Jumpin in with Both Feet

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Red&Black, May 9, 2007.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    This is a forum I never really thought I'd read let alone post in til recently. However a family member got someone pregnant and neither of them can raise the boy (to be born next month) so yours truly is adopting him. I'm 41, divorced, never had kids. Gonna be crazy. I am lucky I date a woman who has a 12 yr old so i do get some good advice.

My biggest concern is childcare. I thought about hiring a live-in but i think it might be better to have him in a daycare. any thoughts on that? what's the best way going about finding either?

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty big life change there.

On live-in (nanny or au pair) vs day care center -- my wife and I went with day care for our baby, and we have friends who got an au pair when they had twins a couple of years ago -- they have had two successive young adults from Malaysia who came via some agency, it's been great for them. But I think for one baby, getting live-in help is probably overkill. Twins, or if you have one or more older kids already and then have another, yeah, having an extra pair of hands around the house is invaluable, but for just one, day care is probably easiest.

For how to find day care -- we have an agency that keeps track of every registered day care place in the county -- 4Cs of San Mateo County -- if you have something similar where you live, that is the best place to start. That and word of mouth from your married friends or relatives who have kids in day care. Your company may have arrangements for employees -- my company has a deal with a local day care place but the waiting list was very long.

Best of luck with your new baby -- you're doing an amazing thing for your family.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Good luck with the little one.

Seeing as you'll be a single parent, a live-in nanny might make things a little easier on you than day-care. Not that I would know, since we don't have any children yet.

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're quite a good human being to take in that child. I hope the whole situation brings you a lot of happiness and joy. BEST of LUCK!

5. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Any player whose feet leave the ground and who does not jump straight up may be called for "jumping at" if he or she makes contact with an opponent.

Jumping at an opponent with both feet is a direct kick foul.

Except when it happens in your case then it is good very good.

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    appreciate the advice and the well wishes

7. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    We went the daycare route with out two boys (now in High School), there are some positive aspects such as learning to play with others and the needs to share, both items and attention of teachers.

One thing to specifically ask, was "can we just drop in when ever we want during the day?" I was amazed how many had reasons to say "no", everything from disrupts the schedule to we want a call first etc. We immediately crossed them off our list. We also, while looking, dropped into day cares to check them out un-announced to see them in action, don't do this at "bad" times, like lunch. First test was how quick it took someone to grab us and talk to us, you know a stranger walking into a daycare really should be questioned within a few seconds.

We found one we liked and the kids to this day enjoy going back to see some of their early "teachers".

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're a great person for doing this and I'll think it'll only make you a better person (if it doesn't kill you first ;)).

are you excited about doing this, do you want to do this or are you doing it out of a feeling of obligation? it's just gotta be a tough situtation to be in and it's great to see you step up and keep the kid with his family. he'll be so much better off.

any advice you need on any kid topic, this is the place to get it. it may not always be good advice, but there are friendly ears in here.

best of luck.

:)