Juan Carlos Paredes

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by viagoal, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    viagoal repped this.
  2. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    They call him "Hormiga" "the worm" in Ecuador. He is fast and can play either wingback or winger. :thumbsup:

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  3. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll pass that information on to our fans viagoal. :) He is pretty fast and has very decent technical ability. Covered well in the flanks when needed in the group matches. We will look after him well as we have very supportive fans and will give him time to adjust to what is a very physical division.

Bad luck about the World Cup. That late equalizer against the Swiss was so costly. Good luck to you all and at the Copa next year.:thumbsup:

4. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #5 The Machine, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    I'm glad to see JC Paredes make the move to Europe. I hope he works hard and improves upon his game. I imagine that Pedro Velasco will be Barcelona's starting RB now that Paredes is gone. It was not too long ago that many ppl (myself included) were high on Velasco. Should he stay healthy and play well, he will definitely be on the NT's radar. Having depth at any position is never a bad thing.

Question...do you guys think Paredes is good for another WC cycle? He's 27 yrs old so he's right in the thick of his prime. Assuming we qualify, he'll be 31 by the time Russia 2018 rolls around. You gotta ask yourself though, once his speed is gone, how effective will he be? While it varies from player to player, most players start losing a step once they hit their thirties. This is just some food for thought. I like watching Paredes play so I hope he can stay in form and play at a high level for the next four years.

Besides Velasco, what other RB prospects do we have? I guess you can put Narvaez into the discussion. While imo he profiles better as a CB, he mostly plays RB for Emelec. Its a position that's still a work in progress for him. Mario Pineida and to a lesser extent Andres Lopez come to mind as well. That kid from U Catolica also has some promise. I think his name is Carabali.

5. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think he may have 1 more WC in him. Just look at Robben, he's 30 and he seems to not have slowed down one bit lol. I just hope for the sake of the NT he can pick up his Defensive game a bit other than that I see no other problem (Too many people criticize him about not being able to cross, If you remember the game against Poland a few years back, he put in a perfect lob for Chucho (RIP) to head in.

RightBack? I would say Narvaez and Pineida are easily one of the best in that position, Jose Madrid seems to be picking up the pace in Liga though. I think we should mainly be worried about who our next LB, CB (Erazo's partner) and "maybe" Second Striker would be (Unless its true Felipe goes to Espanyol and regains his form)

6. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hmm for LB, three names that come to mind are Pineida, Corozo, and Ramirez. You might remember that Pimeida played RB when he was with the U20 squad. RB might be his more natural position. Sometime during the 2013 season however he started playing LB and he's played that position since then. He does it well too. Ramirez figures to get a look. He's already gotten his feet wet with the NT so we'll see what happens. With Corozo going Spain, it remains to be seen how long it will take for him to consolidate himself. I personally like Pineida. As I've said before, I think he offers the most balance on both sides of the ball.

Who will be Erazo's partner? That's a good question. There are several dudes that I imagine will get a look. Fernando Leon, John Narvaez, Luis Canga, Robert Arboleda, and Andres Mendoza will all get licks. We'd be lucky if two or three of them actually pan out. I have my money on Narvaez, Canga, and Leon. They have all it takes to be quality defenders.

When it comes to strikers...holy crap dude its slim pickings. Marlon De Jesus is the only decent striker that comes to mind. If he knew how to actually finish a play, he and Enner would make a perfect pairing. I still haven't given him on him though. The talent is there and he's still relatively young. He's at the age where most strikers start consolidating themselves.

7. Jefe Esco

Jefe Esco Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    seems like he was actually sold to Granada from the spanish league but is on loan to Watford

8. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    basically the same thing. Grupo Granada owns Granada, Udinese, and Watford. They usually exchange players between the three so Paredes could easily make the jump to one of the other two leagues if he does well in Watford this season. I have a feeling he'll end up in the Serie A next year if he does well in Watford this season.

TrickyCoonVic repped this.
  9. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He has shown some flashes of skill but the pace of the game has left him exposed at times. And he has far less time on the ball. I am sure he will bed in with time as it is a big leap culturally in terms of settling in as it always is for any player coming from South America to Europe particularly here with the language barrier.

He also has been played at right back as yesterday against Rotherham which does not suit him. Our manager needs to play him as a winger as against Bolton on the opening day. He certainly has the skill level to be one of the better players in this division and fingers crossed be in the PL next season.

And yes he did sign for Granada with a loan deal for two years to us. We are part of the Pozzo 'empire'. ;)

barcelonista1981 and damnecuadorian repped this.
  10. Jefe Esco

Jefe Esco Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    was curious as to how the new coach would affect Paredes' play time and etc

11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is his current performances this season:

http://www.squawka.com/players/juan...eason-2014/2015#127#all-matches#1-29#by-match

Suffice to say he has been up and down. He shows great commitment, energy and shows his quality at times. However he is still very inconsistent. It is not helped by the fact he is asked to play fullback at times when he gets exposed. He has been far better as a wingback although his delivery seems to have worsened during the season.

He also has struggled at times to cope with the physicality of some teams and unfortunately yesterday had a pretty poor game being beaten far too easily. However one has to also factor in a midfield infront of him that sometimes does not cover him leaving his and the other flank open.

We do like him though and I would prefer he plays as a winger and if a wingback that he gets proper protection.

12. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Watford secured promotion. We're gonna see Paredes in the Premier League next season :)

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I was about to post this and was looking at their table and noticed that Wigan are going down again! That's really sad I guess, to see a team that gave one of our guys a chance to play in Europe, be relegated twice in 2 years. I also happen to catch a game, Middlesbrough vs Fulham today ,5 goals in what? 3 minutes? and completely forgot about that Rodallega guy.

14. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hasn't even seen the bench this season . What's up with him ?

15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He has come on as a substitute against Everton. And played in the League Cup. However we have a large squad now and JCP may not make the 25 man cut which means he will either be transferred or sent out on loan possibly for a season. I don't think the new manager Quique Flores rates him. Nyom has taken his place.

16. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Saw on his Instagram that he signed with Olympiacos of the Greek leauge