Kansas City at Chicago (Sat. March 10th, 5:00PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Mar 6, 2018.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two games in and 5 goals against? Ouch! Glad to get the win, but damn....

CCinGermany and mschofield repped this.
  2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow indeed, That's an instant classic. okay, we both had issues, but man that was fun

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're forgetting the really nice dummy by Gerso.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but mostly I'm just grateful that he didn't attempt the shot himself. Addition by subtraction. Gerso is still not impressing me.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Seriously? The only mistakes I think he made in attack was when he tried to cross it too late twice. And I'm putting that down to rust or chemistry. He was a bare save away from a goal, and his goal threat created both of our last two goals. Him and Russell both looked wonderful.

The defense is being weird right now. I wonder what that's about. Course, I'd much rather see our offense show some spark and our defense work at taking shape than the opposite, which is a tired old story.

7. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    1. Back line disjointed I think because of who is playing in front of them. Not cohesive or holding shape in the dmid. That's one thing I'm pretty sure Pete can fix.
    2. Roger. 70% shit, 30% wonderful. If we could get him to 50-50, that'd be better for us. Repeatedly I literally started yelling at him and then, out of nowhere, he's starting a run or placed himself well enough to stop one defensively.
    3. Opara. Set a record for lowest percentage of clearances when given the opportunity. He really made things more difficult. Not his best game.
    4. Felipe. He a better version, or at least much more consistent version of 2017 Benny thus far.
    5. Russell needs to play on the right. He looked fantastic tonight.
    6. I like what Shelton brought. I really liked what Salloi brought. If we could put 10 pounds of muscle on Salloi, I think he has a future on top.

Besler should get hazed or whatever they do nowadays for that foul at the end. Idiotic, to say the least. Dumbass move made when you aren't thinking.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For pure fun, best match since 6-4 over Columbus.
    I don't think it was just coincidence that Seth went out and the goals started pouring in. Medranda is better going forward, though Seth was good last night, but esp with Zusi rampaging, Seth's more conservative approach meant our shape was much better. We were a mess on the goals, pulled apart.
    Part of that is for a second game, Ilie was not Ilie of 2017. I attributed that to NY taking him out of the buildup, and maybe people are focusing on him as a way to stop us, but I'd be interested to see an opta breakdown on him. I'm guessing it looks really different than what we got used to.
    Opara was weird. He got to almost everything, and then just kind of fizzled.
    Melia... The German announcer insisted he had a shocker of a night. I can't agree, but it was not good. He's been less than he was last season, when he could be counted on for an unexpected save or two every match. The third goal was simply poor, he gave away the near post. The second was the sort not mistake but mental blink he didn't make last year. He would have seen the consequences of a parry and punched it wide. The first was on Medranda, though a very fine move and pass by Schweinsteiger to beat him.
    I think our starting top line is the one that finished this match. Russell, Salloi and Gerso were electric.
    Shelton sure looks like a CF. Maybe our team shape suffered a bit when he left? I just think Gerso's speed unsettles a defense, and Salloi've movement off the ball is quite nice. Also, on the put on 10 pounds of muscle notion, clearly he already has, right? He looks a ton stronger
    And Felipe is better than Benny in 2017. He might be Benny 2016.
    If you watched the MLS analysis piece, Doyle said he's worried about our defence. I think that's a bit much. Same pieces are there, and we can trust that Vermes will sort that out.
    Still, I'd take one season of 7 goal thrillers.

9. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed. Not Melia's best night. Chicago earned the first one, but the other two had more to do with him not securing the ball or being out of position. We also had one saved off the line and another close call at the post.

As for us, I was impressed by our finishing. It seems like in the past I'd see wild shots from SKC that were not on frame and someone holding their hands to their face. Not last night. Twice Gutierrez was calm. Same with Russell. Medranda too.

Chicago is not to the level of NYCFC, but we looked better.

mschofield repped this.
  10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not even going to try to digest that. That was ridiculous. I'm loving Russell and Felipe. Our defense is atrocious. Can't believe we won that.

xamers and mschofield repped this.
  11. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half our shots were on target. That's the most exciting stat for me. I was even okay with the couple that Gutierrez took from range. Easy stops, but it keeps the defense honest when you can put it on frame.

xamers, Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  12. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, PV has been trying his damnest to send Seth to the bench for the last few years it seems like, but time and again he shows he' still our best defensive option.

Sachsen and mschofield repped this.
  13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're right, which is frustrating to me, because he is in my opinion the weakest link in our best XI. The team has literally been trying to upgrade the left back position for five or six years, but no one has panned out. Seth is pretty steady, a bit too likely to foul and pick up cards for sure, but he does a good job locking down that side. We keep seeing new guys tried out, but none of the years or the injuries or form questions have been enough trouble for anyone else to actually be better.

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm honestly ok with Medranda and Sinovic splitting time at LB 50/50. Save the wear and tear on Seth, keep Medranda fresh, and please, no Lobato.

vividox, kcfooty, Uppa 90 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    On the flip side of the option to start Medranda and Gerso, they are hair-on-fire awesome coming in in the 70th minute. I can't imagine containing all that speed that late in the game with dead legs from the left. Such a great option for us moving forward. I haven't felt that way regarding anything attacking from SKC for awhile.

16. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutierrez and Russell are great additions to this team. Shelton showed some ability to hold the ball and deserves more time at CF. Salloi looks like Nemeth Jr.

vividox and mschofield repped this.
  17. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Shelton but PV needs to light him up. He was way too nice to the defenders and much to tentative about runs into the box. Not quite ready for prime time.

18. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still hyped about this game... it was a whole lotta fun

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #69 mschofield, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Salloi looks pretty okay at CF as well.
    Shelton really looks like a classic CF, but he's a bit static. I haven't gone back through the whole game, though I am looking foward to a second full viewing, but look at the highlights. Not exactly the all-action hero movement of Shelton on our first two goals. I guess his play led to one, as if he wasn't dispossessed at midfield we wouldn't have gotten the ball back and raced into the box as he toddled along behind. And look at how his movement pulls defenders away from the play on the second, oh wait, don't, because he's ignored as he slowly skips by watching the play.
    I'm not saying he's a waste. He sure looks like a striker. but he's lost right now. Salloi is found.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think Salloi would be somewhat of a waste in the middle. He is dynamic on the wing, sees a lot of the ball, has some speed, good at passing and linking, etc. In the middle, trying to play the Dwyer role? I just think it would minimize a lot of his strengths for maybe no compensating benefit. Better to let Shelton grow into that, I think, given his size and apparent abilities in the air. That's something we haven't had enough of since Kei and Sapong departed.

21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I want Salloi in the middle because I want Gerso starting, haha. But really, along his other skills, Salloi has one of the best turn and shoot techniques I've seen on this team. His first touch is much better than his opposition's, and I think he has a better eye for his part in the team. He's not much aerially though, nor does he run behind particularly cleverly.

mschofield repped this.
  22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know this is not possible, but we need to dump the Dwyer role. My reasoning is a bit difficult to follow, but I will try to explain it this way: WE NO LONGER HAVE DWYER, Mr. Vermes.
    Russell looks good switching sides and running at people. Gerso unbalances people with his speed and is good to switch as well. Salloi can play in the center, he showed that, but he's better floating, as well. Our talent is a liquid top 3.
    Shelton might turn into that sort of player for us, but he isn't right now and I don't like the idea of giving away a position, and keeping someone we really need off the field.

23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    For sure! But he won't push his offense to play that way because defending responsibilities are muddled when you don't have a specific fullback to protect. A dynamic, fluid attack is virtually a necessity in top level soccer these days, and it's looking like you can scrape by without it less and less in this league every year.

mschofield repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you have a fluid attack, then your fluid attackers transition to fluid defenders, don't they? It's basic situational awareness isn't it? Responsilibities don't change, but the people shouldering them do depending on location.
    I mean, that's the better versions of Barcelona (Barcelona, for instance) handle it

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was rewatching the end of the game and I'm still trying to figure out what Gerso was doing on that last counter attack in stoppage time. He chips the ball to the back post when Sanchez is off his line. He either needs to play that ball on the ground earlier for Salloi or Croizet or chip the ball over Sanchez. We've talked about the silly foul Besler made at the end, but a breakaway like that needs to be finished or set up a decent quality chance.

xamers repped this.