Juan Fernando Quintero news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Using him correctly is going to be a very difficult decision and thought process. And a lot of it has to do with Cardona and how he is used if he is on the roster.

villus repped this.
  2. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

For me, JFQ would be my hail mary in a match that we need to win. In fact he's just as tall as Doug Flutie :)

Azucarero repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As a life long Miami fan please do not remind me of that.

kromekote and dapip repped this.
  4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Another great game, his dribbling and passing are on point. I really want to see us find a way to play him and James together, just too much soccer ability to leave one out. I'd almost rather see Cuadrado as the super sub and start Quintero.

locoxriver repped this.
  5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    noooooo, thank you. Look back at those highlights and you'll see that JFQ ability comes with being able to have space anywhere on the field. Gallardo, having played as a great #10 as well, understands this type of player. However, put him with James, who also requires a lot of free room and space to distribute and to move around and you'll have lots of issues (let's not forget both very lefty, so will occupy much of the same spaces). Cuadrado is much more dynamic player on the wing that has has a lot of speed and 1 v1 ability that can wreck havoc. He also is responsible defensively and tactically with his space and can play your full 90 minutes at the highest level where JFQ doesnt have the physicality to do so at the moment/ever. JFQ loses the ball and the space left behind him will be massive because he will not track back.

pepinointer repped this.
  6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    James has played as a CM deeper this season and has played as a wide left forward plenty in his career. Its possible and getting them both on the field together should increase the ability for each of them to find space since we'll have more time on the ball and more ability to hold it and allow others to find space. If you look at our qualifying campaign James was at his best when we had Cardona playing because Cardona could keep the ball and buy James time to drift into space to receive the ball between the lines.

7. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    James's main role as AMF is to be a point of attack both with thru balls and perfect timing and ultimately with his kicks. Having 2 like players in similar positions means you have to take someone out in attack --- with Cuadrado out you are now eliminating a possible target man upfront that can run into these perfectly timed passes with is speed. Cuadrado can do that all day long for James while pulling his defender and creating more space. Neither James or JFQ are making speed runs into space, thats not there strength/specialty. It's about balance and tactical discipline. My biggest question marks with Cuadrado in the past has been when he chooses a play that requires a much simpler outcome, something he's learned to do with Juve quite well. I've liked his past couple friendlies but I think Cuadrado had a stinker of a qualifier while JFQ was busy making reggaeton albums.

jay luis repped this.
  8. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I agree we do need balance and you need players to make runs off of James and Quintero and you need players who pick up the slack defensively. But if we play a 4-2-2-2 which is a formation we've had the most success with we can fit them both in, our default for that formation when we were at our best leading up to 2014 was with James and Macnelly both playing, and Quintero is a better version of Macnelly who can drop deeper and is better at holding the ball and dribbling into space/finishing chances. James can play wide as a forward and he can play deeper as a CM which he has been doing for Bayern late in the season, so there is ways to get the best out of both of them.

If we bring in Quintero we sacrifice runners off the ball and defense work, but its possible to make it fit

--------Falcao--
    Muriel---Quintero--Cuadrado
    -------James------Barrios

This formation is an example of what we could roll out, Cuadrado and Muriel both are willing runners and offer a lot defensively, Quintero and James can both drift into space on and off and when one goes higher the other droops deeper, also Cuadrado can drop deeper to help in the midfield if Quintero drifts higher.

Man City play Silva and KDB and they take over games in the midfield, it also makes it difficult to clamp down on any one player since both are capable of being playmakers and can score/hit a pass. James has not been playing as a 10 for most of his season at Bayern which is the key, he can play a disciplined roll beside one destroyer.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow !!!! You guys have this dude starting!!!! In fking sane!!!!

I am the crazy one in this forum and people here want Quintero to start?

Also shocked some of you want him over Izquerido.

To me it’s Quintero or Cardona. I don’t see them both going as they are both super subs. That serve the same function

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No, just the same guy that said that duvan and muriel were 24 and were better than falcao......and should start over him...because were fast and strrong.

11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I want us to try it, and we know that pekerman has played a formation with James and Macnelly and been really successful with it. Against tough teams its probably too risky but we need to develop a system where James plays with another Cardona/Quintero for games we need to dominate or if we are behind and need to attack.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No friendlies left man !!!

