Juan Fernando Quintero news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Please god no don't let him transfer to Real and please don't let him even allow thoughts of what he's achieved creep in. He's doing so well because he was given a chance to earn playing time through his work and had a chance to go to the world cup dangled in front of him.

Anyone who was questioning Quintero go back and look at his River games and see the passes and amount of chances he was creating and he's doing the same now but simply has much better players around him and is doing it on the big stage. I was raving about his play because of the way he views the game and the technique and vision he has which not many players in the world possesses. If this guy can keep his head down and keep working hard and keep growing his defense and stamina I 100% think this guy could compete at a club like Barca/Real, put him with great players on a team that dominates possession and this guy turns into a super valuable commodity. There is a reason why Busquets is such a sick player on Barca, he has such amazing vision and ability to look players off with his eyes and find Messi with line cutting passes over and over, getting the guys who are killers in the final third the ball over and over again in space is a huge skill, add in Quintero can also score sick goals from anywhere around the box and you see why this guy gets attention just from a few games. He's doing that for Colombia in a double pivot with James, either one of those guys in space rip teams apart with their vision, put them together and they both are able to find each other in space that's why as crazy as it sounds I could see this guy in teams like Barca and Real.

2. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To think, most of you told me to stop bringing him up and look what happens when you keep faith on a player who obviously wanted to improve and had that spark coming back.

I am glad that I never lost faith on this little shit and I am happy to call him a crack once again.

villus repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nope bro no cookies for you....

One thing people who supported Falcao when he was a zombie...... he just needed time to get the killer instinct back but Quintero basically retired to start a music career....

most people who had hope for him other then homie were basically just being hipsters about Quintero

jay luis repped this.
  4. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I also had faith in Falcao...thinking back to it all, I wonder why I am accurate about these players...

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    many many players that are 'lost in transition' will come and go throughout the sport...some win but most lose.....this is an exciting time and JFQ has already had a successful cup no matter what happens but his story still has many years to be written. Hope only the best for him but he has underachieved tremendously given his natural talents.

jay luis repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The interesting thing with jfq is that he has shown up well at two WCs. It's rare to see someones primary/defining body of work be at this level but he's pulled it off.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    is our quaresma

dapip, J-Mezzy, kromekote and 5 others repped this.
  8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  9. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Supposedly a few English clubs in for him, Spurs and Wolves. No matter what happens easiest money River will have ever made.

dapip and crzdcolombian repped this.
  10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Needs to stay in SA. He will get killed in England

villus and pepinointer repped this.
  11. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He needs to get it in his head that he’s not cut out for Europe. Not only are “10”s just a dying breed. He doesn’t have the stamina or physical ability to make up for it. Staying in River is a no brainer if I was him. He needs to be smart and think that if he still wants to contribute to the NT, he needs to consider his club future very carefully.

crzdcolombian and BlueDamian repped this.
  12. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  13. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think is more if he is willing to put up the work that an European club demands and evolve in his game.
    He already show us that he can perform in the big stage against high pressure teams. This is no u20 tournament or Dim in the Colombian league

dapip repped this.
  14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Quintero did not maintain his fitness; unless he somewhat makes up for it and keeps working his ass off, he won't be able to keep up in european football.

15. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The only reason he’s been able to keep up this kind of form is because the Argies still use a “10” on their teams. I’m not questioning his ability but I just don’t see him keeping up with the European demands. Look how long it’s taken for James to somewhat establish himself. And if it weren’t for his hard work and dedication to evolve himself into a CM/CAM/LW hybrid he would still be stuck in limbo. I do not see Quintero having the same “luck” nor work ethic to get it done. It’s one thing to show class on the big stage tourney but it’s another to show that consistency in a league like La Liga or EPL. He should play it safe.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t know depends on the new coach.

