June 14th USA vs France

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Calci0, May 5, 2014.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well part of the problem is Heath only played half the match...if u double her stats they look much worse.

EbaJones repped this.
  2. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    well so will everyone elses, those stats are only for the first 46 minutes of the game, the time that heath was on the field. everyone got looked at for only those 46 minutes

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Positives
    US controlled the tempo for much of the match
    US possession wasnt bad in the first half
    Defensive line played a solid match
    No one got fired

Negatives
    1 shot on goal was more reflective of bad US offense than great France defense
    Possession went down as France pressed more
    Thomis caused problems with her speed
    No one got fired

Namdynamo and kolabear repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Those were first half stats? The whole midfield should be sacked

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #605 Cliveworshipper, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

The ref could have given straight red to all three white players for kicking an opponent. First Hustler kicks Vero on the knee(and also shoves her down) , then Perez knees her in the side, then Angeli comes from yards away to kick her in the ass trying to get the ball under her.

There was going to be a whistle with the shove. But when three players start kicking at her there had to be a card.

Angeli was just stupid getting involved, being already on a card. Maybe she thought she could get a fee lick because the ref would call the foul on one of the others. It proved poor judgement.

Somebody pleaded that the league would rescind the card. I'm not sure asking for that would be wise. The league might instead add two reds of kicking, just as they did for Lloyd for her punch earlier in the season.if they did, the minimum ban is for two matches according to article 48 of the disciplinary code.

And if you think the kicks weren't hard enough to warrant a caution, I refer you to this clip which drew a straight red in 1998

Beckham was a moron in 1998.

kolabear repped this.
  6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You forgot no one called out Ellis on video for playing possession football which isn't the American Way o_O but that could be as suicidal as calling out Lines in WNY.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    PEPE just earned himself a straight red card for lesser conduct in the Portugal-Germany match, which is kind of funny considering that it was against Portugal that Rooney drew his red.

TeaDrinkerful repped this.
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but possession at what pace? Enough to put up 6 shots with one on goal. Yuck.

Also, France, inexplicably, sat back the entire first half and played on the counter. Weird game. Damn I'm glad the Portland Thorns/ Spirit game was entertaining to help make up for it. I was depressed by that match.

9. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    well it seemed to me like the first attacker was the one that really deserved the card, I dont know what the ref was thinking...he was good throughout the rest of the game though

10. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    it was a great match, vero was so good and so was amber brooks, her through balls were better than pinoes or heath's

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    we're in the wrong thread, but...

they were so good because the spirit were so poor. they may be good apart from that, but it may be a good thing not to tout too much, the players who stand out in these kinds of games.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I learned in fourth grade that the teacher often doesn't get the first instance, but punishes the one she sees, which is usually the last one.

13. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    thorns and spirit were both missing players, and spirit are ahead of thorns on the nwsl chart, so i do think thorns were actually very good this game. they were missing angerer, sinclair, alex, hollebeck, long

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    that can be deceiving tho.

both sides were playing their b teams. but the portland b team was much better it seemed, than the spirit b team. so it's dangerous (not necessarily wrong) to assume too much about people like vero and brooks who like first teamers should, essentially beat up on the hapless spirit.

again, not saying that vero and brooks are not good. just that this may not be a good game by which to judge them.

(they're gonna kick us off this thread)

15. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    its possible im not gonna deny that

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The other odd thing about the slow tempo is generally u do that to slow a team down...France wasnt pushing it either so it became really slow.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case I didn't mention before, in the International forum there's several people who comment on things from the French perspective. They didn't think either team was very good, although France's coach Philippe Bergeroo apparently told the press that his team played well against a very strong US team.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Leroux could have easily been called for a handball on her way toward that goal. From where I was sitting at behind the goal, it looked like the ball hit her hand before it dropped down to her feet.

And I was hoping to meet some of you at the game but no one came bye. Oh, well.

20. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sorry MRAD12 I spent my time looking for ponchos to stay dry and then waiting for the game to get exciting...other than a few moments that didn't happen....Next time. Still bummed to not see Arod, Johnston or Hagen play, at least Arod warmed up I guess..,