Kai Koreniuk at AZ Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 31, 2013.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts for Jong Vitesse:

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Key 4-2 victory against fellow relegation battlers HHC. Vitesse is almost out of the relegation/playoff zone. Just down on Spakenburg on goal differential to a small degree.

Koreniuk went 90. Didn't score any of the goals. From the limited pbp, sounds like he got stoned on 1 v. 1, but did at least contribute one assist.

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Vitessefan#1

Vitessefan#1 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Kai had 2 assists for this much needed win.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Vitesse's official pbp was very non-specific surrounding most of the goals.

I guess Kai got bumped back up because they started believing they needed to win with that club finally to avoid relegation. Definitely think they should prioritize avoiding relegation in the Tweede as opposed to winning the u-19 league. Keeping their reserve team at a reasonable level of competition is more important to the ultimate development of their first team, IMO. Really then they should take steps to even get promoted to the Eerste. The 3 reserve sides that play in the Eerste belong to 3 of the top 4 clubs in the Eredivisie table this season. Could be a cause-effect flip because they could be in the 2nd division because they are loaded with talent. Or they could be loaded with talent because they are in the 2nd division. You see this in other leagues though too where they allow reserve teams to rise up through the system as high as the 2nd division. I think there is something to it, because it's good experience for your prospects/reserve players to play at just one level below before moving to the top one.

Vitessefan#1 repped this.
  5. VitesseCFC

VitesseCFC Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arnhem
    Club:
    SBV Vitesse
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well they are not of the relegation battle just yet. Yes, direct relegation is not very close now, but 15th and 16th place also play a relegation play-offs

Vitessefan#1 repped this.
  6. Vitessefan#1

Vitessefan#1 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Correction: Kai Koreniuk had one assist and was taken down for a free kick, which lead to a goal. Just to be accurate.
    So true, hopefully they will be able to win the next couple of games!! The first team is doing awesome!! Ricky's hattrick was amazing!! 3 wins in one week! Super proud of Vitesse!!

7. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hat Trick Rick plays for Vitesse?

8. Vitessefan#1

Vitessefan#1 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    YEAH, Hat Trick Rick van Wolfswinkel...haha

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys were right. Jong Vitesse weren't in a relegation battle. They just got straight relegated, with 1 to play, after their 5-2 loss today. Kai was nowhere to be found. He's MIA again. If they indeed dealt with him like this to keep him from competitors with his contract coming up, it sort of serves them right.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Positive Spin: If he's not with Jong Vitesse could that mean he's with the U20s in Cali?

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always appreciate attempts at positivity, but he's only been in the 18 for Jong Vitesse twice since January despite scoring 10 goals in his 17 appearances through January.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Got my teams mixed up. Was thinking U19s. Sorry.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're being consistent, if they can hold him out of u-20 WC play to lower his market value, they will.

But if they continue with this stance, I think he'll go anywhere but Vitesse. They have to at least try to make amends. He comes across as a pretty heady and prideful kid who won't appreciate the tactics. They'd be punishing him for being too good. This wouldn't shock me if it happened in Portugal or Eastern Europe, but in Holland it does.

14. I think you are hallicunating. "to lower his market value, they will" is non existent, because market value is created/destroyed by first team play, nowhere else. For the rest you are scouted as a talent and non first team club matches are simply tools to judge the talent, nothing more.
    The Vitesse fan mentioned he is in his exam year for school, which is time consuming in the Netherlands.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

sakibomb523, Anderson11, KUSA77 and 9 others repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So how good/deep are AZ's striking group and will Kai be able to make the 18 from the get go or have to beat out several other strikers?

18. First of all this is a good move, because AZ is one of our top academy clubs. They beat us twice as the best academy of the land after we had a 5 year run and just this season were beaten by Ajax.

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't join them to play in their academy. According to the quotes from their sporting director and Kai himself, this move was for an opportunity with the first team. They tout his versatility as well. It appears he'll initially be the backup to "Wout Weghorst" and rotate at other positions, if everything goes as projected and expected.

He was obviously irked by Vitesse's handling of him and I believe he said so at the time. Otherwise he'd have likely re-signed with Vitesse, as they preferred. Vitesse and AZ are comparable clubs in the same league, and Vitesse are even playing in Europe this year unlike AZ. Not everything each club in the Netherlands does is in the right. They jerked him around and he didn't like it. It did hurt his value a bit. Perceptionally it doesn't help when you disappear at the youth level, even after you lead the 3rd division in scoring, but obviously AZ were able to see passed it.

