Juan Fernando Quintero news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I mean, individually speaking, Cuadrado is a much better player.

However, you're disregarding the systems. James Mac Teo Falcao, while maybe slow and less famous, was a fine-tuned machine that worked perfectly for a couple years. That team had balance.

Post world cup, Colombia has NEVER looked that balance and it partly has to do with the lack of a buffer needed to connect James and Cuadrado who do not compliment each other. James-Macnelly--when we still had Armero and Zuniga--complimented each other perfectly.

2. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've been wondering... Have you seen Brayan Angulo recently? He is playing at a very high level offensively. I know you guys don't like players from the concacrap, neither do I, but he has always been an interesting option that hasn't been used. I have the feeling that James playing centrally with Muriel and Izquierdo on the flanks and maybe Angulo, Fabra, Arias in the fullbacks James could really use all his his offensive potential.

Azucarero repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Any LB that is playing should be given a shot.

Mexican league > Belgium league

I wanted Cuadrado to start after his 1st game when he scored on Mexico after like 20 passes :)

Speaking of wingbacks. What about #2 RB?

Bad transfers really hurt the NT before the WC. The guy who went to belgium and the rb to ajax.... went MIA and they were solid prospects.

4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And he started after that match agaisnt peru and ecuador , but those matches were terrible and he did it bad...

5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I watched a few of his matches last semester and I thought the same. Much more complete than the defense-first LB I remember him being.

Arias and Cuadrado actually form a pretty decent partnership. They typically produce Colombia's only overlapping runs in a match. The problem is on the left. With Cardona you have a beastly guy who likes to cut in and score, but because of his pace and Fabra's unreliability to get back on defense, Cardona is underutilized. Beyond that, he naturally wants to drift into James' role rather than be pinned to the wing.

Generally speaking, any pacey winger on the left would make more sense in a 4231. Of course, I hold on to the notion that a 4222 with James-Cardona could work just fine with the right wing backs. Angulo could fix that.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I counted three really good passes that his teammates should have buried.
    Good stuff.

7. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I forget how impatient Quintero is; he always pushes forward despite it being awkward for his teammates to receive the ball. Just wants to go forward as always.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

It is weird because a lot of River fans appreciate and love the way he plays. More than Colombians do in many ways.
    It is like a broken record when I say this but his passing and vision are unlike anyone right now available for Pekerman.

Santos Borre on the other hand...
    ... well...
    ... he is playing like Santos Borre unfortunately. Missing too many opportunities.

Man of the Match was Armani though. Many key saves.

9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Borre will end up playing in Colombia soon sadly. Just not good enough

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2810 pepinointer, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    i love your doble measure with players in this forum....

he havent received enough opportunities from a shitty coach depsite beign the best in preseason

his clear chance yestwrday was saved by the keeper....his movements and touching with rest of the team was great actually built paredes with quintero

with gallardo there nobody pf our guys will success......but to say thar borre is "not good enoufh" is like never watching him

11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Quintero have and intereesting first half but didnt create goal options....yeah argentinians have a lot of faith in him because gallardo have only played with him by minutes and he showed quality...still not results

but at the second half he disappeared and was very tired.

for me is very difficult to judge players with gallardo coaching.

but quintero isnt doing merits to be called up.......a year ago he was playing much better in dim and didnt received a called up.

12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he's played exactly the same for years now. I don't see any real changes with him.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The context has changed a bit.
    When he was playing well last season for DIM we did not need him as much. Cardona was available, Cuadrado was healthy and GioMoreno was brought in to be tried out.

Now Cardona is suspended, Cuadrado is injured and I have had enough of a look at GioMoreno (I think many of us have had enough).
    So there is a good chance he can be called in just based on that.

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

"years and years" he only left colombia in june 2016....only a year and half he left....
    nice tergiversation....what are you saying

then you defend anybody...

first have a big competition in villareal with other 4 forwards with experience; depsite that he could scored more goals than dorlan pabon , jackson aristizabal in spain...depsite being quite young

now he arrived to a team that doesnt create options for his forwards; all the players have shitty numbers and gallardo should use pratto because he voat us 15 000 dolars

people should judge in context....it remember me the "rip falcao" . why is so difficult to judge in context of the circustances.

at leats watch the matches...

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thats true i think that gio and chara will be called up for sure...and james.

but use of wingers and matheus as offensive midfielder also can be an alternative

17. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He also scored a couple in the UEL with Villarreal. Not that It makes that much of a difference.

I like Borre but he needs to improve a lot. He has the potential to be as good as Teo (the player that he should mimic IMO) but really needs someone to teach him how to shoot, his touch is one of the best I've seen from a Colombian forward in a long time.

pepinointer repped this.
  18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Man at least use true stats. your hurry to say that “he isnt good enough and check context.

In cali in 2016 he was injured for big part of the season.

He have scored 5 goals at river and 3 assits.

With vilalreal he scored 4 and few assists.

Yeah not the best numbers but at least i watched him...

if you are going to say that "someone" is good enought watch his matches and check the context , you copy wiki profile stats and say !i have reason“ but im not even able to watch the man.

as the best style of the guys of “rip falcao“ and “jackson promise“

Gallardo at this moment is the main issue in river. NOBODY in river have much better stats, no pratto that was buyfor 14 millions dollars.

19. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The competition quality is what is making his name buzz again. Still don’t think he warrants a call up but my sympathy to see kids with talent make it still gives me slight glimmers of hope that maybe this guy can pull himself together and take his career a bit more serious. Time will tell but I think he’s ran out of time to make it into the WC squad.

20. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Competition quality: 2 starts, only have contributed in a play of goal......only one complete match.

lack of clarity at the last 3/4 ....

beyond the argentinan hype and his good actitude trying to push his team.......the performance dosent deserved a called up.

I

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To be fair there are lots of chances that better quality strikers like Falcao would bury so his assist totals don't mean anything to me. What does mean something to me is he is creating chances for his teammates and passing the ball beautifully.

Borre and Piatti are not Falcao and miss things that they should not.

But anyway, if both he & Gio Mo does not get called up then it will be interesting to see what other types of formations and tactics will be applied.

22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    all it would take is for him to lose the ball in MF (happens constantly) and a quick counter-attacking team would have us pay dearly. Than, we would all scream at Pekerman as to why he's even on the pitch. JFQ against France would be :10 minutes of brilliance vs balance of minutes slowly jogging. This team has attacking options outside of Cardona and Cuadrado. At the very least, we'll need to be very tactically disciplined in MF (something we don't get with JFQ) against two very physical teams.

dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah i dont see why called him......if we dont have cardona, cuadrado.......we can play by the wings (izquierdo, chara, pardo).........the importatnt thing is that the one that are called up have merits.

Quintero havent achieved nothinmg at river beyond.....river fans say that he should be starter......yeah indeed with him river played less worse...but he havent been brilliant.

kromekote repped this.
  24. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't see a spot on the field for Juanfer on the national team, unless James plays as an 8 like he plays in Bayern.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Can’t we play other formations without James. I mean him not on the team no one can really replace him. So no real point.

Go back to a 4-2-2-2

Use 2 strikers and Izquerido or Mojica for James at LM.

All this Gio Moreno or Quintero talk confuses me.

The 4-2-3-1 we been doing doesn’t work and Bringing a more classic 10 going to just make us play worse