Kainoa Bailey at Stallion Laguna FC (Philippines)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Germerica, Apr 25, 2013.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, he doesn't have to be the best U.S prospect ever to make a first team appearance.

A first team appearances could be in a minute of garbage time in a cup game. A tremendous amount of injuries could hit Leverkusen in a short period causing hi to be a possible option for the first team.

You never know.

I'll keep keep believing it's a possibility until the 2013/2014 season ends or it becomes evident through injury or a lack of quality that it isn't possible.:)

Make it happen Kainoa Bailey!

2. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but that wasn't my point, I'm not saying he isn't good. I was just using that to make the bigger point that the if kid was good enough to already be playing games for Leverkusen's senior squad at 17/18 then he'd have to be considered one of the best US youth prospects that we've had. Having watched his highlights and coupled with the knowledge that he isn't a highly considered youth here, that seems extremely unlikely. Bottom line he's not making any appearances for Leverkusen's senior team next year.

3. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 17/18? He would have to be one of the best players on the reserve team to even be in that position and being one of the best players on a Champions League club's quasi U-23 team at 17/18 is an extremely impressive accomplishment in itself. Landon wasn't making first team appearances for Leverkusen at an even older youth age. So yes, it would have implications on his pedigree as a youth prospect when you consider the level and standing of the players making senior appearances with Leverkusen at that age.

4. Brown Shark

Brown Shark Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Liked this bit:

"That experience in Brazil taught me a few lessons. First and foremost I was too comfortable in US and not consistently bringing a high level to training and games. I realized that I was not that good as a player and with twice a day trainings, school work and learning a different language that I had to step up."

Something that is often discussed in various youth NT threads.

jeffmefun and soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just training with the reserve team, I wouldn't read that much into it. He's a 95 -- I'd guess he'll be with Leverkusen's U-19 team next season. If he's exceptional, perhaps he'll play up with the reserves at some point during the year.

Gorky and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this every time I see the thread.

Winoman repped this.
  8. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid I don't get it... what is that?

9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quinoa. Haven't you ever eaten it?

[​IMG]

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kainoa, so good for you...

11. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alas, I have not, though I am just a young buck. I will have to try it.

12. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. soccerinparadise

Dec 18, 2009
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    So good to see another Hawaiian player excelling in Germany. Bobby Shou Wood and now Kainoa Bailey -- well, hey, at least the name is Hawaiian...Anyone know if there's a connection?

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You do hear that, though it's probably pretty rare for players who do what he describes to get a chance to "redeem themselves" with Bundesliga clubs. ;)

Well, life ain't fair.

16. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No solid evidence but I would say he is at least part Hawaiian. There is a large Hawaiian community in Las Vegas so it wouldn't surprise me if one or both of his parents were from the islands.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there some sort of procedural reason why Bailey hasn't played at either the U19 or U23 level? He is not even making the bench. He turned 18 in August, so that isn't it.

18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43 LongDuckDong, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    I imagine it's more complicated than you'd think. There are some barriers in the way for foreigners in the Regionalliga or the U19 Bundesliga. I don't specifically remember what they are, so maybe someone could help me out.

EDIT: So you need a work permit to play in the Regionalliga. If you sign for a Bundesliga II or Bundesliga team they pretty much give you a work permit automatically. In the Regionalliga there are some further requirements. I'm not sure if German and the US have a bilateral agreement that nullifies what I mentioned.

He's training with the reserve team rather than the U19s. That could be for any number of reasons. Different German teams have different philosophies on raising players. Sometimes better players stick with the U19s and then jump right to the senior squad. I'm afraid you can't read into these decisions all that much.

Balerion repped this.
  19. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Rodriguez signed with Kaiserslautern last year, work permit issues prevented him from playing with the U-19 team until January, and by then he was playing in the World Cup Qualifying so really it was February/March.

Tom Collingsworth and Balerion repped this.
  20. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bailey made the bench for the first time with Leverkusen II on Friday.

2 days later he made his competitive debut for the club with a 6 minute cameo in a U-19 game against Düsseldorf.

BostonRed, Gorky and USAMEX10 repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    WORD UP!!!

Tom Collingsworth, chad and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #47 Sandon Mibut, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Such awesomeness.

BTW, is that (a very young) Levar Burton playing the cop?

23. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    U23 match up today: Mario Rodriguez with MGlad(90min) vs Kainoa Bailey with BLever (sub in second half).

ielag, USAMEX10 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nice to see they got significant time with U23's...that's good I'd take it

25. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC