Kansas City at Columbus (Sun. Sep 10th, 12:00 PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Sep 7, 2017.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Back in action after a three week rest.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 day you mean? :)

3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No. Three weeks. As in, I don't think anything we witnessed last night constituted a break of "rest" and it could hardly be considered "in action".

It was a joke.

Okay, it was a bad joke.

Kind of like our performance last night.

Sachsen and Formulaic repped this.
  4. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, not that bad. I got the joke and laughed.

5. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all, I come from Ohio in peace

Was curious what players you think you will play Sunday....considering you just played a midweek game and also international call-ups.

My best guess for us is....

--------------------------Steffen-----------------------
    Jimenez---Williams--Abubakar---Raitala
    -----------------Trapp---------Abu-------------------
    Santos--------------Higuain------------Manneh
    -------------------------Kamara-------------------------

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably are best 11 or close to it, considering we hadn't played in 19ish days before Wednesday.

Salloi - Rubio - Gerso
    Feilhaber - Espinoza
    Ilie
    Sinovic - Besler - Opara - Zusi
    Melia​

The two wings are probably the questions, whether Gerso comes back into the 11, or if Blessing pushes wide from Wednesday, or Lobato getting another start.

IASocFan and Tobias C repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Columbus, Meram (Iraq) & Mensah (Ghana) both started 2 games over the break. With Meram scoring one. Afful alsp played twice for Ghana, only 1 start.

Will be interesting to see if any play for the Crew. Ditto Besler & especially Zusi for you guys. If Waylon Francis is healthy at LB, he will start. Good luck in the Cup Final.

Sachsen and Tobias C repped this.
  8. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of inaccurate passes. Lack of ideas in the final third. Two valuable points not realized.

Benny had an off day. Shades of Francisco Gomez with his shooting inaccuracy.

mschofield repped this.
  9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lobato may have gotten our goal (one which i'd expect any of players to finish, so it's no real accomplishment), but he was otherwise completely invisible out there. i don't think i saw him once in the second half.

why is gerso not playing but the last few minutes? is there an injury not being reported? is he in the infamous vermes doghouse or something? we were starving for ideas in the final third. surely he could've given us something.

lastly, rubio ... man, i swear it looks like he's in slow-motion when he shoots the ball. i've never seen anyone take so long to get a shot off.

on the lighter side, i thought the pitch looked fantastic there in columbus. the crowd was somewhat sparse, but the pitch was nigh on immaculate.

mschofield repped this.
  10. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    I agree with both comments - this was Feilhaber's worst game I've seen in an SKC jersey. And Lobato looks incredibly uncomfortable as a winger - has he played that position in Spain?

Def happy with the point given how the game went. Got lucky a couple of times on ref decisions (though I don't think that the penalty was a penalty - and given that they reviewed it and didnt change their opinion, this is hopefully not an opinion with SKC shades on.) Funniest moment of the match was when a Columbus player made a pass, it got deflected of the ref to a Columbus player that was offsides and they had to call the offsides :p

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerso hasn't exactly been playing well either in the games he's been on the field for more than a handful of minutes. And then there's watching Harrison go right past him on the goal on Wednesday that may have pissed Vermes off in a film session.

mschofield repped this.
  12. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'd like to see Salloi at the center forward spot since he has a faster turn and shoot move with the speedsters Gerso and Blessing out on the outside creating more space for him in the middle.

It seems our only offensive ideas were get the ball to the top of the box and try to brute force it through the defense into the box or shoot from 30m out for the field goal. Spoiler alert: there aren't 3 point shots in MLS.

SportingKCFan repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought Twellman's comment on the long shots was pretty accurate: SKC is simply out of ideas when they get into the final third, so they pump in long shots for lack of other options.
    I realize this Rubio, Salloi possession based front line is a new look for us, but I'm not really sure what they point is if it doesn't produce goals, or at least shots.
    So just doing a bit of quick math, this season Gerso has produced a shot every 34 minutes, a sog every 80 minutes and a goal every three games played.
    Blessing has produced a shot every 39 minutes, sog every 80 and goal every 3.9.
    Salloi: shot every 28 minutes, sog every 73. goal every 4 games.
    Rubio: shot every 35 minutes, SOG every 174 and goal every 3 games.
    Lobato's sample is too small to have any meaning, imo.
    Man, that is depressing. I was hoping to find a way out of this mess.

14. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    I feel likethey got on the pitch this time though with Vermes' order to shoot more, and only after Feilhaber's first three field goals they went back to their usual passing passing passing.
    I also find it interesting that back in the thread for the US open cup game someone complained about Vermesball being just passing and no goal threat, which I found completely inappropriate for that particular game, but since then it's been spot on.

On the plus side, Ilie must have had his first shot (apart from headers after corners) since he came to SKC. I've never seen a player that averse to shooting the ball, and the other teams are definitely aware of this by now in the way they are defending against him.

15. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Salloi, but the kids a buck fifty (soaking wet) with all the muscular definition of a spaghetti noodle.. He's not built to play as a No.9 and would get beat up by the average MLS CB.

As for the clubs offensive woes and lack of attacking ideas....its to be expected when you sell the only consistent goal scorer on the team and replace him with bags o'cash. Long term, selling Dom this year will be a good move. Short term, unless Diego steps up, this is who team is..

mschofield repped this.
  16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Vermes has never been good at building an offense. It is known.

drhoades00 repped this.
  17. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Perhaps we can get a cunning little man to come in and advise us on how to deploy our troops.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is he really 150? I think that's a roster lie. He looks as if he could be 130.
    I agree, this is who we are.
    The question i have is if we are pre-printing one of the front three for the starting 11 why is it Salloi right now? It would seem that Gerso more than anyone on this roster has proven himself to be a difference maker. I know he's been off, but he has the speed, strength and cunning to at least hold a defense's attention.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the same time, this is the team that started all 5"3' of Latif Blessing at CF vs NYCFC...

How long are we going to say Gerso's just "off" though? Since he scored against Montreal on June 10th, KC has played 15 games across all competitions, he's been involved in just 2 goals in that time frame, both mop up efforts in second half stoppage time (91st vs Houston in USOC and 92nd vs Dallas on 8/19), that's half of the season that Gerso's pretty much been off (Columbus was KC's 31st game of the season).

Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to believe Gerso is a DP. How long of a contract did we sign him for?

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, then was the aberation the first chunk of the season? I don't disagree, but we don't have a single striker who doesn't have problems. We look like a side that doesn't have answers and since the shoulder, he's been a part of that problem, but before it he was the best response we had to questions about our attack.
    I'd rather start Messi. Working with what we've got, I just want some hope...

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Through 2019 with an option for 2020.

We look like a side that sold their one consistent goal scorer, didn't get a true replacement, and are hoping to rely on a very good defense, and a goalkeeper having the best season of his career to carry us. Unfortunately unlike the last time we had a very good defense and a goalkeeper having the best season of his career we also had a forward who could consistently find the net, allowing KC to kill off games 1-0.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. I miss Molnar, too.
    2. Dom was not a consistent goal scorer for us this season. His consistent goals left before he did.
    3. This situation leaves me much sadder at the crapfest that was getting clearance on Parsemain should have (at least he was hope).
    4. Before Gerso started scoring, he was still a beast for us. Unlike Lobato, he looked dangerous and unsettled opponents.