Junior Flores at Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by tab5g, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    DC_Dave repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I really can't understand the decisions he's making with his club career.

He should've gotten out of Dortmund a few years ago. No later than this summer when his contract was up, yet he renewed, and he still doesn't play.

Can he really be getting paid more than he would've on an MLS contract? Even if he had to start with an MLS team's reserve team, I don't know why that wouldn't be better to not playing at all.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #929 ussoccer97531, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    I don't see how anyone could defend this move, unless its money related, in which case its hard to fault a player for picking money over development, its their choice, not ours, but how much could they pay in the 4th division of Germany?

And just to update, the initial 4-6 week report was correct, Goff was wrong in what he stated (3 months), I don't know where he got it from. He was back playing in test matches at the beginning of September. This thread doesn't get updated because there's nothing to update, they rarely even put him on the bench, usually only in friendlies.

Winoman, BostonRed and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they? Or do they just know they need some relatively cheap roster filler for their reserve team in the Regionalliga and Flores happens to be around? Do you really think that he's been used by BVB in a way that suggests they value him and think he might help their first team some day?

In 2015/16 he played 243 minutes for BVB II. Three starts, 11 sub appearances, 18 times unused on the bench.

In 2016/17, he was an unused sub for BVB II 13 times. He missed most of September - January with an injury, but didn't play a single minute while available.

In 2017/18, he's been injured and hasn't played in any real games yet.

Flores has had injuries, but when he's been healthy, he's been a rarely used backup for the reserve team. Anything can happen, I guess, but hoping out hope that he'll make the first team at this club is, let's say, optimistic.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and a fair amount more. From what I've seen, BVB U19's make in the neighborhood of 250K/Y. Compare that to Lletget who when he came and signed for LA got about 100K.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that elite U19s who actually have a decent chance of making it or all U19s?

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Trucha and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herber? Now we know why he goes by "Junior." Yikes.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could he get an MLS loan?

11. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is a legitimate, professional, first division (with regards to level of play).

USL would be more appropriate.

12. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    BVB 2 would be fine if he ever actually played!!!

13. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Started on the bench today for Dortmund II in a 1 - 2 loss to Fortuna Koln - looking to see if he played....

UnitedBorn, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. DrakeSC

DrakeSC Member

Aug 28, 2017

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm unwatching this thread. I'm sure the next time I'll see his name, it will be in the former ynt player thread.

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    heartbreaking story, but maybe its the eternal optimist in me that feels like noting a huge number of successful athletes seemed to have hard luck almost successful athletes as parents. its a long game and no matter what junior has seen things in soccer that should allow him to help others get more out of their talent.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s still only 21. Lletget disappeared for 6 years before resurfacing in LA when he was 23. If he can get back to health and get out of Dortmund, I still think he can at least have a successful career. He has to get out of Dortmund tho. It’s obvious it’s just not going to happen there.

18. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

He is just too slow..... it's always been his problem.

19. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Gacm32 repped this.
  20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are guys who have successful careers who are slow as snails. I don’t mean he’s going to be a star or anything, but getting somewhat regular minutes as a reserve in a lower league for 8 years is better than sitting on the Dortmund II bench for a few years and never playing professionally again. I think it’s time he accepted who he is.

21. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I am in agreement, I am curious as to where the financials play into it..... I mean $250,000/ year is a top 5% income in the United States. If he views the game as an to provide for his current and future family then he is actually making the right move.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've found two reports (in German, from earlier this month) saying Flores won't be back with Dortmund II.

https://www.transfermarkt.de/torhut...rlassen-borussia-dortmund-ii/view/news/307974

http://www.reviersport.de/372540---bvb-ii-7-mann-gehen-siewert-lehnt-zweitliga-angebot-ab.html

They might be the same report, cross-posted and/or aggregated, and they don't appear to list a source. I haven't been able to easily confirm from an official outlet. Still, they are pretty specific (they name 7 players in the same situation) and the result doesn't seem surprising. His contract was up.

Donny10 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  23. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His next move should be somewhere in Europe. Stylistically he does not fit well in MLS and he is still in his growing years. Let's hope the Dutch league or scandia come a calling.

Winoman repped this.
  24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It fits Barco, Kaku, Almiron, Valeri, Piatti, Giovinco, Vela, etc. but not Junior? Sure :rolleyes:

Wherever he ends up, he just needs to play 1st team minutes.

bballshawn repped this.
  25. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All of the players you mentioned have pace. It's something that Junior lacks and MLS is not a style of play that bodes well for attacking talent without pace.

Gorky repped this.