20. Your comments makes me, and not for the first time, doubt your understanding of how the Dutch system of scouting, valuation and appreciation of talents actually works. You display the characteristics of projecting your American believes on how things work over here. Nobody with the qualities of Kai "disappear" from the sights of the top academy clubs like AZ. We over here have nothing with "perceptions", but everything with constant evaluation of how the development of a youngster is progressing. And when the opportunity rises to reel in a talent from another pond, it is taken.
    Young kids like him are being taken care of by the club's academy staff, even when part of the selection. The first team staff is always busy with the preps for a match and donot have the time to waste that time needed for the first team on teaching him the ropes of what he still needs to learn. That's academy stuff. So he will, if things go well, learn the things the first team staff practices with the selection and the stuff they already command butKai less, he will be instructed by the academy staff and tested how far he has gotten things in the first team trainings.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    This is incorrect. Nobody at the club expect him to go straight into the first team.

The club and player have both stated he will be starting with the reserves.

http://www.az.nl/nieuws/az-contracteert-koreniuk/1

Club - "The left winger in line with Jong AZ, which opens next season in the Jupiler League."

Kai - "I want to play with Jong AZ as much as possible and prove that I have it in me to make my debut in the first team"

What's noteworthy is that bit about the Jupiler League. Jong AZ and Jong Vitesse were both in the 3rd division (Tweede Divisie) last year but AZ went top of the league and got promoted to the 2nd division (Jupiler aka Eerste Divisie) while Vitesse was relegated to the fourth division so he is still getting an immediate bump in his level of play, just not to the Eredivisie.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those quotes are more complete and they counter what I inferred from this article where only the first team is discussed.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/s...ndout-koreniuk-signs-contract-with-az-alkmaar

“With this move he gets a podium to prove himself that he can make the step to to the first squad.”

“I thought it was a good step for me ... and I think have a chance to play for the first team here if I can develop myself and play with better players,”

In this case, as you said AZ has a team playing at a level in-between where Kai was and where he wants to go. Kind of semantics to even call an Eerste Divisie squad as being part of an academy. So it does make some sense to go there even if it's not projected he'll be with the 1st team absolutely immediately (he could still impress in preseason). He already conquered the 3rd division so no sense in going to another club where he'd just get dropped back in it. That would be stagnation of development. In a club with a 2nd team at the same or lower level, the only next step would be 1st team play. But this is fine for now, so long as he doesn't earn it in preseason. I really don't see much impediment for swift move up to the first team at AZ.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your comments make me, and not for the first time, think your purpose here was as a promoter of the Dutch system, and as a result want us to believe every single club in it are infallible.

It's not an American mindset or product of ignorance that if you conquer one level you've earned opportunity at the next. There really is nothing else to prove or reliable to prompt an opportunity. You shouldn't be expected to wait around for the random chance that someone gets injured. It could never happen. Frankly this is also a complaint about MLS too, that players just sit in the usl or on benches, waiting for chances that never come, in spite of their performances whenever they've gotten a chance w/ the reserve squad or off the bench. It's worse than it is in some of the better integration countries in Europe, like the Netherlands is. Nobody is asking for Kai to be developed at the 1st team level, or higher one than he was already playing at. That's a straw man. Just that he progressively gets his chance to prove he's legit and not by sheer happenstance. That's how the most functional clubs in Europe operate below those who just spend their way to prominence. Dortmund would be a good case in point. Look what Vitesse got for their troubles doing things their way; virtually nothing.

The same goes for player's perception being hurt by means of them being relegated to lower levels independent of play. That goes for any country or sport. On appeals to authority, other authorities question if they regressed or there was something lacking in their performance. That is only natural. It's just incredibly sensitive to feel like you need to provide a defense for that, and invoking the American supposed lack of knowledge about football to discredit is a cheap way of doing that.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bungadiri -- Let's update title to:

Kai Koreniuk at AZ Alkmaar

Gorky, bungadiri and Gacm32 repped this.
  25. Nope, as I also pointed at failures to aknowledge a player worthy for the 1st team. For those who read my post on the subject over the years also know that I mentioned big misses with players from our academies (at Feyenoord misses that costed us tens of millions, Bastos, Vincent Jansen and that forward that played for a time in the national team of Brasil, Fred) and Ajax and PSV had their misses too. So no, it isnot al roses and sunshine I presented since I am in BS.
    Sorry to contradict you, but that wasnot what I said. The point I made was that Kai still needs development and the first team staff isnot going to give that. It's done by the Academy staff.

This part I reacted on with my remark on perceptions. It is your interpretation of how he feels and how he reacts. It is your dislike about things that is put into words, not KK's!
    The red highlighted part was why I reacted with my remark "Your comments makes me, and not for the first time, doubt your understanding of how the Dutch system of scouting, valuation and appreciation of talents actually works."
    It isnot a glorification of it, it is a simple stating of facts that in the Netherlands the scouting and monitoring of talents is so extensive and deep, KK was never disappearing like you said. And the AZ move simply proves my point. They noticed he would be in a better situation at AZ than at Vitesse and offered him a switch.
    No, it isnot semantics. The Young teams are for a major part academy players, supplemented with reserve players from the forst team selection. The purpose of those youth teams like Young Ajax, Young PSV etc. play in our first division is to give them real competition by playing against men. They cannot win anything. The youth players in there are also on stand by for minutes in the first team.