Kansas City at Colorado (Sat. March 24th, 8:00PM CDT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Sachsen, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Shelton, well freaking done. Hold it up, make a GORGEOUS backheel, and Rubio with the great run for the goal. Very well done by both of you.

mschofield repped this.
  2. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Who would have thought our two center forwards would do that!!

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I will take that point. Honestly, I think we were the better team. Eliminate the defensive brain cramps and we come out of there with a win despite the clumsiness and mistakes. Anyway, I love the fight to come back to get those two goals.

And yay for the Chileans.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, how about Vermes with the timely, appropriate subs that actually contribute and make a difference in the result? With all the possession and CO having a 2 goal lead, putting Medranda on for Sinovic allowed us another offensive option. Gerso has done well getting involved in the attack as a sub so far this season, did well tonight. Could argue Rubio should have been thrown on as a "kitchen sink" sub earlier, but he did well when he came on.

mschofield repped this.
  5. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Small sample, but Gutierrez is looking like the best player in Kc since who/when?

So, I think Croizet fails a lot, but dang, he sure is good at finding himself in sweet spots to better highlight his failures. (Yes, this is a compliment).

I feel like this team's ceiling is very high.

Some wierd sh** with Rapids and their ball kids.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an excellent way to put it. It feels like the midfield and wings are extremely solid, and I still have faith that the defense will right their ship. If Shelton, Croizet, and Rubio can continue to improve, the sky may very well be the limit.

mschofield repped this.
  7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 games, 9 goals conceded. They have to find an answer, because if Felipe gets hurt, there is no coming back from a 2 goal deficit.

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about that long ball from Roger to Croizet's head on the first goal buildup? Absolutely inch-perfect.

And I think I have been seeing two Sheltons. The Shelton out on the field during open play is kind of useless. Slow, awkward, clumsy with the ball at his feet. But the Shelton in the box with his back to the goal is something else. You can argue he created both of our goals by being that big presence in the middle of the box, unselfishly drawing attention, watching his teammates move, blocking defenders' and keeper's vision, being patient, creating space. And that hold-up play and backheel to Rubio were just perfect. Really hard to argue with offensive results the last three games with him starting, despite zero goals of his own.

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best matches for both for SKC. Croizet was in a lot of really good spots. I'm convinced his early whiff was half overzealous and half French style over substance. But he was quite encouraging tonight.
    Did that header have Timmy H beat? I think the fact that Croizet just missed putting it on goal was the only reason that led to a goal. Technically, the right move, headed hard and down, but a bit too much bounce and that height was perfect for a keeper.
    Like Croizet, Shelton does have to score off of at least one of the, what, three times when he should have. But his movement was better, and the touch to Rubio was quite nice, and the block for Felipe's goal was solid thought.
    He might be growing into that role.
    Worst game from Russell. He didn't do much wrong, but I had to keep searching for him on the field, because he wasn't doing a thing. Maybe it was the altitude? It's tough the first time you play at it.
    On their first goal, Zusi really has to shut down that cross, and Ike has to not leave Badji to run on the ball, and (IMO, the toughest of the three) Melia would have stopped that last season, but it is a hell of an ask from that range.
    On the second, that's as basic a beat down as there is in the game. He just made Besler look bad, in a way that I cannot remember Besler looking bad in a long, long while (well, since Brazil, 2014 when Lukaku made him look like a rank amateur).
    This doesn't say much, but that was Ilie's best game this season. It's really odd, he was okay, had a couple wonderful Ilie plays, and couple whaaaa? plays, and vanished for long stretches, but then reappeared with some vigor. I admit, I am totally confused by him.Medranda was a great sub. He was really solid, IMO.
    Gerso was fine, but oddly had one of those matches where he doesn't look particularly quick. I really do not get that. Fast should be fast.
    I heard Balboa on our 4-3-3 vs their 3-5-2, which was invented to counter the 4-3-3. It was an interesting tactical talk. trading 2/3s of the field in exchange for giving up the wings when we attack.
    Not sure I buy it because our 4-3-3 is too often a 4-5-1. I can't see that on tv this, but last year Ilie turned it into a 5-4-1 a bit. Is he a little more forward this year.
    In the end, we could have had a couple more. And they could have had a couple more. It was a tie that felt like a win coming late, but a tie was probably a fair result.
    Also, that was the best game I've seen from Howard for a while. bit mediocre, but he's been bad.

10. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    it's weird saying that.. but if Opara continues playing like this Vermes really might have to consider seeing how Didic would do. Third horrible display in a row.

the offense however was pure class again. Gutierrez is just amazing, I'm really starting to wonder how the heck they convinced him to come to KC. If there's something to criticize about him is that he's imo not available enough in the build up play - third time a high press has caused us significant problems, thankfully colorado seemed to run out of steam after a while.

russell being comparatively quiet might have been due to the fact that he had to play on his unfavored left wing.

had the same issues with our pressing again.. everyone is pressing fairly well but there's just no speed in shelton's press. And he didn't even press at all when Howard had the ball although we were 2-0 down. It's one thing seeing nothing happen on the pitch because colorado players or ball children are delaying the restart of the game. but seeing Howard hold the ball for 20 seconds+ cuz shelton's not closing him down was suuper annoying.

mschofield repped this.
  11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It remains to be seen, but Shelton - while not the striker we want - may be the striker we need.

mschofield repped this.
  12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not saying I think it's time, but if we sat Opara wouldn't we sit him for Arnor? He looked miles ahead in preseason.
    Or is this another right foot, left foot thing.
    I know Russell says he prefers the right wing, but he is left footed. Playing on the left shouldn't be a burden, should it?

vividox repped this.
  13. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The thing I've noticed about Shelton is that he appears to be a true team guy. In all three games he's gotten in the face of an opponent to "protect" one of our guys. He also is the first one to run to the goalscorer after every single goal. Most times he appears happier then the goal scorer. How many times have we seen him already put his arm around someone who's scored? Even the guy who could probably take his job.

KC96 repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Audi Index is not perfect, but it is interesting. Look at the overall stats from this match and it was typical SKC. We dominated possession, SOG was wildly in our favor (they had 2, we had 9), total shots, we won 20 to 8. Our passing accuracy was better in all areas of the field. We held them to five crosses etc...
    In the Audi numbers, seven of the top 9 players in that game were with SKC. The player numbers are surprising: Our top four players, statistically: Felipe, no surprise that he was statistically far and away the best player on the field. RE, no surprise he was the second best for us and overall. he was his usual workhorse self. The, after Wynne for CO, Shelton and Croizet, who seemed better than they had, but the numbers back up that feeling.
    After that, Opara, Rubio, then Besler. Two CBs who had miserable nights, but maybe the stats have a point. Was it them or ...
    Our two worst players statistically: Melia and Sinovic, both deep into overall negative numbers. Melia didn't have a save. Sinovic didn't make an impact.
    Medranda was a force for good.
    Zusi was a huge step down from what we've seen last season and this.
    Ilie was on the ball a total of 60 times (half what he would have been last year) and in the attacking half he completed 26 passes and had 9 picked off. He put the ball out of play a couple times as well.
    Russell had 19 sucessfull and 12 unsuccessful passes in the attack. Overall, he wasn't really involved.
    In any case, worth a look.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also, i have to admit I missed from 82 to 89, so I assume not much happened. Stupid legal issues, combined with Eurosport not broadcasting anything MLS this weekend because, well, it's an international break and professional clubs don't play on international breaks. Please cue Ralph Kramden.
    So if you're looking at my comments and thinking I'm ignoring what happened at 85', you are correct.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also for Vermes, he's said the goals in the first three games were the result of mistakes, and not systematic, and I think he'd be right for this game as well.
    As noted, we could see a huge upside develop in the next month or so.

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, Amor seemed like a power depth signing. I assume he's way ahead of Didic on the depth chart. At this point, I'd really like to see him start because something is clearly not working on defense. Opara has been uncharacteristically awful.

18. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    completely forgot about amor. you guys are right that he will be the first option.

as to the audi index, I've wondered about this as well. I'm actually quite a fan of a statistical approach to soccer, so it would be interesting to make a closer analysis of why there's such a discrepancy between what I feel like most commenters here on the big soccer post think about opara's season so far and his audi index points.

just looking at the stats briefly here are a few things that are potentially a problem with the audi index:

-most importantly, it appears to give the whole weight of goals conceded to the goalkeeper.

- they don't seem to have a stat for marking. There is one -45 stat for a 'challenge lost', but I'm pretty sure that's the one where a colorado player came inside the box from the left hand side and got through opara (I believe in the second half). the instance of failing to mark badji for the first goal I don't think was counted against him at all. And failing to mark the colorado player that almost scored for a header for a third goal was 'only' counted as a lost aerial battle.

