Kai Koreniuk at AZ Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Based on these reports, we have three young Yanks at Vitesse Arnhem. (Hat tip to @Clint Eastwood.)

Throughout the course of the past year, 15- year-old Kai Koreniuk has gone from playing Development Academy matches for Orlando City Youth Soccer (OCYS) to joining the Vitesse Arnherm Academy, which is tied to one of the biggest professional clubs in the Dutch Eredivisie division.
    http://www.orlandocityyouth.org/home/743418.html

This newspaper interviewed him from the Netherlands:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20130811/SPORTS/130819883

And:

Vitesse, which is French for “speed,” fits Koreniuk, who, at 6 feet, 165 pounds, uses his size and speed to power past defenders as a promising goal-scorer.
    http://www.ormondbeachobserver.com/soccer-stud-ormond-beach-resident-to-join-dutch-youth-club/

May highlights:

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TDS adds some detail -- he is a '98, and seems to be doing well:

“I was the leading goal scorer at the whole academy at one point,” Koreniuk told TopDrawerSoccer.com about his stellar level this season. “Now, I am the second leading goal scorer at the Academy. I have scored 11 goals in competition so far this season.”

Eleven goals puts him in the lead for top scoring honors with his team, the U17 side.​

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...prospects:-florida-teen-strikes-rich_aid32282

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's an update from the hometown paper:

After thriving with the under-16s at Vitesse, Koreniuk was moved up to the under-17 team, where he has scored 13 goals in competition this season. His standout play earned him an invitation to tryout for Holland’s under-16 squad.

It is a tremendous opportunity for the American-born player in a soccer-rich country with a reputation for developing talent. Koreniuk learned this week he made the first cut to play for the Dutch squad in an upcoming tournament in Portugal, one of 30 players to make it to the next round.

Surprisingly, Koreniuk has not yet heard from the U.S. Soccer Federation. Though he has played on regional teams, he has yet to be identified as an under-16 or under-17 possibility for the Americans.

“I have put on a Holland shirt in seven months and in 15 years never an American shirt,” he said. “It was kind of weird.”

Koreniuk’s Orlando City affiliation makes him a homegrown possibility, but the 6-foot, 170-pound striker said he hopes to sign a professional contract with Vitesse soon after his 16th birthday on March 1, if the club offers one.

And while Koreniuk said he is delighted by his opportunity with Holland, he acknowledged he would be very open to an invitation from the U.S.​

“I think for sure [I would accept,]” he said. “I was born and raised in the country."
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...eniuk-vitesse-holland-20140210,0,4607993.post

The author, Paul Tenorio, is a former Post colleague who is himself a big soccer fan from what I understand, though I don't know him personally.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new development...

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and ImaPuppy repped this.
  7. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep that pipeline coming!

LouisianaViking07/09 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

Koreniuk hopes he showed enough to the U.S. under-17 team and head coach Richie Williams to earn a roster spot for the upcoming Nordic Open Cup Tournament in Kolding, Denmark. The tournament runs from July 24-Aug. 3.

Williams has yet to finalize the roster, a spokesman for the U.S. Soccer Federation said.

Koreniuk is also slated to return to Vitesse and play again for the under-17 team. He hopes the overseas experience could give him a leg up on the competition.

Whatever it takes, Koreniuk just hopes to fit into the national team's plans someday.

“I think I would try pretty hard for 2018,” he said. “I'll be 20, so the likelihood isn't that high.

“But, there's always a chance.”​

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20140716/SPORTS/140719594

Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Better get those Abramovich rubles while they last.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  13. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of U17 trip to Chile:

U.S. U-17 MNT Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2):William Pulisic (Richmond United; Mechanicsville, Va.), Kevin Silva (Players Development Academy; Bethlehem, Pa.)
    DEFENDERS (7):Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls Academy; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.), Hugo Arellano (LA Galaxy Academy; Norwalk, Calif.), Daniel Barbir (West Bromwich Albion; Allentown, Pa.), Tanner Dieterich (Real Salt Lake AZ; Nashville, Tenn.), John Nelson (Internationals; Medina, Ohio), Logan Panchot (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; St. Louis, Mo.) Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.)
    MIDFIELDERS (6):George Braima (Crew Soccer Academy; Columbus, Ohio), Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal; Palmdale, Calif.), Keegan Kelly (Baltimore Celtic; Baltimore, Md.), Thomas McCabe (Players Development Academy; South Orange, N.J.), Christian Pulisic (Unattached; Hershey, Pa.), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas, El Paso, Texas)
    FORWARDS (5) Pierre Da Silva (New York Soccer Club; Port Chester, N.Y.), McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC; Austin, Texas), Kai Koreniuk (Vitesse; Ormond Beach, Fla.), Josh Perez (Unattached; La Habra, Calif.), Haji Wright (Unattached; Los Angeles, Calif.)

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/11/17/13/50/141117-u17mnt-roster-for-chile

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  15. Scout92

Scout92 New Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ritchie also said he will call him for the Nike Friendlies. See if he can stand in for Gallardo who has a broken leg.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #17 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    The loved, feared and always talked-about "making the bench in preseason" thing for Kai:

Edit: Also, Marvelous Nakamba!

beamish, bballshawn, superdave and 5 others repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Some color and detail from his hometown paper:

Kai Koreniuk could hardly believe his ears.

He could have sworn he had heard the time had come to make his professional soccer debut for Vitesse Arnhem. He asked first-team assistant coach John Lammers again to be sure.

“He nodded, 'Yes, be at the club at 4:15 (p.m.) for the team meal,' ” Koreniuk said in a direct message on Twitter. “That's when it hit me.”

He expects to play the 2015-16 season with the Under-19 club. Depending on his performance, he may be able to crack the reserve lineup.
    http://www.news-journalonline.com/a...fessional-debut-for-Dutch-soccer-club-Vitesse

Tom Collingsworth, Testudo and Winoman repped this.
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a lot of names on that team sheet. Does anybody know if they are mainly 2nd team players?

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    so its like 60-40 in fav for netherlands?

21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing Holland produce so much quality up front. Richie once again looking 'brilliant' by leaving him off the U-17 roster, especially in favor of Mexico's scraps at forward.

22. No, because I donot have the time to follow many youth teams. But when he is discussed in the youngsters thread I will direct that info in here.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored twice to move U19s forward into their cup final:

Under 19 through to final of the cup
    It's U19 Vitesse managed to beat the last hurdle to the final in their own home. Papendal came opponent last Saturday, Ajax U19, a 2-0 lead. Kai Koreniuk put a stop to that. He scored twice for Vitesse Vitesse and thus forced an immediate battle off penalties. In it, the yellow-blacks were the stronger of the two.

http://www.vitesse.nl/nl/nieuws/detail/5550/weekendoverzicht-academie-vitesse-o19-naar-finale

His goals start at 1:10 (first a PK):

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth, Gacm32 and hokeydokey repped this.