Juve's Coppa Italia '06-'07

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by SueB, Aug 2, 2006.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Juve is seeded 23rd in this year's Coppa Italia and therefore must participate in the first three single-game knockout stages in August. The 'draw' (it's not random but based on seeding) was made today - Juventus plays at Serie C club Martina in the first match, scheduled for Aug 19. The winner will then face the winner of Lucchese/Cesena on Aug 23. At last, the winner of that game will face the survivor of Cervia/Ascoli and Napoli/Frosinone to see who enters the Round of 16 vs Parma.

If Juve passes all those hurdles, the quarterfinal opponent would likely be Roma. Milan could be faced in the semifinals. It is not possible to face Inter until the final.

2. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would be so sweet to take the cup this year... especially against Viera

3. italianblood23

italianblood23 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Near Philly
    Thats quite a few hurdles you guys have to reach the finals. And do remember the refs are no longer on your side, nor are some of your big names...

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And, of course, there's always the worry that Inter might not make it to the final.

5. italianblood23

Aug 1, 2006
    Near Philly
    So your already assuming we will... and your worried... funny juve fan.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    No, there is no assumption of that. I was adding to your assumption. Several of us have said that it would be sweet to beat Inter in the Coppa Italia this year. My point is only that, with the announcement of the bracket today, the only chance would be for both teams to meet in the final. You pointed out Juve might not get there. I was simply pointing out that Inter might not either.

Got it now?

7. italianblood23

Aug 1, 2006
    Near Philly
  8. tim10

tim10 Member

May 23, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Does anyone have a source, where it is mapped out like a chart or something?

9. joeginto

joeginto Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was thinking the same thing tim10. I've seen the list of teams that will play but haven't seen anything like a 'bracket' showing who is playing whom and potential opponents for subsequent rounds. Please share if anyone has seen it...my searches have come up empty.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  11. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why are we bothered, we will win it but in the end they are just going to give it to Inter anyways.. because that is the only way they can actually win something. Second hand scudetto anyone?

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Deschamps has stated that Buffon will be in goal for Juve's first-round match vs Martina tomorrow. I guess that shows how important it is to Juve to make it through these preliminaries. He'll likely be the only big name, however, although I haven't seen a full list of the players called up for the match. www.juventus.com promises a live chronicle of the game, which kicks off at 2:30 pm Eastern US time.

The match is being played at Bari's stadium to accommodate what will be an unusually large crowd for the home team. Martina is located around 30 miles south of Bari.

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lo Stadio San Nicola hardly gets a crowd so aside from the match against Reggina in May, it will the first time in a while that more than half of the stadium will be full.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martina 0-3 Juve

Marchionni 7'
    Bojinov 35'
    Nedved 81'

Bojinov scored in the 4', but it was called back for an non-existent offsides. And people whine that Juve gets all the calls. Juve absolutely owned the game.

15. italianblood23

Aug 1, 2006
    Near Philly
    Is martina hard to own, are they good? ;)

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the entire first line up didn't play, it was a good result. Just ask Inter how we are, they lost to them once already this season.

17. italianblood23

Aug 1, 2006
    Near Philly
    I was just asking, And dante as always bashes back. W/e dante says is correct guys.

And congrats on beating inter!;)

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'll put it this way. The only team that would have trouble owning Martina would be Inter. ;)

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You weren't just asking, you were trolling for an answer.

Thanks

20. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does anybody know if tomorrow's game will be shown on one of internet feeds? If so please provide a link. Thank You.

21. tim10

tim10 Member

May 23, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No tv and no radio.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can follow the game here... http://www.juventus.com/uk/news/detail.aspx?lml_language_id=0&trs_id=1368000&ID=8483

LOL, an excerpt from the game summary... "Nedved launches an exocet missile towards the top left hand corner with the outside of his boot."

Here's Juve's starting lineup...

Buffon; Balzaretti, Kovac, LeGrottaglie, Chiellini; Marchionni, Zanetti, Giannichedda, Nedved; Trezeguet, Bojinov

That's an upper/middle level Serie A team at worst.

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And yet, it's 1-1 with 20 minutes left. I don't like this. Even if Juve pulls it out, this is a real reminder that Serie B will not be a cakewalk this season. Never mind with a 17-point deficit.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Haha! Del Piero scores 10 seconds after entering the match. 2-1. :)