Juventus 19/20 Serie A Season Thread for September [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Falc, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Mandzukic could have been useful today. Just saying.

juventino13 repped this.
  2. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He played well, good thing he came off when he did

3. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Considering how our forwards never even touched the ball I doubt it. Wouldn't have mattered anyway since all our subs came down to injuries so he probably wouldn't have played

NickyViola repped this.
  4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re making excuses, with the players on this team it shouldn’t matter. Stop making excuses.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? Genuine question. I don’t see him replacing Douglas Costa so early in the game. Then the other two subs were because of injuries as well. Not sure he would have came on.

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Simple. Neither Ronaldo or Higuain were effective putting pressure against Fiorentina's back line. Neither were effective in helping to connect with the midfield. It is not Douglas Costa that I had in mind to replace.

7. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I didn't even notice Higuain was playing until he was arguing about the foul on Ceccherini right at the very end.

Don't know what Mandzukic would have done.

8. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Scored.

9. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is exactly what I mean. How many of the starters for Viola played for their country versus Juve?

Why exactly do we need international break in the third week of the season. It's completely insane. Make things worse the same week as a CL week.

juveeer repped this.
  10. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    international football is bigger then all of the domestic leagues combined... its not going anywhere... ever.

its so big that all of the domestic leagues will change their schedules to fit the 2022 world cup.

the players all rate playing for country over club as well... your country is for forever, a club is just a part time stay for almost all players.

Rosay repped this.
  11. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What does that have to do with the schedule?

The only mistake Sarri made was playing his starters in a game versus a mid to bottom tier team in a week they had international and CL matches. Been saying for a while how the bench should be playing as many Serie A and Coppa games as possible and I'm certain they would have got the same result or better minus the injuries.

juveeer and Falc repped this.
  12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Someone tell Sarri that making excuses are not part of the Juventus DNA.

Maurizio Sarri felt Juventus ought to be pleased with a draw against Fiorentina, because amid injuries “a team with less personality would’ve lost.”

“We didn’t put in a good quality performance, it was a very complicated situation, as Fiorentina played well and we used up all our substitutions with injuries and had no more fresh legs to introduce,” Sarri told Sky Sport Italia after a 0-0 draw.

“With all those variables, we did well in terms of character to get a point out of it. We lost possession too many times, which may also be a consequence of physical issues. Playing in mid-afternoon in Florence when it’s realistically still summer is tough for everyone.”

“When the team defends deeper, we need the forwards to come back and help more. We had difficulty on a purely technical level and I am confident a team with less personality would’ve lost. That is the positive and certainly a valuable quality to have a team that can fight it out for a point even when not in great shape.

“It was evident after 30 minutes that this was going to be extremely difficult.”
    Someone else I know would have been livid with today's lack of performance.

juveeer repped this.
  13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Then comes his player management after an international break and an upcoming CL fixture. Questioned about today's injuries ...

“Douglas Costa seems a slightly worse injury. Pjanic had a knock to the muscle during the week and it kept irritating him today, so we need more tests tomorrow.​

He makes an excuse that Rabiot has not played all year. He has been in training since his transfer. Keeping him on the bench is not going to make matter any better. But play Pjanic who took a knock while playing for Bosnia. Matuidi played for France. Ronaldo for Portugal. Pjanic already mentioned. Both de Ligt & Bonucci had international duty. We sure will see these guys in top shape against Atletico.

Blaise Matuidi was again picked instead of summer signing Adrien Rabiot and Sarri explained the complex fitness jigsaw puzzle he is putting together.

“Rabiot is a player of great quality, but he hasn’t played a single competitive game in 2019. He arrived with such determination and sharpness, but when you haven’t played for months, there’s going to be a physical blowback from that. He is a very sensitive guy and so that physical reaction was something he also suffered with psychologically.

“We had five players at the Copa America and eight on the treatment table, so we have half the squad at a more advanced fitness level than the rest. It was a difficult situation to deal with and we needed some time to get them all in to acceptable levels, but the good news is that we tend to finish games strong.

“We’re therefore lacking some sharpness, but the stamina remains.”​

juveeer and phat repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Fortunately for me I don't understand many of the more subtle points of the game, so I stick with first impressions and don't overthink the issues. Considering how many players were on the block last month and are still at the club, I believe that the team is a bit unsettled and hasn't found their rhythm yet. Today wasn't a disaster, the confidence will return. Long season ahead, I'll stick around

phat repped this.
  15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The scudetto is won by taking maximum points against sides like Fiorentina.

16. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You know why? Because of a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks whining about fouls on the internet.

How about we stfu, have patience, sit back watch the show and let people do their work.

