Juventus 2018/19 Serie A Season Thread for August [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Aug 14, 2018.

1. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Berna should be starting imo

2. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I hope Bernardeschi takes that spot. I believe he has a good chance of taking a starting role there.

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    To be honest Bernardeschi really reminds me a lot of Pogba. He might not be as good, but they have very similar playstyles.

4. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Hate to say it, but once again the 2 man midfield was a disaster.

juventino13 and Daei_10 repped this.
  5. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    What a bizarre game.

Sandro looks back to his form of 2 years ago.

6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You hitting the bath salts again?

phat repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Relax. It’s game one and IMO Dybala was pretty good. Not great or spectacular but he was good.

8. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its atrocious especially if 1 of them is Khedira

9. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because your opinion is ********ing garbage. Saying Allegri is shit is not only ignorant, its ********ing stupid, like you.

10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I am finally getting a moment to read all those posts as I was away yesterday. Holy shit! What overreaction! Allegri is a bad manager? Bernardeschi is the next coming of Bruno Conti? Dybala should be sold? CR7 should be regretting his decision to come to Juve? Really?

We dominated, but couldn't take our chances early. Chievo were fortunate enough to have a couple things go there way which is why it was a game in the first place. Otherwise we put on a show in the first half with some great possession and we were in complete control of the match.

Although Cuadrado and Dybala were off yesterday, we are fortunate enough to be able to bring on guys like Bernardeschi and Mandzukic who obviously made contributions of their own--and we got the win in the end, a deserved win.

That Ronaldo didn't score isn't an issue. You could see his quality. Chievo, to their credit, did a good job of marking him.

The one thing that concerns me is that we have two starting fullbacks that only have the ability to go forward. We will struggle if we play strong sides than Chievo where we can't control the game.

On to the next game.

calabrese8 and juveeer repped this.
  11. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    I didnt say he was shit, i have probaly said a dozen times that his flaw is his stubborn nature to ride and die with his favorties when there is a better option on the bench. Also the flaw comes in leaving guys who are gassed on the field and not making subs ever.

A good example of this was how often he used stuaro last year... in various positions, none of which he was effective at playing.

an objective view of this would be how he didnt rate Pirlo at Milan, who came here and had a complete revival helping Juve to earn success.

but you believe what you want, i dont expect you to meet me half way.

12. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I think the disallowed goal was fair. There’s no more dispute with VAR.

13. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter lost LUL!

gumbacicc and scirea6 repped this.
  14. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Magnani was impressive, especially considering it was his Serie A debut. Good in the air and brought the ball out of the defense well.

And I know, it's only one game. The real test will be the second part of this season and whether or not he's able to establish himself as a consistent starter. But if he does, then it certainly might indicate a bright future (at least potentially).

He was the one we signed last year from Siracusa in tandem with Perugia. I'd read that he was 26, but he's actually only 22. He was in Serie C, played for a 1/2 season in Serie B (this past January), and is now starting in Serie A. That's a rapid ascension, certainly.

We still have an option for him, and that could perhaps be a contributing factor in why we were so willing to relinquish Caldara. Though it does nothing to assuage my anger or diminish the foolishness of it all.

phat repped this.
  15. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    #165 soccerr9, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Chievo had two shots on target both of which came from set pieces (corner and PK). Beyond that, they hardly had possession or threatened. At one point in the first half Juve had 88% of the ball. From a technical point if view, you can't ask for more since the team connected in 90% of their passes. There will certainly be times were only having two CMs will expose Juve. This game really wasn't it. Pjanic was excellent and Khedira scored.

In big games, I doubt that Khedira-Pjanic can work without Mandzukic and Cuadrado covering.

Khedira is an attacking box-to-box, but isn't very good in ball recovery. With that said, the reason he starts is because he is a goal threat from midfield and has been for Stutgart and Juve. He can also pick out a final pass. What he is not is a defensive or possession mid. He will never control games and that isn't his style or role. Still at the end I expect him to score roughly 10 goals as he has.

ArtemioD and Dante repped this.
  16. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Having 80% doesn't mean shit tbh, Chievo is not a powerhouse. We play that midfield vs Real and we get overrun and destroyed.

Pjanic had a good first half, he wasn't excellent, he was good and only in the first half. Khedira scored, well then let's give him the balon d'or then :rolleyes: He was pretty mediocre the entire game. And yea, really smart to start with TWO midfielders neither of which can control the game

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classy from Giacch...

[​IMG]

juveeer, JuniorOcampos, phat and 2 others repped this.
  18. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dybala and Ronaldo are best friends, they are always together :ROFLMAO:

19. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Man U lost yesterday!!! Haha!!!
    Looks like Jose ass is about to get let go of lol!

20. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Pjanic attempted 104 passes and connected on 94. He had 3 key passes (2nd to Sandro) and 8 connected long balls.

Juve were in total control and he had s huge part to play in that.

As for Khedira, he continues to be a prolific box-to-box.

In terms of whether that duo is too risky to play vs Real, I agree. However in games where Juve are very superior, those two along with an extra attacker has proven to work very well. Chievo's center were not because of the midfield.

My guess is that Allegri will drop an attacker in favor of Matuidi/Can/Bentancur when he wants more cover in the center.

21. JuniorOcampos

JuniorOcampos New Member

Celtic
    Mexico
    Jul 16, 2018
    Did Pjanic sign a new contract?

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's expected to soon.

23. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pjanic has renewed until 2023 he'll be making 6.5m euros a year

24. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Not too thrilled about the extension. But let’s hope he plays well throughout the season.

25. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The problem with that system was shown though.

With the 2 FBs and 2 CMFs we are employing, we are vulnerable on the counter without that 3rd midfielder.

Most teams have an attacker as good as Giac Daddy, and he showed that if you run at Cancelo he will have trouble. Employing him along with the attack minded Brazilian FB on the left and the defense can be overrun very quickly on a counter attack.

If anything the World Cup showed that possession is not longer the sine qua non of attacking football - if you have a stout defense and a quick effective counter attack, possession teams can be had.

There are teams that are a lot better than the Flying Donkeys with this strategy and I just don't see how we won't have problems with them using a 2 man midfield, esp. with the 2 we used last weekend unless we go to MDS or even Barzag as a true RB.

Otherwise, if we intend to keep sing that approach, then we need to convert a much higher % of the chances we created than we did last weekend.