One that we play ourselves in a Sunday league pickup game in Bogota and then one against Egypt

If we played 3 like last time + the pick up game then we could try stuff but with 1 real friendly we can’t make shit up

That is what the Asia friendlies were for and a huge wasted opportunity

13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Game in Bogota and start with it vs Egypt! We need this, so annoyed with the shitty soccer we played during this cycle. We were awesome and fan favorites in 2014 because of our style and how we played and passed, if we want to do something this World Cup we need to get that mojo back, double playmakers!! Lets show some balls. ******** it throw Cardona in there too in his future position. ******** ittttttt Colombians don't go to world cups to play it safe!!!

-------Muriel-Falcao
    James-------------Juanfer-
    -------Cardona-Barrios
    Fabra-Sanchez-Mina-Cuadrado

[​IMG]

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly if we play like shit for 7 games and are champions still :) I will be insanely happy

All that matters is we get a star on our fking uniforms.

Italy played like shit when they won no one remembers other then they were the 2006 champs!!!

15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Theoretically this should be the case, but we've NEVER really seen that happen. The only time these two have generally looked good together and fed off of each other was in the last World Cup. I've gotten to the point where I just don't feel like Cuadrado and James compliment each other...not with the rest of the squad as is.

Villus brought up James-Mac...neither of these two are speedsters. However, that element of a speedster who can create space and darting runs came in the form of Armero back then.

I think Quintero is a super sub. I think Quintero himself thinks he's a super sub. BUT the idea of the double creative mid formation has been intriguing me since forever with Cardona. Yes, he's slow, but when he has speedy guy on his wing, and when you aren't relying on him to give you width, he's damn effective. Arias makes blistering runs. He could be what Armero used to be..only this time we have a James on the other side who comes into the box far more effectively.

That's why I and several other people got very excited when Duvan linked up well with Falcao. The opportunity to not HAVE to play Cuadrado finally presented itself. Bot sure if Pekerman would go that far to bench Cuadrado, though...

lol, thanks for at least recognizing that you're geeking out. I get carried away thinking of the attacking talent we have sometimes, too.

16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah on paper Cuadrado is a great player to play wide and make runs and defend and move into space to take advantage of the time and ability we have on the ball. But the problem is Cuadrado does not play like that for us, he try's to play like a playmaker, wants the ball to feet and quite often gets the ball flat footed then goes at players from a standing position. It hasn't worked since 2014, yes he defends and tracks back well but he rarely makes runs for us either off the ball or late into the box when the ball is on the other side. He plays like he's a playmaker rather then someone who should be creating width and playing direct and simpler, he's not a 10 and Pekerman really needs to drive that home to him, and if he keeps trying to play like that we might as well use someone who is effective at it in Quintero.

I am geeking out, but we were at our best in this cycle with Cardona freeing up James to drift into space to receive the ball, James is super effective when he gets the ball between the lines and 2014 cycle and the World Cup that was what he was doing constantly. James is so versatile that we can sacrifice constantly having him on the ball if we can get him the ball in more dangerous positions in the attacking third or let him play wide and drift inside. As well this season he's shown he can play as a CM, so we can also take him a little further back if we have someone else playing that role (Quintero) in games we will be able to dominate possession. IMO what has hampered us fundamentally from 2014 is Zuniga and Armero were so good at attacking and providing us width that we could play Mac and James, so far we have not had that in our fullbacks.

17. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    @villus what percentage of Quintero's rights do you own?:D

Froboy69, Azucarero, pepinointer and 2 others repped this.
  18. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    If Pekerman slots in Mattheus to start he will have given himself the linkup play he's always been looking for with the defensive tactical support he expects from MF. He's our Banega but with more taste for goal in the final 1/3.

------------Roca
    Uribe

Cuadrado----James ---- Muriel

---Falcao

5 potential players that can ALL score, not shabby.

19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm on board with Uribe starting at CM, he's versatile enough that James can drop deep to dictate play and Uribe can move forward and attack. Hope it works, and we definitely have to try that in a friendly. Still want the nuclear attacking Quintero option though :), would be willing to sacrifice Muriel for Quintero and allow James to play wide left for some of the friendly to see all out possession mode. Final offer!

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have Muriel being left out :)

The rest I like :) hope Sanchez passing is as sexy as it was against France

21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    River will be signing Quintero permanently for 3m. Bargain.

http://www.futbolred.com/colombiano...ate-que-hara-uso-de-la-opcion-de-compra-84826

HomietheClown and Azucarero repped this.
  22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    pepinointer repped this.
  24. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    they signed Armani for 4m, just gave him a 20m release clause.

25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Yeah they'll get a good mint for Armani as he's proven and having a great season with RP.