Just don't get injured: The International Thread 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 12, 2016.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My hopes are that England don't embarrass themselves and give me some reason to be excited about them. Also, that Iran make it out of the group stage for the first time in their history.

The rest will just be rooting against teams I don't like. My lady and one of my best friends will be going gaga for Mexico (as usual) so I'll hold my nose and wish them the best...maybe.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gomez wins MOTM for England vs Brazil. Excellent display by the lad at CB. :)

Wingtips1 and jeffcoop repped this.
  3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fear the beard! ;)

[​IMG]

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  4. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Putin be banning anyone potentially gay players from participating in Russia?

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Iran? Really?
    I hope they're beaten 11-0 in all three of their matches.

Familiar connection to England means I'll support them.
    Sweden and Denmark will be supported as I have blood ties to them.
    I've always like the Croats, too - love their check kits.
    Of the favorites I'll root for France over Arg/Brz/Belg/Germ as I have blood ties there, too.

But overall I just hope for good football and lots of entertainment value - few parked buses, lots of goals.
    Would love to see an African team make a run to the semis or final.

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't really blame some of Iranian heritage to root for the team to be fair.

burning247 repped this.
  8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, where did this anger come from?

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No anger - just good friendly nationalistic rivalry!
    Still haven't gotten over the loss in '98...

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont know how you can root for anybody but your home country

11. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When your home country is not good enough to make the WC - it becomes easier to root for someone else...

12. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've liked The Nederlands since they lost in '74 and '78. if Cruyff had gone to Argentina, i think Holland would have won the cup.

13. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always rooted for the Netherlands - don't know why exactly - until recently they've always had such great players for a small country. David v Goliath thing I suppose...so now I don't have a team to root for in the WC! :)

14. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uruguay has had great players as well and they are significantly smaller than the Netherlands and I'd you are looking for underdogs you can't go wrong with Iceland

Sent from my LON-L29 using BigSoccer mobile app

imasyko repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the awesome orange color.

16. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only just for this...

best fan support thing going...

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair enough. That was a weird game to watch. Still had a lot of love for the USMNT back then and had my Iranian family in town watching it at our house. Sad that that's their only win in the World Cup to this date. They look really mature this cycle and I'm hoping they get a good draw to put it all together finally.

Well, I sort of agree with you but it's hard when you're from one country but your parents (or grandparents) are from another. I think you really just root for one team above all but also others on the side. For me that's England, even though I wasn't born there or lived there. I've said it multiple times on here but I don't take the international game as serious as the club game. No team will hold a candle to the love I have for Liverpool and Dallas.

It is a fun distraction during the summer though and there's nothing quite like a good World Cup.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I enjoy a lot of the WC games since I don't have a huge attachment to any one country.

Although I grew up in England, I follow England more than others mostly because I'm most familiar with the Prem players, but it's very enjoyable to watch and appreciate great footie from other teams - technical skills, organization, strategy, player/fan passion, whatever. And usually there is at least one player who plays in the Prem you can recognize.

Actually I believe the current England squad has not one player who plays for a club in a different country, which I think may make them unique. I found this from the last WC. Only one England player played abroad - the goalie Forster from Celtic (not involved this time). England is the country where the biggest number (114) of foreign WC players made their living (next highest was Italy at 81).

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...p-footballers-play-during-the-regular-season/

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How exactly would this be transmitted to a referee without the risk of said referee blowing the whistle for a big press payday??

I don't think it washes....

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Few teams can hold an upside down candle for how much I hate the Dallas Cowboys (and the Seattle Seahawks) .... but each to his own.

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I used to like England when they had a good/great team - late 80's thru around 2000 or so .... Could have won the WC in 90 and the Euros in 96 ... after that (other than watching the brilliance of Stevie G and Rooney I kind of lost interest in the engurland set-up and the constant press nonsense which attaches about them.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FOCUS! We're talking about association football! Yes, we're (the people of the DFW metroplex) aware that everyone hates the Dallas Cowboys. Yes, I have no illusions that I wouldn't hate them too if I wasn't from here. :)

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Ah - I see.... the Dallas soccer team .....
    that's the equivalent of say, Punk Anderson or Gary Ewing in comparison to Larry Hagman or Victoria Principal (the NFC Cowboys)... ;)

But this brings up another salient point: To wit - you can actually watch MLS??? jeez..... I'd nearly prefer to watch my toenails growing or Trump typing into his phone or a discussion on theoretical economics.... ;)

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Iran's chances will depend on the group they maybe luck into, them and serbia will be good sides from that pot 4 - maybe morocco or nigeria too ....

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Savage.

Yes. I don't watch it because it has amazing quality (although it has gotten a lot better in the last 10 years). I watch it because I have a local team I can support and one that I have supported since 1996. Nothing like actually being at a game. Something I've only been able to do with Liverpool twice (only once in a competitive game).