June 2019 Democratic Primary Debates - pre game/pbp/post game thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that can be very good.

I am still with her (out of the big 3), but she may be the front runner, or at least she is the legit #2 to Biden, so the questions are going to come up more often now, she needs to be ready, and perhaps she will be as good at dodging though questions as Keanu Reeves was dodging bullets on the Matrix.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm assuming English language & if true (and I have no reason to doubt it) it is a pretty sad statement on news magazines.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #703 ceezmad, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    I mean, you are probably not wrong on both statements.

This is US only, from the University of Missouri (decent sample size, but not very scientific selected?)

upload_2019-10-31_9-22-32.png

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ast-trusted-news-sources-in-the-us-2017-08-03

Now the sample population was not controlled for political leaning (mostly users of those news sources that responded), it was liberal squeaked.

upload_2019-10-31_9-23-52.png

Edit: I am a bit disappointed that the Christian Science monitor is not on the list, perhaps the name throws people off (specially liberals) but its news coverage is top notch.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Have all of those countries ever been in the same Qualifying group, either for the WC or Euros? Sure, occasionally you might get 2 of them, but the point was that they balance out the groups with "big" teams, fairly strong teams, middle of the roaders, weaker teams and minnows.

5. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She has a veteran politician's ability not to stupidly give Republicans a soundbite, despite repeated, gleeful prodding by the supposedly "liberal" media. If Warren ever says the words "increase" and "taxes" in the same sentence, guaranteed the entire context will be stripped away and every ad you see next year will be Elizabeth Warren, in her own voice, saying she's going to "increase taxes." Never mind that the general plan is you no longer pay insurance premiums, copays, or deductibles and that overall you'll likely have more money in your pocket.

She'd be a f*cking idiot to give her political opponents that soundbite. People need to stop criticizing her for not being a f*cking idiot.

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is the 21st century.
    The proper answer is that Mexico will pay for it.
    Democrats think it's a virtue to beat on their own.

JohnR repped this.
  7. We were with both Germany WC2014 title holder) and France (WC 2018 title holder) in one qualifying group for the final round of the NL. We are now in the EC2020 qualifying group with Germany and we've been there before and that is also the case with Italy, Germany, England, France and Belgium. It also happened for the WC qualifiers.
    You forget in Europe the number of groups is less than the number of top countries, so it is numerically impossible to keep top countries separate.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So... It looks like I'm finally going to get my wish of a "gatekeeper debate" in December. The new polling thresholds of needing four national polls at or above 4% or two early state polls at or above 6% are exactly the sort of bar-raising I've been asking for! Right now only Bernie, Joe, and Warren are qualified and only Kamala and Pete are close. This is great! Finally! No more Tulsis, Steyers, or Williamsons.

dapip and ceezmad repped this.
  9. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    "I'm scared if leftists come to power I'm gonna have to answer for my war crimes"

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [TG supporter] Killary and the DNC is keeping TG away from the debates by tinkering with the selection rules!!! They're afraid because she speaks the truth!!![TG Supporter]

11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    a) That's Nations League, which has fewer groups than a WC/Euro qualifier.
    b) Two of France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, England, Portugal in a qual group. Maybe somewhere along the line 3. But not four.
    c) I have no idea why you're digging your heels in on this. Bigger teams are generally in the same pot to keep them separate. If you wanna stagger primaries, bigger prizes (states) should also be kept separate as well. It's not a tortured analogy.

dapip repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia likes pacifist candidates that will cut and run, that makes it easier for Russia to move in and take the place of the USA.

It seems pretty logical, the Russians probably would love Jimmy Carter if he were running for President today.

They love Paul Jr, probably liked Paul Sr. and they would have also loved Kucinich.

Any Candidate advocating for less military intervention around the world by the USA, will be a favorite of Putin.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A commentary in 538 about Buttigieg in mostly Iowa and his chances.

He has been consistently a solid 4th place, pretty close to Sanders.

So of the argument they are having is that while Buttigieg has been trying to apear more moderate to compete with Biden (perhaps hoping to take the moderate mantle if Biden collapses). His most solid support block actually intersects more with Warren than Biden, white college educated voters.

So perhaps a slight raise in Buttigieg polling may be good news for Biden as it may take away from Warren support in Iowa.

Some interesting scenarios if Buttigieg can finish top 2 in Iowa.

If Sanders or Biden finish 4th, does it mean they are basically done?

Out of the big 3, who do you think would be the most hurt if they finish 3td or 4th in Iowa?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/so-about-that-buttigieg-surge/?cid=taboola_rcc_r

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Gabbard should send Clinton a thank you note, she has now qualified for the November debate (maybe she was going to do so anyways).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/one-last-candidate-qualifies-for-the-november-debate/

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Sanders says to Warren, I see your wealth tax, I will not be left flanked, here I raise you my wealth tax.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/24/20880941/bernie-sanders-wealth-tax-warren-2020

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delete!

Shit I keep thinking this is the primaries thread.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What the hell. No PBP?

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the focus is on the impeachment and it feels sort of superfluous to focus on yet another overcrowded debate in that context.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had a meeting, then a reception at a bar, and just arrived home.

Sorry.

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm also at class.

dapip repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good thing that's not cutting into your bigsoccer time!

23. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    7:47 / 3d Goal - Kuznetsov, Assist - Carlson

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good point. This is the first debate since hockey started.

And there are still as many debaters on the stage as there are skaters on the ice.

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    100% laser focused on the important things lol.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.