Julian Green (Bayern Munich): In-N-Out: Julian Green on loan at Hamburger SV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Interesting development:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-20-M...-Significance-of-FIFA-Provisional-Roster.aspx

Julian Green was named to the provisional 35 man for the US U20 World Cup team. This was submitted in mid-May but not released by the USSF until June.

I don't know if US soccer named him hoping he would commit to the US, and thus this was a "just in case" scenario.

Or if he's actually committed to the US program.....................................

He'd be on the young side for a U20 World Cup squad, as he's only a 95. But Kellyn Acosta is a 95, and made the roster.

Winoman, Testudo and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  2. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasn't he called up for the u18 team fairly recently but had to pull out because of an injury?

Russell Canouse is another 95 that was on the provisional list.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Julian Green very much wants to play for the United States. He will be a big player during the 2015 U20 cycle.

Acosta made the team because there was a need for a d-mid (since Stanko is playing CB) and a guy who can provide fullback cover. He was needed.

As for forward/wingers, Ramos is pretty happy with his contingent. Even when he was healthy, McBean couldn't get onto to the team. It was the same way for Bijev.

Cuevas, Pineda, Garcia, Villarreal, and Rodriguez were always part of the equation. The late push from Hernandez making Monterrey's first team forced Ramos to make room for him. There really wasn't room for Green. That being said, Green will have his chance. He's really, really young.

SoccerKowboy and ImaPuppy repped this.
  5. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern's U19 lost to Hansa Rostock over two legs in the semis so they will miss out on the German cup final. Green started today and played the full 90.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/en/news/matchreport/2013/43327.php
    Dream Game in Weiden
    Guardiola era opens with 16-goal festival
    [​IMG]
    Wildenau and the Upper Palatinate region had been looking forward to the annual FC Bayern Dream Game for weeks, and on Saturday the big day arrived as the treble winners visited nearby Weiden for the now traditional season-opening friendly against a lucky fan club. The Wildenau Fan Club worked tirelessly to stage an unforgettable festival, with the focus this time not on football but charity. Fully 50 percent of the profits will be given to club foundation FC Bayern Hilfe e.V., with the fan club announcing that the remainder is to be donated to community institutions in the region. The spectators were rewarded for coming with a 16-goal party.

The enthusiastic 11,000 crowd who flocked to the stadium, home to promoted Bavarian League outfit SV Weiden, saw the Bundesliga champions win 15-1 in their first run out under new coach Pep Guardiola. Youngster Patrick Weihrauch topped the scoring chart with four goals, with the rest coming from Julian Green (3), Franck Ribéry (2), Mitchell Weiser (2), Oliver Markoutz, Thomas Müller, Vladimir Rankovic and Toni Kroos. Jürgen Förster drew a huge round of applause when he scored a consolation for the Fan Club XI.

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    We will see what happens. But, if he is 18-years oid and makes minutes for they Bayern munich in the bundesliga this year, I don't see him jumping for a the USMNT so fast. Bayern munich will be constantly convincing him
    to play with Germany again.

stonejh127 repped this.
  8. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty cool seeing the name of a young american next to Frank Ribery and Thomas Muller. Will he be playing for the U-23's this yr?

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  9. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pep doing drills.

I think that's Green.

stonejh127 repped this.
  11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully, the influence of his dad leads to a favorable Rossi-like situation for us.

HopperKowalski repped this.
  12. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deeneaus repped this.
  14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Also looked to have 2 assists. If he's good enough Pep will have no problem using him. I've really liked what I've seen but like most here I haven't seen Julian play a full game.

15. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he's not. He played in the game the other day in which they won 15-1 and then played again today where he had the hattrick. Pep has been using him quite a bit in these fan club games, don't be shocked if he doesn't at least get a chance. Remember when Pep decided to start using another 18 year old in the first team? The rest is history.... (Obviously Green in no Messi, but Guardiola might like what he sees)

16. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. He scored a hattrick in a 9-1 win over TSV Regen. I think he'll be playing for Bayern II this year.

17. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, little doubt he's going to be with the U-23's this year. If he makes a really strong impression he could put himself in a similar situation to Emre Can last year: starting for the U-23's and playing in select cup games, making the bench/playing a few times, if/when the title is clinched.

18. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D Didn't realize the Guardiola article was about that game. I got confused, I meant to post about the TSV Regen match but I saw that article and just assumed they were the same game.

Deeneaus and jakepc42 repped this.
  19. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Frank Rijkaard was still the coach I believe at the time Messi was first called up for first team minutes.

LouisZ repped this.
  20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think Pedro, who Pep brought into Barca B, is the better example.

21. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could have just let me slide..... :(

22. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What fun would that have been? Lol

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Guardiola is not German. Why in the world would he pressure Julian to play for Germany? That makes no sense.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words (with a hyphen): Trans-Atlantic flights.

chalaron repped this.
  25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to say, though, that international duty isn't as big of a deal in Germany. These teams don't have anywhere near the fixture congestion of EPL and La Liga teams. Many Bundesliga teams only play 35-36 competitive games a year, and chances are if Green breaks out it will be with one of these teams.

And if Green breaks out with Bayern, they have tons of depth. Pep won't have to worry at all about player fatigue.