Juan Guillermo Cuadrado - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Apr 4, 2009.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Better than umtiti imho

J-Mezzy, dapip and jay luis repped this.
  2. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    4 reps from 4 countries. This was a phenomenal stretch of games. Hoping for a RM vs Bayern for obvious reasons.

pepinointer repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hope Real lose 10-0 or 7-1 as they don’t deserve to be in the semi final like another shit historic team in 2014 :)

4. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I find your reactions odd as I think this was a penalty:

There was a push, there was kick on the chest when the guy had a clear goal scoring opportunity. Even the commentators agreed that it was a penalty. Juve played roughly throughout the game (Jesus they had 6 yellow cards before Buffon was red-carded). If barca was in the same situation people in public opinion would've found nothing wrong with this penalty. Yes, there have been inaccurate calls in the past but this was a fair call. Juve were outstanding but RMA deserved to go through because they capitalized one that golden chance.

While I don't agree with how Real Madrid do things (especially with how they've treated James in recent years) I can't be biased and say that this was because Real Madrid had paid off the ref.

5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ???? ridicoulous phrases.

Personally my relation with footballl is beyond what happens with james or another colombian player.....and im not obsessed with madrid or barcelona neither...

isnt issue of beign biased or not........the play have had different interpretations (is valid).......actually that is my concerned with the var.....the most of the plays that will be judge with the VAR can have different interpretations...

IMHO vasquez were diving before the touch of Benatia.....Isnt that people that doesnt think like you, are biased or something.

Even some referees have said that it wasnt penalty...

Other say that is penalty..

6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

7. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Entonces..jugo mejor que umtiti?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Close call but I think it was a penalty.
    And if VAR would have been applied the Ref probably would have said screw you VAR, it is a penalty. (The referee has the right to look at it or decline looking at it too.)
    Or at worst he would have looked at it and kept his same decision because there is no clear or obvious error to overturn the initial call on the field.

9. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hate madrid, but i think it was a penalty as well. Feel bad for Buffon.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It was, at the very very least, a controversial call, the kind of call that makes referees look bad. There's always a lot of contact in the box and usually smaller players have a tougher time, while not all contact is necessarily a foul.

This one was not a clear penalty IMHO, and at that stage of the game, the referee should have had let it go, since the ball was within playing distance for Benatia, the contact was not an attempt to foul the player, and the optics would be horrible.

villus and kromekote repped this.
  11. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    This is the biggest problem with the call. You can't make that type of call unless it's a flagrant foul and you're 100% sure. LV knew the contact was eventually coming and made the most out of the situation. The momentum after Juve's goal had clearly shifted to RM and everyone felt it was a matter of time but that's a crappy way to decide a game. Give credit where it's due, C7 did not hesitate and took that PK well. Buffon wouldnt have made any difference.

villus, dapip and jay luis repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A foul can still be a foul even if the intent was not there to foul. We have seen clumsy defenders get called for things even though they did not mean to.

As Pepino mentioned in one of his posts some refs would call that and others would not.
    It is sort of like real life how judges on certain side of the political spectrum rule differently on a law. Just depends on the person making the judgment and their strict or lenient tendencies.

dapip repped this.
  13. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I don't disagree but part of the experience for a ref is to use highly trained judgement and make the most reasonable call. The defender did make contact with the ball. Yes there was some contact with the player. And yes LV made the most of it. I'm not looking for rule interpretation as much as having the ref understand the context around the contact, place on the field and time.
    Over the years, part of Colombian suffering is watching horrible calls when playing against teams with more tradition. Whether it's intended or not intended by the ref, there is constant pressure to benefit the team with the most pedigree.

Attached Files:

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There’s another element there and is that Vasquez is actually not trying to play the ball. If both players went for the ball, there’s contact AND the defender makes contact with the attacking player and not with the ball, then it’s a clear PK, otherwise it’s a judgment call that could go either way.

I personally hate when players drag a leg or run into the defenders path to generate contact and think that divers should not be rewarded. Calling that PK yesterday rewards the diver.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This we can agree on. I don't like it either.
    That said , some players know how to do it well and force the Ref into making a tough call. Juventus has many players who have done this in the past so they certainly have no moral ground to stand on in this situation.

16. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    LV is not the best finisher. I would have given him all the time to trap and shoot vs Buffon :D

dapip repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I read a study a few years back saying that even though it may be perceived that calls go a certain way for players or teams that may have a certain prestige or reputation it does not mean it is true.

Good teams and good players get calls because they are usually good athletes that put themselves into positions to get the call.
    We see it in all of sports with basketball players getting foul calls, Baseball pitchers getting the outside corner, Football teams getting the benefit of the doubt on pass interference at the end of games.
    Good teams/ players just know how to put themselves into good positions and usually take advantage of those mistakes. That is why they are very good at what they do.

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Regarding this.. It is also how leagues instruct their referees.. Take for example the NBA, back in the Bad Boys era and the Jordan rules: There was plenty of hacking, slapping and tapping and a lot of physical contact was allowed. Once Riley made the attempt to duplicate that in NY, the NBA started ruling out a lot of contact and now we have a league that gives offensive players most of the advantage. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the 1990s to be back, but I think that defender should be allowed a little more physicality than what they can get away with today. IOW, I'm all for more driving to the basket and dunk, but I also like the challenger near the basket to be able to stop it without it being called a foul 90% of the time. I hate when commentators say "he is very good at creating contact" about a player, in my mind that means "he knows how to bend the rules"...

In that sense, I do think that FIFA and UEFA and everyone needs to protect offense and talent, and in that regards numerous changes have accomplished a lot for the game: The no tackle from behind rule, the last man red card, even a properly implemented VAR are moves in the right way. But heck, don't cripple the defenders and don't reward the divers!!!

jay luis repped this.
  19. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuadrado played 90 mins and did ok. His confidence is still not high enough to dribble like he used to, but physically he is fine.

Froboy69, HomietheClown and pepinointer repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good to know he can play 90 minutes. His stamina and endurance was one thing many of us was questioning heading into the World Cup. This is a good sign for him if he wants to start in the World Cup.

Froboy69, dapip and Furnaccio repped this.
  21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sidspaceman, HomietheClown and dapip repped this.
  22. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I saw the second half of the match and Cuadrado is starting look like himself again, he played well. The goal was great.

sidspaceman and HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #2948 HomietheClown, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    The stats I saw said it was an autogol so I assumed he did not do much.
    Then I saw the highlights and realized that it was his merit and he had a solid game. Great to see he is getting back his groove and rhythm. We are going to need it in the Mundial.

sidspaceman repped this.
  24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Was Cuadrado playing right back or wing back against Inter?