Jungle Drums Ad Racist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Soccernova78, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    I haven't heard this ad so I can't make a judgement. But after the whole "Don't Vote For Harold Ford Because He'll Sleep With White Women" commercial none of the possible motivations behind many of these ads wouldn't surprise me.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I haven't heard it but I wouldn't be surprised. The first ad was completely racist.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  4. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
  5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Both ads are disgusting.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like music you'd hear in Lord of the Rings, with the drums beating in anticipation of something bad happening. You can hear the drums better right in the beginning. When I think of "jungle drums" it's something completely different.

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Agreed, I didn't even notice the drums except in the first two seconds or so

8. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Don't know, leaning against this being some sort of jungle drums thing.

Though it's stupid anyway. On what planet is a Penn education a bad thing? WTF?

9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The south.

The bimbo ad is even more of a disgrace.

10. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    CHUG
    CHUG
    CHUG
    CHUG
    aaaaawwww
    fine, we'll lose the slaves..but we don't have to read books!

11. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The NY Times has an interesting article about the bimbo ad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/26/us/politics/26tennessee.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The article includes a great line from Harold Ford Jr., "You know your opponent is scared when his main opposition against you is, ‘My opponent likes girls.’ ” :D

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harold is funny. I saw an ad of his recently where he mentioned that "If I had a dog, he'd [my opponent] probably kick him too."

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes the floozy ad worse than even the Jesse Helms-Harvey Gantt "hands" ad is that affirmative action is a legitimate political issue. Sure, Helms addressed the issue in a totally racist way, but at least he was attacking Gantt on an issue. He wasn't attacking Gantt for the mere fact of him being black.

The floozy ad attacks Ford for being black. That's its racist appeal, it's totally personal, not political.

Having had time to think about it, IMO, it's the worst political TV ad I'm aware of.

I put in the "TV" qualifier just so I don't have to make a judgment about Vernon Robinson's "attack" on Brad Miller for marrying a woman who had a hysterectomy and for writing a few items for a blog run by a married father who happens to live near San Francisco. He tried to imply that Esther is Brad's beard and, I guess, that Kos' wife is HIS beard, and the whole child thing is a put on, and Brad and Kos are gay lovers.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    See, all those closet gays secretly working as Republicans are beggining to make a difference. :D