News: Julian Green Opts For USA Over Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    dmike repped this.
  2. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Julian Green listed on Bayern Munich first team roster

Pep Guardiola said that Julian Green would play a part with Bayern Munich's first team this season and, at least in the preseason, that looks like the case. As Bayern get ready for summer training, the American has been listed on the team's first team roster.

This isn't a case of Bayern giving everyone a chance at the first team in the preseason. The club only lists 26 first team players, and that includes their newest signings so it really is close to a first team. Green is listed as a forward, along with four others, and is one of only two players born in 1995, making him one of the youngest on the team.

CTS26, Dr. Gamera, SamsArmySam and 3 others repped this.
  3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    With the intense level of work Julian got this summer he ought to be way ahead early in the season. He had already impressed and now if he shows up in top form and shape , he will have a chance to really shine.

4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Amazing result for him. This is his big shot and he should take it. If he really impresses they might keep him around as a bench guy for the 1s or send him out to compete for a starting job at another club lower in the Bundesliga table. Either way to spend any time training with the summer first team is awesome.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Julian Green to go a full 90 vs the USMN..er..MLS All-Stars

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to see him play in German Cup games and hopefully in CL games that they are winning in the group stage.

Bundesliga??? maybe....

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also hope he scores against MLS all stars so that all of the MLS analysts that said he wouldn't amount to much can suck it

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone really say that? Some questioned whether he was good enough now to contribute to this World Cup team. He proved them wrong, if briefly.

And scoring against the MLS allstars won't make Green, he needs to get consistent playing time on a decent or better professional squad to do that (you never know, but I doubt it's going to be an issue).

MPNumber9 repped this.
  9. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it a hat trick or sombrero. They were such dicks about him.

It's not surprising though. The plain girls always talk shit behind the hot girls' backs.

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since its supremely hard to score in an MLS All-Star game that'd be relevant.

11. -RNG-

-RNG- Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    It's amazing to see the players he's going to be training with -- beyond Robben and Ribery, there's Gotze, Lewandowski, Muller, Neuer. What a great place to learn….

Alexisonfire repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There's a lot to be positive WRT Green. We all have to remember that currently Germany seems to be an AM producing machine. He seems to be in a path similar to, although slightly behind, Ozil, Mueller and Goetze. Given what this development program has achieved I think that there is good reason to believe that Green could conitnue in a similar vein. This year will be the important one.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  14. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I think Green needs solid first team minutes this season. Training with the pros is one thing but if you look at players like Götze, Draxler, Schürrle, Müller, Özil, Kroos etc. at age 19 they all got a lot of minutes in the 1. Bundesliga and started making a name for themselves. I don't know if Green is at the same level that those players where at his age, some players need a little bit longer to develop it's not a big deal. The switch from the 4. to the 1. division is though. A lot of talented players in the 3. or even 2. devision have looked great over the years but never truly could reach a top level in the top league. Will be interesting to watch Green make the jump.
    If he doesn't get enough minutes this year I think he should force a loan, there is no substitute to actually playing competitive games at this stage of his development.

15. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll factor this cycle. But, I'm sticking to my original prediction that he won't cut it with Bayern. That's OK, can still be good enough for the US national team at a "lower" side.

16. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you're wrong?

Gamecock14 repped this.
  17. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    He's coming on in the 37th.

18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But there are no guarantees he becomes a regular with them.

19. dannyusf

dannyusf Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sweet touch by Green and strong shot on target. Good reflexes on Rimando, but he is looking really quick out there.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1571 Pl@ymaker, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    He needs to be loaned to a MLS club. He is not ready to play with Bayern's first team.

Landon Donovan showing Green how it's done BTW.

21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your contribution? You nailed it. Can we close this thread now?

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quit hyping this guy.

23. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Let's follow your lead and hype up bench warmers in Mexico instead.

UxSxAxfooty, gunnerfan7, Skevin and 3 others repped this.
  24. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. I'll stick with the position I had I initially and re-affirmed after watching him from the front row of the left wing he played on v. Turkey. He's the real deal. He does stuff most US players can't or don't. He'll be a lock starter for US by Copa America unless the federation wants to just load up Olympic Squad.