Kansas City at Columbus (Sun Jun 23rd, 4:30PM CT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Jun 17, 2019.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Back in action this Sunday after a healthy spell of rest. Only one thing left to play for, let's hope the second half goes better than the first half.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Steffan, Trapp, or Zardes (Gold Cup/leaving for Man City). Higuain is out for the season.

They also play Tuesday vs Atlanta in the Open Cup.

3. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    team not in form with a bunch of their best players missing and on short rest. If ever there was a setup for a first away win of the mls season.

4. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An MLS relegation battle without all of CBUS's best players. Played during the WWC, the Gold Cup and Copa America. Scheduled for a Sunday afternoon, in front of what will be another sparse #SavetheCrew crowd.

Ratings are going to be high for this one.

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait... what? is man city high? he's awful.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's just at the Gold Cup (along with Trapp), Steffen is at the Gold Cup then on his way to City (then out on loan).

7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, with the lack of comments on the forum, this must be the “we don’t care what happens, the season is trash” game.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Guess a lot of wait-and-see. Just have no idea if the good players we have will be enough. We'll see what happens. I'm interested but no longer optimistic.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly this forum's been dying a very slow death with post counts dropping regularly for the past number of years.

10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is. I hate to see it die. There have been some great discussions and information shared here (along with some really stupid stuff). What is a better alternative or are the discussion forums generally just dying?

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussion forums in general tend to be dying. Reddit isn't bad, but it's not great either. The Cauldron Facebook has been better since it was resurrected, but I still don't go there often. I tend to stick to Twitter, but that has it's negatives too.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMH at this team so far. 42nd minute,

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nemeth with a stunning 1st half.

14. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is this? It's my favorite away team tifo.

Attached Files:

15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A truly awful game. Yes SKC got the win, but looked bad doing it. The defense is still a mess. I thought the bad run of form was just a phase during all the injuries, but now am fairly convinced they just aren’t a very good team. I hope they make the playoffs but I’m not convinced they can pull it off.

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the Toluca games at the start of the season and how good we looked. Mid-season form I thought.

Now, we have devolved into this.

17. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    Sometimes two bottom feeder teams playing against each other actually turns out to be a good match. This definitely was not one of them. Ridiculous defensive mistakes overshadowed by somehow even worse finishing, on both sides. If people call Croizet a turnover machine, what was Feilhaber in this game then? Same with Zusi. Melia's distribution abysmal as well, and Barath/Besler had either only backpasses or failed long pass attempts. As Kcfutbol has brought up Toluca, the difference is just mindboggling. As I remember, at least in Toluca they pressed us as well and we passed through their press without any problems. The only real difference between this team and the one that played Toluca was missing Espinoza - and Feilhaber for Espinoza should at least on paper be a net plus passing wise. Is all this really just lack of confidence?

Melia almost scored himself another own goal just like the one against Colorado. I cringe every time an opponent gets a corner or free kick as Melia does not seem to have any box control anymore. At least he got his shot stopping swagger back this game.
    In the dying minutes of the game we somehow let two balls over the top happen despite sitting deep that only did not turn into goal chances cuz Columbus' replacement striker cant control the ball.
    Oh, and Nemeth had himself quite a game as well, somehow whiffing a toepoke and thinking you get half a minute to prepare your shot when you are alone in front of the goal.

For a long time, I was still being positive about the season as, while we didn't rake in points, I still felt like we played pretty ok. Now we have gotten 5 points from three away games and I somehow feel worse about our playoff chances.

18. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the ESPN power rankings just popped up on my phone and SKC is 21 out of 24. Only Chicago, Columbus, and Cincinnati trail us.

19. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Playoff chances" in 2019 aren't what they used to be given the revised format. Getting into the playoffs should no longer be the bar, it should be positioning yourself to get as many HOME playoff games as possible. The target should be a top 4 finish in the West, not being above the playoff line (where more than half the West will finish). Even if this team squeaks into the playoffs, who in their right mind thinks they are going to string together three consecutive away wins against progressively better competition?

After a while, you are what your record says you are.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some of us are living in what we're told is an idyllic countryside setting for the summer ... that doesn't have wifi and only occassional phone service. FWIW (not much) I still think we can go on a run, make the playoffs and lose in the conference final.