- In a positive manner, there is the statistic 'key passes', but there is no statistic 'horrible passes' in the sense of passes that lead to goal chances for the opponent, which is something opara has been liable to do this season much more than last. (though I don't think there were any such instances in the colorado game)

- no adjustments for qualities of finish when it comes to shots. This is probably one of the reasons why offensive players are the top audi players of the game most of the time. Surely, Opara should get points for getting into goal scoring positions, but both his finishes were objectively horrible.

- given the height advantage an average cb has vs an average striker, aerial wins should probably count for less than they do and aerial losses for more than they do.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On the goal, it really appeared that he looked bad, saw Badji, and released him to take a front post position. It seemed like an odd move, but an intentional one. Maybe he just thought he had the front and Badji was sandwiched if he stepped out a bit, meaning it would be a basic execution error. You can't step out and not get that low ball.
    I admit, he confuses me.

20. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    What foot does Amor favor? PV seems set on the left footed and right footed CB thing. Would prefer to sit Ike, so hopefully Amor is right footed. In terms of Ike or Besler...Ike seems a bit more error prone so far, though Besler has not been perfect. Also, Ike is more injury prone and perhaps we can get him some rest and save minutes for later in the season (realize this is not a totally sound rationale, but running it out there anyway).

21. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Surprised by the lack of Medranda love here. That was, simply, the best offensive effort I've seen from a SKC back in years. Absolutely fantastic. With Ilie around, we can afford to push him up and get exactly that play from him. Then he's fast and insightful enough to recover. We are a completely different and more dynamic team with Medranda on the field. Seth is ultra conservative, and there's room for that at times. But let's be honest. Seth is a black hole and kills the flow. Furthermore, he doesn't win 50-50 balls because he either doesn't anticipate or refuses to assert himself. He's a 1970s fullback. Again, nothing wrong with it, but Medranda's play will lead to goals. Seth inhibits our offense. Considering our difficulty scoring, I'll take the offensive option 4 out of 5 games unless its a pure sacrifice.

Like many of you noted, Shelton is a beast with his back to the goal. He's going to need time learning how to play off others. His runs aren't bad in location, but they aren't timed well and angles aren't sharp yet. Opara was horrendous again. Croizet....I think there's something there I like. Some guys take time. Hell, Coutinho took 6 games with Barca in order to look simply average.

Ilie was more assertive, picking his times to run very well. Great game from him.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medranda being able to get involved more was also helped greatly by the fact that Colorado was up for a good portion of his 45 minutes allowing them to sit a lot further back allowing him the ability to get forward more and get more involved without as much defensive responsibilities.

Against a team that is going to attack more and really exploit KC's pushing forward, Medranda is going to be a liability (especially if Yohan "I jog back after a give away" Croizet is playing in front of him). As an example I point you to his 21 minute performance against Chicago where he was partially at fault on all 3 goals.

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Medranda, but gotta disagree with the negative assessment on Sinovic. He had a subpar game against COL, but he played very well against both CHI and SJ. I believe I said earlier this year that I would like to see them platoon at LB. Seth can't go 90 game after game anymore, but he is still extremely solid defensively and a really good passer and controller of the ball most of the time. He was linking well with Salloi. In fact, I would bet his subpar half against COL was due to playing with a new partner (Russell) in front of him, not to mention COL's high press and playing at altitude.

We have two good left backs, or at least two guys who can play the position well. That's more than a lot of teams can say, so I'm glad to have them both depending on the game and situation.

24. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Observations so faf.....Gutierrez looks like the best DP we have ever signed and the most impactful player we have had since Bravo. He is a step in the right direction in terms of DP signings for KC. A player that scores goals or sets them up and is on par with DP's that the big clubs would sign. We don't need to spend DP money on center backs.

Russell also looks to be an outstanding off season pickup. I like his bravery, work rate, and skill level with the ball.

Croizet....getting better, but his inactivity off the ball is concerning. I have never seen a player walk as much during the PV coaching era as Croizet when he does not have the ball. He doesn't work back defensively. He looks unfit.

Gerso - a very impactful sub. His speed is tough to deal with when he is brought in as a second half impact guy.

Center forward duo - we need help. Rubio and Shelton both belong on the bench. A Sapong type would do wonders for this team. A guy that can be strong and offer hold up play, plus get on the end of crosses, would do wonders for this team.

Defense - Ike looks off. Otherwise, I think we are leaking goals more this year because the wingbacks are up high. As long as we keep scoring goals, which the wingbacks are helping with, I'm OK with that approach.

Medranda - as Buzz said, this was PV's master stroke in the Colorado game. Turned the game upside down when he came in. He offers a lot more going forward than Seth does. He's not as good a defender as Seth, but he's a good sub to change the game. Good utility player.

Sachsen repped this.