I can’t see a different coach starting a super sub at River over 5 other dudes who probably are starting in Europe especially if it’s Osorio

17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    England would be the worst fit for him yes, he'd be much better suited to Spain or Italy. I think it would be best for him to stay at River, but the big money is in Europe and he may not get another chance so I can see him taking it. Its a problem in England if he does go he has to go to a big team, Spurs would actually make the most sense because they'd be able to use him in games they look to dominate. He can't go to some mid table team that won't attack and won't have most of the ball, he'll just be wasted.

18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Stop calling him a super sub, he was handled with a plan to keep motivating him and get him up to full fitness. It worked and he's been our best player at the world cup and involved in everything. When the guy played for River he was far and away the best player on the field and was doing the same stuff he's been doing for us except he's got good players around him.

Doogs repped this.
  19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok what percent of games was he a starter at river?

WC Quintero > River Quintero

Look if he had been starting and playing like he is at the WC for River his call up wouldn’t have been so questioned.

Playing like he is now or bringing Cardona is debateable. But bringing Cardona or a super sub at River is super questionable. Fine the stupid ban for the Asian eye gesture but still.

Don’t pretend Quintero has done anything these past 4 years instead have a lucky free kick against Japan and a very good game against Poland

20. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well also you are bringing into the argument to break into R.Madrid starting XI which was James main struggle. He performed at both Monaco and even R.Madrid first season with Ancelotti and now at Bayern.
    I think Quintero can perform in Europe as well, all depends if he is willing to help in defence and offense if he is not, then yeah he should stay in River.

21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That's a straw man. He was playing great at River, chances created rely on players finishing. He was imo intentionally used as a sub to build up his fitness and bring him along not because he wasn't playing well. The game is the game, you have to evaluate their play and Pekerman completely made the right evaluation, imo Cardona would have been fine to go but they both had to go. He hasn't done anything for 4 years, but where he is now and how he is playing its unquestionable the talent the guy has and that he can win games for you.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok but still a sub for the 20th of 30 teams in Argentina

These facts don’t change because he is Colombian or doing decently right now at the WC

A sub is a sub. Not like a sub for Juve, Real or Barca.....

Dudes a sub In the 20th team in Argentina. Maybe the went a little higher by the end of the season who knows..

23. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's completely incoherent. If a sub is a sub, it wouldn't matter where he plays.

He played well at River, whether as a sub or not and even prior to the tournament we'd noted his upswing in form on the forum.

It's the perfect team for him - he should play there as long as they will have him.

jay luis repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    People were raving about his play because he was playing exceptionally. His form in this tournament and his inclusion were not him just getting lucky. He's been playing at not just a level to be chosen but damn near world class. That's not conjecture his play vs Poland was something you don't see every day even at the world cup. Barrios is a sub for the national team yet crzd you can't stop yelling how Sanchez is better? Or a sub is a sub so Sanchez has to be better? The logic and reasoning is mierda :)

kromekote and jay luis repped this.
  25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River finished only a few points from 3rd place, despite throwing away the tournament in the first half of the season to focus on Libertadores knockouts.. They are unbeaten in the last 17 games, 12 of which were clean sheets (against tough rivals too -- Boca, Flamengo, Racing, San Lorenzo, Estudiantes, etc.). The team is a candidate for everything at play in the 2018-19 season, stop acting like he's playing in freaking Temperley

Regardless, a player should be judged on his personal form, not his club's league position. While it may be true that River underachieved this last season given the club's glorious history, JuanFer on a personal note gave outstanding displays game after game. Week in and week out he would shine, and while many here tried to undermine his performances, he is further proving his importance in the WC.

Quinteros is crack, and I agree with all of you here saying he should stay in River. Obviously in the first place because I love having him on my team, but seeing it from a neutral perspective I also think it's the best for his growth. He has great respect for Gallardo and appears to understand him very well. Gallardo, besides knowing Quinteros' role better than anyone else, has shown that he's great at potentiating players: Kranevitter, Carlos Sanchez, Funes Mori, etc. all became unstoppable players and NT starters under his guidance. To be honest, many have "deflated" after moving on.. I fear something similar could happen to JFQ if he doesn't go to the right team.

kromekote, HomietheClown, ryu79 and 3 others repped this.