I'm the first one ready to discuss the strategic and tactical aspect of the game, but having people complain and dismiss the team and players in week 3 is agrevating.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  17. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We've won the Scudetto 8 times in a row. There's a balance that will be required, the league is stronger and better prepared.

If I had a choice I would pick CL and top 4 in the league. From there work towards a trebel. A CL will make Juve much stronger than another Scudetto.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #118 Falc, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    You know all too well that some players should have been rested today for the CL match on Wednesday and others given a chance to prove themselves. Let's see what product we get Wednesday.

juveeer and phat repped this.
  19. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    the problem is the front office and what they have done to this team.

Moise Kean had a ratio of scoring one goal every other game, he probaly would have found the back of the net today.

For whatever reason, Paulo was on the bench today and Gonzalo got to play, Gonzalo is a has been, he will net the odd goal here and there, people can argue that he does this or that on the field, but a strikers job is to score goals.... something Gonzalo cant do consistently.

He should have been sold, but the team let him dictate his fate and now they are stuck... but he should have never been bought in the first place... Juve needed an elite midfielder when he was bought.

De light is not going to have the offensive prowess he showed at Ajax in this league, he may net a header on set pieces every so often, but Giorgio, Leo, Rugani have all done that in the past as well.

Khedira was to be pushed out in the summer, but the club let him dictate his own fate and now they are stuck with him, it can be argued that he does this or that, but an elite midfielder should be creating assists and scoring goals on a regular basis, especially against weak teams.

Juve bought Ronaldo and crafted the whole team towards him, if Juve do not win the CL this year(likely)... will he stay? is a guy with this huge ego going to let his legacy get stained by being the guy who faded away?

We dont know what Rabiot will bring to a game, maybe Can could have made a difference, maybe not... he had 4 goals and 1 assist last year.

20. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Jose Mourino was talking to the press shortly after being announced as United Coach in a presser. He was asked about what prospects and goals the club have for the upcoming season.

In it, he mentioned football iq, which he said was basically the kind of zeitgeist of the club, he spoke of the old glory days under Fergie and how that has turned into a slow decline and then a long winded time period of underachieving.

He spoke about how Real and Barca have rich legacies and that they have been mostly constant in their domination at home in the leagues and in europe competitions.

If we apply this to Juve, Juve for the past 5 years have a history of absolute dominance in Italy while being moderately good in the CL, with two seasons seeing the club get to the finals, there have also been early exits like with Bayern knocking them out in a period of 25 minutes and 3 unanswered goals.

its been a time period where Juve have employed the old schooled stout defense, find the net for a lead, and defend the lead alternating with a few games where they aim to just get a draw, and then be slightly more aggressive in the second league.

Its been a time period where players were used out of position, told to play in uncoventional ways, Maxs last year was the peak of this where he used a record 35 different line ups in Serie A and Allegri has used 185 different XIs in 190 Serie A games...

Ronaldo was bought to change that past, but it didnt work out, then Juve got Sarri to really get the most out of him, but they faced mutiny as several players would not leave, they chose a replacement center back instead of a much needed midfielder.

What really sucks is that if Juve never got Gonzalo and they didnt buy De Light, they could have bought Joao Felix... but every summer, a moderately good player is bought instead of holding out for an elite one, Ronaldo being the exception ofc.

Inter bought two italian midfielders this summer and they look very good, but home grown players are not considered to be good enough for Juve, who now prefer foreign starlets... the question is, is it based off potential or are the front office just trying to open up new markets for Juve merch by grabbing the big name guys of players from Brazil, Germany, Argentina,and France.

21. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Still don't understand how this correlates to the schedule. In any case I already said the mistake was the starting lineup considering the schedule. 3 injuries led to deviations from the game plan there's no use discussing it further.

juveeer repped this.
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then he wouldn’t have come in. The subs were made because of injuries, not tactical.

23. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    i misunderstood what you said, my bad.

I am guessing that perhaps since there is not much game tape of Sarri Ball working with Juve, that the manager figured he needed his starting 11 for CL to play another game together to prepare.

its the only thing that makes sense and it is logical, because Sarri ball is not manifesting with the top 11 and an early CL exit is basically guaranteed for him to be axed.

What i dont get is, we constantly see Berna tracking back and forth when he plays, he often commits many challenges in the defensive end, he really is the best right back on this team. He is pretty good at playing crosses into the box as well, he really could become a Zambrotta type player if he was used back there.

Whenever he takes a shot, its typically on target and a good stinging fast ball, but he does not have the finesse to put it in the top corner, near or far post. Bernadeschi should really be give a run at right back... he is pretty quick too, so he has good recovery if the opponent cuts on him.

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You can be dense. Mandzukic should have started today, not come in as a sub.

25. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    He wouldn't have touched the ball, either, as your side never seriously tried winning the ball or attacking...

Dante repped this.