Kansas City at Chicago (Sat. March 10th, 5:00PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that's what the announcers always label "getting caught in two minds." Easy to judge from here, but even the best players do it from time to time. I'm still perfectly comfortable calling it rust. Same, honestly, with the Besler foul. And you can get annoyed at our players for making mistakes because of that, or you can realize that the other team lost the game because they handled their rust much worse.

2. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A couple thoughts

!. The Roadaron was absolutely fantastic to be a part of. It made the game that much better. The chants and banter with the fans to the right of us was great. There were times I felt we were louder then the rest of the stadium.

2. At halftime my biggest fear came true when we decided to again play a deep line. WE ARE NOT GOOD AT THIS. History shows that. When we are good defensively were not allowing our opponent to get 30 yards to our goal. This is exactly what we did in the first half. (As much as you can on the road). We have never been a good park the bus/scramble team.
    I know that it's human nature to sit on a lead on the road, but we have to be more aggressive or we're going to get burnt.

3. As of right now Shelton has to start at CF. It's so clear why he's preferred there rn. The dude is literally the first line of defense. He closes lanes extremely well. I see a lot of people saying Salloi should be at CF and I disagree. First off do we want Salloi going one on one cutting inside? Or do we want him back to goal against stronger defenders? It wastes his abilities.

Also Salloi does not close down lanes well. In fact this lead to the sequence for Chicagos first goal. Salloi was slow to react and press and allowed the Chicago defender to turn and play the ball through the middle. Another example occurs right before this in the 62nd minute. Salloi cuts off the wrong lane. Instead of pushing the pass wide he pushes it right up the middle to a wide open Chicago midfielder. Now I'm not saying Salloi is at fault for the goals, but it's one breakdown in a series of many defensive breakdowns.

Don't take too much from Shelton being on the field when we allowed 0 goals, but definitely don't take nothing either.

4. Gerso's movement off the ball is fantastic right now. Our third goal is created by Gerso crashing the shot. How many times have we seen our forwards stand still in the box off of a play like that in the past? It's a shame because I want him to start, and he deserves to, but again in my mind Salloi-Shelton-Russel is our best go at it.

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not to immediately turn around and slag on your opinions, but I personally find high pressing to be a net negative from a forward, at least from a striker. An intermittent and aggressive press can be useful, but always demanding the striker be the front line of success is how Pete earned us average to less than offenses for a decade.

But that's probably just me. If the team can balance the press and still counterattack, I'm all for it. But I'm about down with using very slow buildups as time to catch their breath after a heavy round of pressing.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the same aspect they've also allowed 0 goals with Sinovic on the field. You're reading a bit much into it this early.

5. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thats also how he earned us a top defense for the last decade as well. I'm not arguing rather it's the right thing to do, because we know PV has a system and is stubborn.

What I'm saying is for the system to work to it's max you need a high pressing forward like Bunbury, Dwyer, Shelton, Etc....

RIP Bieler

6. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To be fair I should of taken out the too so it read "Don't take much but don't take nothing either".

I think it's even more obvious with Sinovic(we have the last 7 years as proof), but I feel like an educated fan knows that already.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my pbp:

Which is why I still am not impressed by him. I have very little confidence in him doing the smart thing. Every time I see him running with the ball at his feet, I am resigned that the attack is going to die.

I think you guys who are still high on him are forgetting how infuriated we were with him last year during our 2-3 month dry spell. He went game after game after game as literally the worst player on the pitch. He's going to have to show me a lot of really good play before I come back around on him.

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good video here. I just now realized that Besler paid for his foul on Schweinsteiger in literal blood; Basti's free kick into the wall was stopped by Bes's face and gave him a bloody nose.

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just FYI, one of the advantages of what appears to be the fact that Eurosport Germany hands MLS game production over to the lazier interns is that the announcer audio goes missing, sometimes for minutes at a time. During these moments of nothing but stadium sounds, the SKC road support was heard loud and clear in Berlin. It was impressive. Well done.

Sachsen repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A TV view is always a limited one for movement. But what you're describing looks, on TV at least, to reverse itself in the attack. Shelton doesn't look vibrant in creating passing lanes. He looks like he should be great back to goal, but he didn't play that way. And i'm trying to remember if he got a shot off that went farhter than the foot of his defender. He certainly isn't quick on the trigger, in any case. In attack, Salloi looks better.
    Salloi is not an ideal solution. He's not a 9 at this point. And the Shelton data set for SKC is too small at this point to make a judgement.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other part of this video I really like is at the very end of the game, when the final whistle blows, Russell punches the seat in front of him repeatedly in triumph. I like his intensity.

mschofield repped this.
  12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you like this because you hate chairs?

Sachsen repped this.
  13. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    According to his practice interview today it looks like Vermes agrees with my point on Shelton helping our defense.