June friendlies against Japan

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, May 18, 2016.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So Franch, Lavelle, Rampone, Lewandowski plus usual suspects

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    NWSL by Team

Portland - Franch, Heath, Sonnett, Horan, Long, Klingenberg
    Seattle - Solo
    Kansas City - Sauerbrunn, O'Reilly
    Orlando - Morgan, Harris
    Chicago - Naeher, Press, Johnston
    SkyBlue - Rampone, O'Hara
    Houston - Brian
    Washington - Krieger, Dunn
    WNY - Mewis, Hinkle
    Boston - Engen

Not effecting the League - Lewandowski, Lavelle, Pugh

Portland donates six...wow

4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Lloyds injury worse than we thought?

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Theyre not going to take any chance with her coming back too soon.

RockyTopFan repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Really hoping we get to see Rose play, she can't match Japan's technical ability...let's watch them go at it.

also nice to see Jill giving Lewando another shot...although we haven't had much opportunity to see her play, she competes with the best in Germany.

Let's also give Naeher the start...backups need some more experience.

I wouldn't mind seeing a midfield of:
    Brian, Rose in center with Heath and Dunn on the wing. Dunn's been passing well/assisting in NWSL play.
    Morgan and Press up top...

wait, i forgot about Pugh.....too many options.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Id be surprised if u see Lavelle because CM is still a spot Ellis is sorting out. I guess with Lloyd out u might get a cameo tho

8. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Seems like a younger squad for Japan

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Amazing that Japan didn't make the Olympics,and it apparently wasn't even close. The article I read described them being out of contention with a game left to play. Their attractive style of play and excellent sportsmanship will be missed in the Olympics.

blissett, Semblance17 and mamalia repped this.
  11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh if I had a nickel for the times prematch that I tried to pick my starting lineup......then realized, oh wait thats 13. :D
    Given the recent play of the newcomers (that I would rate from borderline spectacular to pretty darn good) am getting spoiled and want to see more new blood....but I still want to see the veterans...UUUUuuuuuurrrrrrgghhhh. D*MN IT, NEW RULE....we get to play with 13.

And I've held off long enough.....308 hours 21 minutes to Kick in Commerce City.

12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Since Boxx, it seems that a ball winning destroyer type holding midfielder (6) has fallen out of favor. Horan may be big and strong, but not sure she is mobile enough. I would like to see Brain as the 8 and Lavelle as a creative 10. I would really like to see the US find a creative 10 because I personally enjoy watching exciting creative players performing unexpected feats of magic. Her physicality is a bit of a concern. I think she is pretty slight. Her height is less of a problem for me since Dunn, Pugh, and Kling seem to be able to manage. Not sure Lavelle is ready yet, but I like her as an option because Japan won't be as physical as many teams they will face. If she can't get it done against Japan, I fear she won't be able to against Germany, France etc...

13. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to say Horan has arrived, but in watching the Thorns games lately, she has clearly improved in the mobility department.

Semblance17 and RockyTopFan repped this.
  14. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Christie Rampone has declined her invitation for camp and these friendlies. She said that she is not physically up to the demands of competing in camp or in these friendlies and that she is going to focus on Sky Blue, for now. No new call--up will be made to fill her spot.

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds like sayonara and a gold watch for Christie. Maybe she'll be the Sky Blue coach next year?

16. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, very interesting and somewhat of a surprise. I thought she was hanging in there for one last Olympics appearance. Sorry to see her go (if, indeed, she is going), but time waits for no one. Thanks, Christie!

17. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mannnnnn, I hear ya.
    - Not the fastest
    - Doesn't jump the highest
    - Not the quickest
    But she always seems to totally control the action in the 5 yard radius around her.