It's no coincidence in my mind that when Shelton went down earlier this year with the knee injury, SKC's offense went through a lengthy dry spell.

mschofield and vividox repped this.
  13. giftedmadness

giftedmadness Member

Jun 16, 2003
    KC
    Actually it didnt go thru a dry spell with shelton on the bench.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the play by Shelton over the last game plus doesn't explain what Vermes sees in Shelton in terms of the players around him producing, then I don't know what will.

As for the record when Gerso starts, 9-5-3 (W-L-D). Rubio is 4-3-2.

15. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done boys. What a titanic midfield battle that was won by SKC and overall just a solid match from everyone. Seth figured out Barrios and kept him in check most of the game, Shelton was was a pain for their defense, Johnny kept them guessing, Felipe played his best game since coming back from the injury, and Melia keeps on being a rock in the net. Its good to have all the parts back in place coming into the last game of the season.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Audi numbers this week are kind of fascinating, because by the numbers, we were only okay. In real life, we were fantastic.
    Our overall score, 3122 just barely edged Dallas at 2944. These are the kind of numbers that suggest the game was a lot closer than the 0-3 scoreline, but was it? I'd say that if Melia wasn't a god, and he was out Audi MOTM at 920 (~30 percent of our team total?) Dallas would have scored twice. I'd say that we also had another couple that could have gone in. With worse goaltending, the final might have been 5-2 but there was no way Dallas was winning. Melia's numbers are fun. His negatives: 15 long kicks that didn't find sporting colors (btw, Dallas has my vote for ugliest uniforms in MLS. It looks like what Mattel would come up with for Soccer Ken).
    The most interesting bit from the numbers: Shelton. Shelton was damn close to being our MOTM. He was a beast, created complete chaos and for stretches one of the only SKC players capable of holding the ball against a team of mosquitoes (I envy their team speed). His Audi score: -34. Audi says he was the second worst player on the field for us, Ilie nabbing bottom spot. His passing numbers were 20-7, so mediocre but implying he wasn't involved in the game. He was dinged for his four fouls commited and three take ons lost, his five lost aerial battles, his lost challenge. His five aerial battles won, 2 challenges won and key pass didn't make up for the negatives. They didn't give him a second assist on the brilliant looper to Felipe, though that was probably his key pass. What I find fascinating is that if you look at his accomplishments list he was involved primarily between the midline and top of the box on the left side of the field, meaning he's stepping into Salloi's territory, who scores a goal and earns a pk and has a very solid game overall. I was certain all the little things Shelton was doing would be rewarded by Audi, but most of the good he does he does without the ball, so, by the numbers, he sucked. Salloi had a very good Audi night, 374, and it would have been much better but he was dinged -210 for having a shot from inside the 6 blocked. He only had 20 succesful passes on the night, and 4 misses.
    Ilie had our worst night, and usually how he goes is how we go on Audi. Ilie kind of deserved a low number, maybe not -284 low, but still. If he had scored on the PK, btw, he'd have been around an average MLS player for the game (that was -293 plus the goal would have given him a plus 300 or so). If also he hadn't caused the PK Melia saved, he'd have been into the MLS elite, as that was an additional -198. So we know AUdi puts a lot into that kind of stuff.
    But of all our players, I thought Ilie struggled with their speed the most. He completed 39 passes (last game it was 50 higher) and missed on 18, a horrible passing night for him. He missed on 13 long balls, a lot to hit, and connected on 5. the little things positives and negatives lists are long. This was the most I've seem him struggle.
    We finished the match with six players at or above the MLS average Audi score. Obviously, six is exactly average across the league. Dallas had 7.
    When did we last lose a possession battle, and by as much as 58-42? when's the last time we were noticeably lower passing percentage team, as low as 66 percent, to their 77 percent?
    It's a big positive in that sense, we found a very different way to win.

KopRules, kcfooty, dgb09 and 3 others repped this.
  17. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I remember watching the game early on and seeing our guys booting it forward and not spending the time to rotate the ball back like we usually do. At first, I felt it was jitters or at least the tension of us feeling their attack come after our backline, but after a while, I saw it as a complete tactical decision to bypass their midfield, stats and turnovers be damned. Yes there were plenty of bad passes on the transition but it seemed like Vermes instructed everyone to not go the SKC route with the ball circulation from the back and just transition forward and to the wings with abandon. It was very un-SKC like but ended up being very effective.

mschofield repped this.
  18. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent end to an effective and impressive road trip. Short handed vs Vancouver, then dominant against the Burn in their self proclaimed "most important" regular season game ever.

To me, the post season forward lineup has to be Salloi - Shelton - Russell. Its by far the most effective (and complimentary) group we have. Gerso and Rubio are better coming off the bench since they are very different players that the starter they replace. Shelton's return and Rubio's success off the bench makes Nemo a borderline 18 player now.

Going into the playoffs, the bench strength is what sets SKC 2018 apart from all other previous versions. PV will have to pick six from this seven for the bench: Gerso, Rubio, Nemo, Croizet, Busio, Fontas, and Lindsey. That is a starting quality group on many teams.

KopRules, Sachsen and mschofield repped this.