June 6: USWNT v Japan -- roster, pre/during/post [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Jun 3, 2004.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  2. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Yeah, but the Siri fans will still be unhappy... Guess this means Hope Solo goes back to Sweeden.

Looks like the last 2 rosters, so I think it is safe to say that the majority of the roster goes to Athens

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, of course, is only if Mac gets to start or at least play most of the game. I can remember a game earlier this year where she started warming up around the 60 minute mark and never got into the game.

I guess that this lineup might also mean that O'Reilly has a lessening chance of making the Oly team...

4. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, it is beginning to look like that. But -- a big but (with one tee... or maybe two) as April has proven before! -- we cannot forget that our fearless ladies still have 3 Int'l friendliess between the Japan match and Athens with which April gets to keep us guessing, unless of course the upcoming rosters continue to look like the Japan one.

Schedule (from ussoccer.com)
    Date Opponent Venue; City Kickoff (Local) / TV
    June 6 Japan Cardinal Stadium; Louisville, Ky. 4 p.m. ET / ESPN2
    July 3 Canada The Coliseum; Nashville, Tenn. 7 p.m. CT / ESPN
    July 21 Australia National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn. 6 p.m. CT / ESPN2
    Aug. 1 China Rentschler Field; Hartford, Conn. 3 p.m. ET / ESPN2

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Very good roster, IMO. This kind of confirms at least 75% of the Oly roster has been decided. The remaining bubble players look like Mac, O'Reilly, Chalupny, Wagner. Woulda liked to see Heather O instead of Wagner, but Ape doesn't seem to impressed with her right now. Like Tsunami said, Mac needs to get at least a half in, preferably more. She needs a chance to show that she is fully recovered and can contribute for more than 30 minutes at the end of a game. Would like to see her and Abby up front, with Mia as the attacking middie.

Doesn't look to good for Siri.....again, a mistake I think.

Good to see Joy back to 100%, from what ussoccer said. Interesting to see if she looks shaky or tentative at all.

6. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Can someone refresh me (or point me to a link) describing a historical relationship between Wagner and April? I'm wondering how exactly it was that Aly earned a spot in April's heart -- I mean, it seems to be a general consensus (on these boards at least) that there are other players more worthy of a roster spot.

7. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    It's true that there are three friendlies left, but it's not true that they have time.

The final roster is supposed to be chosen in early July, I think. It might even be late June.

So I would bet that the final two friendlies are with the final 18.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 18 we're looking at for this match isn't the 18 we're looking at in Athens.

8. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Fawcett fans should be even happier, if she really is fully recovered.

So should team fans in general. As great a player as MacMillan is, Fawcett is the most underrated and underappreciated player on the team (and one of its most important).

9. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Joy is most certainly the most underrated player on the team. I hope those magical recouperative powers of hers kicked in. We need her.

I wish some sports writer would have the balls to ask April point blank why Luckenbil is even in consideration. Any way you paint it Siri is the better keeper.

10. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    The people at the PTP boards are saying Siri reinjured her shoulder two weeks ago.

Anybody know if its true?

11. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    So what has happened with Heather O'Reilly? Anyone know? Wasn't she all set to make the team before she was hurt? (Sorry is this has already been discussed!)

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    It was pretty much a courtesy call anyway for Solo; I'd put her as the alternate OG goalie, based on her strong Swedish League performances. But Luckenbill? Good thing France isn't in the tournament, since Pichon owned Lucks and then some when WUSA was in session.

Paul

13. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    She fell out of favor with the coaching staff. I think that's the majority of it.

Having to choose between Hamm, Wambach, Parlow, MacMillan, Welsh, and O'Reilly also adds to the decision.

14. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

i like this roster, half of them are first timer with the national team

15. j&bontherock

ok since macmillan made the team, we now start O'Reilly thread to why she didn't make it

16. j&bontherock

it's mainly because Wagner is a great midfielder thats all....

17. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Mac is on the bubble, no more, no less. Same goes for O'Reilly.

18. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Still NO TR :(

I don't like the Lucks thing, too many internationals have seen her good and bad, plus there is the experience thing.

O'Reilly is a pure striker without the Height of Abby.
    She is pure skill and speed (Think Millie, only quicker)
    April does not want one dementional players on the team...

But I wish she would release her so I can see her play live with Kelly Smith and Marinette Pichon :) (YES, I am thinking of myself) Especially since she will not make the final roster.

Think about how she will terrorize the college ranks even more after learning from Pichon and Smith....

I won't be able to see the game at all, because I will be seeing Pichon, Smith and Makinen play

19. j&bontherock

Tiffany Robert is good off the field, she is funny and friendly....

20. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm a little surprised Chalupny is out and Wagner is still there. And I guess I'm surprised Mac is there. I thought O'Reilly was in: Mac had lost a step, go with the youngsters etc. I still think Mac has to do something great in this game to convince April she should be in Athens. But I'm guessing she will just get to play the last 20 min. (again) and not really have a chance. Her roster spot is still (and seems always has been) up for grabs. O'Reilly isn't out of it.
    Anyway, I think Japan will be a good test/match--they could beat us. But just for fun I'll say; US 3 JP 1.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Sawa is out with a knee injury. That will hurt Japan.

If what M9 said about Siri's shoulder is true, the Lucks selection makes more sense. Either way, if Lucks is close to the no. 2, she's gotta play (I'd hope start...) in this game. While I am suprised that she seems to have beaten out Siri (in April's mind, anyway), Luckenbill was underated her entire WUSA career. I'd still take a healthy Siri but I won't panic about it--unless April doesn't get her onto the field before the Olympics.

There are only 5 players listed as midfielders. I know we all think both Mac and CP can (and maybe should) play midfield. However, when was the last time we saw April put CP in the midfield? I don't remember it happening during the WWC and not since but maybe I missed it. I'm a bit worried that we'll end up being thin in the middle, again. Especially if Wagner can't get her game together.

22. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I totally agree. If indeed Siri is injured AND Lucks has proven herself, as reports have indicated, then I'd like to see her get a full game of Int'l experience worked into her gloves. Give her a game, maybe two, and then resort back to Bri to keep the starting team together and out on the field as much as possible while utilizing subs at will to blend in the experience and help those not deemed starters to continue to gel.

23. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Mullinix isn't hurt. She's been practicing every day with the team.

24. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Hey you know what? I never saw Siri chicken out of a 1v1.
    Too bad i can't say the same thing for Luckenbil. :rolleyes:

25. j&bontherock

how about that Hooper's goal that sent Beat to the championship in 2002 ?