June 22/16 against the Irish. The leprechauns will be caught.

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Rosay, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Will Conte start Pelle?

1. Yes because he has started every other game

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No because he didn't play well against the Swedes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes because he fits Conte's system

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No because he's "injured"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What a joke lol

2. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly dude! :thumbsup:

3. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Star-Lord repped this.
  4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We're bound to get some upsets in this KO round

5. Star-Lord

Star-Lord Member+

Aug 10, 2014
    Uranus
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What a joke. Granted no one thought Spain would get second. This seems set up to give France the best shot at winning if they make the final. Predicting Belgium vs Germany final

6. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    unless germany shits the bed while we also slip by spain?....then yeah

look at the caliber of teams we would potentially have to play if we manage to pass spain?

like @indestructible said...there are bound to be upsets

so let's focus first on spain and see how it goes from there

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more like they were giving Spain/Croatia the best shot at winning it. France still has a harder route facing England and one of Germany/Spain/Italy

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She don't give a shit about footy

9. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm not one to normally pass on a Conte roasting, but this game was never going to be pretty anyway. Italy didn't need to win. Players will only dig down deep so far when they know it doesn't matter. I expected 0-0 regardless of who played. Ireland ended up with a late goal...good for them. Wake me up when we play Spain.

10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Garbage. For a lot of these players this match was the most important match for Italy they've ever played. It was their best opportunity to stake a claim on a place in the first XI. Fact is a number of these players just aren't good enough and this result (Insigne aside) justifies Conte's preferred selections.

Rosay and forza_azzurri repped this.
  11. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Relax guys, today was an experimental side playing conte wanted most likely to see how the dynamic played out besides we already qualified and no need to play full out, it was important to have the team apply themselves and understand each other better on the field playing a team.

Spain will be a different game and definitely a different Italia... Its do or die!

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The match against Spain is definitely a new beginning with a completely different team and we can look forward positively towards it. BUT ... I think its virtually impossible for us to think we can win this comp. with the lack of depth on display in this squad.

13. dnesH

dnesH Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I said it once and i am going to say it again.This is the worst Italy team i have ever seen in my life.We practically have no upcoming talent.Our young players are all hype.

Against Spain,we cant play like Croatia because we dont have midfielders who can pass the ball around.We have to depend on Candreva.For the past 4-5 years he has been our most consistent performer and i cant get the hate he is getting....

14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Candreva haters have gone into hiding.

Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why? Spain is not our problem. Neither is Germany or France. We have met the enemy and they are ours!

el napulitan and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  16. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think we have a lot of players who have the potential to be great. They just need to realize it, Berrardi, Rugani, Romagnoli and Donnarumma need to come clutttcchhhhhhh. I think these 4 can actually become world class players.

Candreva is not ********ing world class he's a good player who hustles, end of story.

JCNapoli17, Napoli_bck, Rosay and 2 others repped this.
  17. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Oh you'll be woken up alright. it'll probably be 2-0 though before you know it.

18. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Who wanted Immobile on the team? And who thinks Zaza is better than Gabbiadini? No one but you was excited for Ogbonna? Explain that one. Who exactly was happy to see Sturaro make it over a bunch of better options left home? And didn't most of this board want Donnarumma over a benched Sirigu at PSG? Were you asleep when every single poster on this site was pissed that Motta made the squad over Jorginho? And did you watch Fiorentina this year? While Bernardeschi did fine as an inverted wingback, he was clearly better as a winger later in the season. This was proven multiple times in Europa League, and then the last third of the season where he was played there and impressed the whole country (including Conte).

After that, Barzagli, Bonucci, and Florenzi are all first team players. How does this prove Conte selected the right players when he left many better players at home or is now playing them out of position. And how does that explain Insigne's absence most of this tournament? Work harder on your trolling....

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pretty much describes Conte's selections.

20. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    love your optimism Falc

but seriously I think people are under rating us based on the last 2 performances and are also doing so out of context

after beating Belgium , the best squad , in a rather good performance there was going to be a let down as at that point we had 3 pts and were on top of the group.

against Sweden that match had draw written all over it. except for a few chances here and there , as 4 pts assures you of a KO spot, that match was heading for a draw. Italy was able to cash in at the end and make it 6 pts so even better !...but they were not going for the win

against Ireland I would have preferred to no lose but let's be real....that match was a glorified friendly after we had secured winning the group

against Spain defensive cohesion and unity is a must and as long as we don't turn the ball over stupidly and pass the ball well both in general possession and on the counter I think we should be in good shape.

it should be a good match

Rosay repped this.
  21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I am not sure labeling me optimistic fits in this circumstance. Actually a realist is a better description. We have a group of hard working players. No one fits that fantasista type we were accustomed for as long as I can remember. This is Conte's style. Defensively, we are very difficult to beat. But we are not infallible. We lack in midfield and our strikers are adequate at best. So we have the ability to grind it out. But as we saw today, everything needs to fall in place.

el napulitan repped this.
  22. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Who has been knocking Candreva?? He's clearly been Italy's best player going forward this tournament.

I agree 100%. Candreva is an above average player, but not world class or a superstar.

I never thought Italy were going to win this tournament, so if they lose I won't be shocked. But I want to see it happen with Italy's actual first choice defenders/holding midfielder/goalkeeper. Up front we have nothing but Candreva in Conte's preferred 11, but that defense can shut anyone down on a good night or two.

23. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Falc

yes exactly....but there is some optimism in saying in the enemy is ours lol. I get it though. The realist in you is saying there is no reason why we can't match the teams you mentioned.

I wouldn't put much stock in everything not falling into place today and not being able to grind this one out against Ireland.

like I said....glorified friendly...8 subs starting

I would have been ok with a 0-0 draw to be honest.....there was a brain fart and Ireland scored in a match they were desperate in, while Italy is already focusing on the next match. That was it in my book.

Spain will be the true measurement ....both for Italy and Conte

Looking forward to it.

24. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I thought with being an admirer of Conte genius methods you would khow he does not waste time with such peasantry statistics and sticks with rugby style statistics to match his style of play.

JCNapoli17 repped this.
  25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    us?