Junior Flores at Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by tab5g, Oct 4, 2012.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...4/junior-flores-signs-with-borussia-dortmund/

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him, let's see if he can do what Boyd couldn't and maybe make the first team. However that is a ways away so hopefully he can just continue to get better.

3. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for him, once he makes it to the reserves, he'll be coached by an American too.

4. jhw1

jhw1 Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This is very good news. I remember some folks mentioning during the Nike U-17 tournament last winter that there were concerns about his potential physical development. Presumably a club like Borussia Dortmund has done their due diligence, and they still decided to sink a lot of money into him.

5. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'd take a lack of physical development in a youth with a huge grain of salt...they learned that hard lesson when their youth coach at the time cut Marco Reus because he was perceived as too diminutive to make it with them...long story short hes developed into quite the player and Borussia Dortmund bought him back for 17 million Euros...

Gorky and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm glad the speculation is over, now if we can just keep him away from the hype machine for a few years...

Real Corona and Gorky repped this.
  7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow- very happy for Junior. This is a great opportunity but, like INKRO says, there's a loooooooong way to go yet. Hopefully he makes it.

8. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I had the opportunity to meet him during Summer break this year and he is a pretty solid looking dude. He has muscular shoulders and its apparent that he's been hitting the gym. Looked to be a bit under 5'7' , but he's only 16 and as far as i can tell he shouldn't have any issues moving up as he gets older.
    Also, he was extremely polite and is the tpe of person you can't help but root for.

LouisZ and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    His build will be fine.

I think it's safe to say Dortmund isn't signing him so they can convert him to a centerback.

I really do think Germany is going to become more and more of a destination for youngsters like Flores. They do have some foreign player quotas in their academies. I forgot what the number was.................but they have a clause that says "X% of players in each academy level have to be Germany-eligible."

I'm sure a German fan will correct me.

10. yuyofutbol

yuyofutbol BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 19, 2011
    Stuttgart, Germany
    They require 12 players DFB( National Team) elegible in each team roster for the following age groups U-16 thru U-19.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Congrats to Junior. Still holding out for that Yank that finally breaks through at Dortmund!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he has some advisers telling him how to spend(save) that nike money.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cautionary tale for young Junior:
    [​IMG]

soccerusa517 repped this.
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I would not recommend hiring Terrell Owens' financial adviser ... which, I think, is the guy on the left.

15. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can somebody explain to me why he can't go into their academy right now or doesn't want to? I remember Gyau went to Germany at 16 or 17 right?

16. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He signed a pre-contract and trained with the Vancouver Whitecaps until he turned 18

17. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why do I think he was in Germany prior to his 18th birthday? Charles Renken who is younger than him came with him as well.

18. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canouse is over there right now as well.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over under on how soon we hear, "I hear he's close to breaking into the first team."

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  20. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 years after he leaves in 2014 would be my best guess.

21. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    ... and that was even a steal, due to a buyout-clause. His true value would have been somethng like 30M. They were lucky that he wasn't offended by his earlier dropout, but preferred to go back to his home town club among the probably dozen offers for that prize.

I've never heard of anything like that, and I'm 99% sure you're wrong. It doesn't make any sense anyway. German clubs have something like 10 to maybe 30 or whatever residency spots for the 5 age groups from U15 to U19, and the core of the teams still consists of players from within an hour drive distance. You don't need a foreign player quota when you have a natural limit of maybe 4 new residency players every year; including German players from more than 40 miles away.

However, Dortmund officials don't really want to talk about a done deal, though they somehow acknowledge that Flores will join them; I think they're still not sure about the details of the "no transfers of kids" FIFA laws. They probably signed some kind of agreement, Dortmund want the kid, he wants to go to Dortmund, but they have to find out how to do it best.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canouse's dad works for a German software company (and has for many years). His primary reason for being there (probably) isn't for soccer.

23. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Every kid living in Germany can play soccer of course. There's been the term "Fußball-Deutscher" in the past, I'm not sure if it still has any meaning in today's laws; a "Fußball-Deutscher" ("Soccer-German") is/was everybody who played youth soccer in Germany as a resident for at least 2 or 3(?)years. These players are treated like Germans by the DFB. Fighting soccer slavery for African kids is one thing; but local "Africans" and others have to be able to play of course.
    It doesn't have any meaning in pro soccer anyway; but you can't buy Burkina Faso's national team to play at the Oberliga, because the players won't get a license. A Burkina Faso native who grew up in Germany could play there of course, being "soccer-naturalized" as a Fußballdeutscher.

24. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Players can go to other countries before 18 only if their parents or legal guardians go too, at least that's my understanding. They made this a rule in the last 5 years as I remember.

25. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would this be the Landon Donovan rule?

Also kirovski started the year Dortmund won the c. League.