Alert: Jurgen Klinnsmann to reveal roster for January Friendlies (Camp Cupcake)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DynamoEAR, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    I didn't catch all of his comments, but one thing Jurgen said is that he has been impressed with Sean Johnson.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Like with earlier coaches, the focus for the January camp seems to be fitness (as it's the off-season for these guys) and education/introctrination (as these tend to be the younger guys in their first few call-ups). Which all makes sense, generally-speaking.

4. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. USGalaxyFAN

USGalaxyFAN New Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    does anyone plan on attending the scrimmage tomorrow? does anyone know what time it will take place?

6. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any possibility that there would be a steam for this? :)

7. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot, there's barely an outlet for the games. :(

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In a story about Jeff Parke's first callup, there are some camp notes concerning injuries:

Forward Teal Bunbury received treatment on Tuesday for a right ankle injury he suffered during Monday's intersquad scrimmage. The injury, fortunately, is a minor one.

"I'm feeling good, I'll be back tomorrow," Bunbury said on Tuesday. "It's nothing serious. Just trying to be cautious. I'll be back [Wednesday] and I'm excited about that. It was just a little knock. I was able to work out today on the bike and do things like that."

Midfielder Kyle Beckerman, meanwhile, has been limited so far during camp with an undisclosed injury. The Real Salt Lake captain has been able to stretch and run with the team but hasn't participated in any scrimmage-type sessions since the team began practicing at the Reach 11 Sports Complex soccer fields last weekend.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/11/parke-overjoyed-get-national-team-call-long-last

If Beckerman can't overcome this injury in time, that takes away one of the only apparent locks for Klinsmann's starting XI.

9. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - Klinsmann Adds Jermaine Jones to January Camp Roster

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    making the best of an unfortunate situation. nice of the Schalke coach to let the player go to the US camp and be available for these friendlies.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  12. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, but not unselfish. This way, jones will be playing in 3 competitive games( two friendlies plus the scrimmage against the U23s on the 17th) while he's suspended. Also, he will come back with match fitness assuming the senior team continues the workouts they've been doing.

13. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I don't have a problem with it, but I don't really understand what the point of this is. What is the difference between practicing and playing friendlies with his club team versus friendlies with the US?

14. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bundesliga starts up before this camp ends, which means he will get more meaningful games at this camp.

15. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    He's also suspended from club friendlies. No club games at all for 8 weeks.

16. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when he plays with the US team he gets acclimated to what the US does on the field, allowing him to build chemistry and timing with his US team mates. That certainly won't happen in a BL team shirt. It also will keep him in shape which is good for the BL team since he is barred from playing. Win Win for both sides.

17. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    As far as I know, he is banned from playing, not practicing. So effectively, he will get to play in two US friendlies with B/C squad players instead of practicing with his club. I suppose there is some merit to it, but I don't see coming over to play with the US for a week as something that is too critical. Other than that he gets to enjoy a nice vacation and warm weather. He will still have a long time to sit out after the US camp is over.

18. AmeriMex

AmeriMex Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Orange County, Calif
    International friendly's > Club practices for a tenured player to stay sharp.
    I called this earlier when the suspension happened, (as I polish my crystal ball). Smart move by both coaches and in this one area Klinsman has it over any other Nat coach. Only Klinsman could pick up the phone and talk sense to a German coach without having to figure a way to approach the conversation.

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Exactly. He can't even play in club friendlies, and his club coach would have to assign him to the C- or D-group in practice to focus on the available players. Nothing better than actual games for him now; and maybe it helps to improve his personality to be the experienced guy among young players.
    (A role he doesn't have at Schalke. He's experienced, but not a guy to lead other players.)

20. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Huub is Dutch, but - well, yes. ;)

21. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    How will he keep in shape when the US camp is over and has to go back to Germany? I think the whole "staying in shape" thing is overrated. He'll only be in the US for 10 days.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't care either way, but why can he play in these games for the US? When Rico Clark (rightly and deservingly) stomped on Carlos Ruiz and was suspended several years ago, there was some strong-arming that kept him out of a US camp until the suspension was up.

1 person likes this.
  23. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Better to have 2 games in 10 weeks than no games in ten weeks.

24. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Meh, I suppose. Doubt it'll play much of a role in his overall match fitness by the time his suspension is up.

25. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but he will also be training not standing around?? Fitness is much easier to maintain than attain.